The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Aug 15, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #31 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Haha, I thought your SR60's were your first hifi cans
smily_headphones1.gif
At present I'm quite content with the quality of Zemo's amps, but I would like to go the tube route in the future, but DIY schematics are all in Greek to me
confused.gif

Abe,

The HD-580s were the first ones. I got them a few weeks before the first ever FL meet. rsaavedra showed up with his SR-60s to stay at my place for the meet and when I heard them I was floored! I was listening to them all night. So different from the HD-580...so exciting! I was hooked.

gs

Aug 15, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #32 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
I think its so good that I don't even find the need to upgrade anymore.
tongue.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

There's...there's...a cure? I MUST seek out this remedy and see if it heals me too.

[size=xx-small](emphasis added to quote) [/size]

Aug 15, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #33 of 2,080
HD580 was my first hi-fi phone and they really blew me away everytime I listened to...well, anything really. I did not find them at all veiled or boring, they worked wonders with rock and everything else.

Aug 15, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #34 of 2,080
Alright, HD580 have long been on my list of things to get (along with some 600 grills).

Well, i happen to have one of them birthday things coming up and my folks have been buggin me about what i want. maybe the 580 is the answer.

So.. does anyone know where i can get them in aus? FS forum would be the obvious solution which i'd usually go for, but i'm not sure that my folks can do that
tongue.gif
websites are probably fine though

Aug 15, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #35 of 2,080
damn u guys... I had been seriously considering getting the 580/600 a few weeks ago and had searched the entire net for the cheapest quote and even found one for $141 brand new. But, then instead decided to go for the RS1 and an AMP upgrade, coz some thread sprung up on how great the RS1s were. Now, from this thread, I am itching to go down the road towards the 580 purchase again
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
I DON'T WANT TO THROW MY HARD EARNED MONEY ANYMORE ON HEADPHONES>>>> DON'T U FOLKS UNDERSTAND.... I AM A COLLEGE STUDENT
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #36 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral_Mamba
damn u guys... I had been seriously considering getting the 580/600 a few weeks ago and had searched the entire net for the cheapest quote and even found one for $141 brand new. But, then instead decided to go for the RS1 and an AMP upgrade, coz some thread sprung up on how great the RS1s were. Now, from this thread, I am itching to go down the road towards the 580 purchase again.

Own a highly tweaked 580, heard an RS-1 in depth on 2 occasions. IMO, not much sense owning the 580 if you have the RS-1. The 580 is a nice headphone and does a lot of things well, but I feel the RS-1 is at a whole other level.

Aug 15, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #37 of 2,080
I've had the HD-580s for almost two years and I am fully satisfied with it. The thought of upgrading to the HD 650s doesn't cross my mind. These headphones kick some major butt that's for sure, and for a very reasonable price.

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #38 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
Alright, HD580 have long been on my list of things to get (along with some 600 grills).

Well, i happen to have one of them birthday things coming up and my folks have been buggin me about what i want. maybe the 580 is the answer.

So.. does anyone know where i can get them in aus? FS forum would be the obvious solution which i'd usually go for, but i'm not sure that my folks can do that
tongue.gif
websites are probably fine though

Where, exactly, would you get your 600 Grills? I was checking Sennheiser's site today, and while they've got a full selection of Replacement Headbands, Drivers, Cables, etc. they didn't have the Grills that I could tell. It's a mod I was considering trying on my 580s, so I was curious.

Aug 16, 2005 at 9:24 AM Post #39 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach
Where, exactly, would you get your 600 Grills? I was checking Sennheiser's site today, and while they've got a full selection of Replacement Headbands, Drivers, Cables, etc. they didn't have the Grills that I could tell. It's a mod I was considering trying on my 580s, so I was curious.

I think some HD600 grilles will pop up on the FS forums from time to time, but maybe if you drop Sennheiser an email and tell them you have dented grills that need replaced, maybe they'll send you some for a fee? Also, has anyone tried the HD580 with HD650 grilles? Aren't the HD650 grilles made to a higher spec than HD600?
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Abe,

The HD-580s were the first ones. I got them a few weeks before the first ever FL meet. rsaavedra showed up with his SR-60s to stay at my place for the meet and when I heard them I was floored! I was listening to them all night. So different from the HD-580...so exciting! I was hooked.

gs

Ah, so that's how you got into the SR60's! I still have mine-still love them as much as I ever could, presently next to my new love and short of getting myself a girlfriend
rolleyes.gif
, and I've A/B'd them with the HD580 once just for a moment, and the HD580 had better detail, more soundstage, and more balance. Basically, to my ears they improved on perfection for the extra $40 I paid for mine(blastphemy
wink.gif
), but i will definitely A/B these two again, to draw a better conclusion on it. I do know this though, from only 15 seconds of listening- SA1000's and HD580 are VERY different headphones when it comes to sound, but their comfort levels are equally top notch(leaning presently toward HD580 at the moment).

580smile.gif
Abe

-Listening to G N' R - Rocket Queen on the HD580's as I type. Awesome.

Aug 16, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #40 of 2,080
Sorry to digress from the current discussion, but to whomever that owns or owned both a 580 and 650, what grade of audio source and amp would make the difference in performance between the two very obvious?

For example, would the 650 sound much better on a pimeta into my mid-fi soundcard (emu 1212m) than the 580?

Thank you!

Aug 16, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #41 of 2,080
I have an iPod lineout into a headroom cosmic, but I don't think it'd matter much what source or amp you have, you can hear the difference on anything with some bass. It's still there, but it's just got more of it. I mean, you'll hear the bass on both, but on the 650's you'll feel it some more.

Aug 16, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #42 of 2,080
The 650 sounds to me like a somewhat equalised version of the hd580. The lower bass is upped a bit, a smallish treble hump is eliminated (also some airiness is lost in the process) and everything else gels together better. It also extracts texture slightly better.

650 seemed in the beginning somewhat slower than the hd580, but after doing some silver cabling to my system and modding my soundcard a bit it now sounds pretty fast too.

Aug 19, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #44 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdon
I received my 580's today and in comparison to my Grado SR-80's the sound is veiled. Any idea how to unveil them? Remove pads, cable upgrade?

I've heard of some people that remove the foam part (I've never done this so I can't guarantee anything). A cable upgrade might help, emphasis on might, and personally I think what it is is the fact that you're probably used to the brightness of the SR80 with bowl pads, which is very bright. When you listen to anything less bright, it'll sound veiled, even SR60's with comfy pads, IMHO. I don't care that people mention a veil, personally I think its where they are coming from, from bright headphones to smooth headphones, and therefore they initially don't like them all that much.

I on the other hand love this 580 sound alot!

580smile.gif
Abe

Aug 19, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #45 of 2,080
More than a decade now with my HD580's and still as happy as ever, esp. w/ my SM3 (OPA627's). Itchin' to spend a bit of time with the HD650's after hearin' the Ray's Stealth hooked up to 'em at the SJ meet playin' a Patricia Barber track -- otherwise very happy with 'em. Cheers for the thread!
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back