The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #76 of 2,079
Sorry to get off topic, but if the 580/600 have the same drivers, then at the time the 580 was the top model, what did Sennheiser consider an upgrade to the 580's, just the grills
rolleyes.gif
, don't make sense!
confused.gif

Nov 26, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #77 of 2,079
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Sorry to get off topic, but if the 580/600 have the same drivers, then at the time the 580 was the top model, what did Sennheiser consider an upgrade to the 580's, just the grills
rolleyes.gif
, don't make sense!
confused.gif

Errr..., yes.
tongue.gif
The HD600 features metal mesh grilles, a carbon fiber (instead of plastic) headband, matched drivers and comes in a fancy box. As you may know, it was the HD580 Jubilee anniversary model that was commented on as having better sound than the plain '580 and later led to the HD600. Found a photo of that one... yup, mesh grilles.

Nov 26, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #78 of 2,079
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
...a carbon fiber (instead of plastic) headband...

I think the HD 600's faux marble headband is plastic as well. I've heard the driver's support frame is made of carbon fiber, but AFAIK no one has ever been able to prove it.

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Nov 26, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #79 of 2,079
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Errr..., yes.
tongue.gif
The HD600 features metal mesh grilles, a carbon fiber (instead of plastic) headband, matched drivers and comes in a fancy box. As you may know, it was the HD580 Jubilee anniversary model that was commented on as having better sound than the plain '580 and later led to the HD600. Found a photo of that one... yup, mesh grilles.

Thanks, that really cleared up, what I presumed, was basically the same set of cans. I have seen 580's with the 600/650 grills, is that the Jubilee, or can you mod the 580?

Nov 26, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #80 of 2,079
You can indeed use '600 grilles on plain '580s. (The '650 stock cable will fit, too. IIRC it gives a bit better sound and is less prone to the classic contact problems.)

Nov 26, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #81 of 2,079
The 650's stock cable is the same as the 580/600 stock cable, except with thicker insulation. I recommend the Oehlbach cable sold by Meyer Audio. It's got a different geometry, improving the sound for a budget price. No contact problems with it.

EDIT: Unfortunately, it seems the Oehlbach cable may no longer be avaliable from Meyer Audio as it is not currently listed at Meyer's website.

Nov 26, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #82 of 2,079
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Altorfer
The 650's stock cable is the same as the 580/600 stock cable, except with thicker insulation.

Have people actually cut both cables open and looked at them, then? Who has done this?

Quote:

I recommend the Oehlbach cable sold by Meyer Audio. It's got a different geometry, improving the sound for a budget price. No contact problems with it.

I heard the original Oehlbach and disliked the sound myself. Don't think they're available anymore.

Nov 26, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #83 of 2,079
It's gotta be the best all around headphone under $150. Very articulated, specially instructment separation is superb, very deep bass yet tight at the same time.

It's one headphones which should be everyone's MUST BE on short list.

Nov 26, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #85 of 2,079
Hi Fewtch! How are you doing?
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Have people actually cut both cables open and looked at them, then? Who has done this?

I don't think anybody did that. I remember from reading around here a while back that a Sennheiser employee had disclosed that info.

Quote:

I heard the original Oehlbach and disliked the sound myself.

I remember that. You thought it sounded "flat", whatever that meant, and Jan offered you a modified version to try out. Did you ever get to audition that modded Oehlbach?

Quote:

Don't think they're available anymore.

Huh, yeah. It seems I've been away from Head-Fi too long.

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Nov 26, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #86 of 2,079
Quote:

x2... can someone confirm the AWG is different... 580/600 versus the 650?

About the cable intermittency... didn't scare me. If my cables die, I'm just going to recable it with Canare hot wired straight to the drivers.

Garrett

Nov 26, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #87 of 2,079
I'll check in here.

The 580s were my first really good headphones, long before I joined Head-fi (well there were those hybrid AKGs, but the 580 are better).

I used them for a long time on the headphone jack of an integrated amp with vinyl. After many years, they are still going strong in my office being driven by the Sony D-25s pcdp.

Just before joining head-fi, I "upgraded" to the 600, but the difference was miniscule to my ears.
600smile.gif

Nov 26, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #88 of 2,079
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth
I'm thinking about picking up an HD-580, especially after reading through this thread. But the other thread about the intermittency problem with the wires, which people say that everyone with an 580 will eventually experience, has me a bit freaked out. Any thoughts?

The pair that I have are preowned(see the first part of this thread), yet they don't have this problem, and I get the feeling it won't be an issue in the future. For one thing, I don't think it'll happen to everybody, and I've read on another thread that someone with this problem was able to get it fixed through Sennheiser, but it took a little bit of work to do it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by midlife
Just received my 580's, and am listening to Dvorak -works for cello and orchestra. Lovely sound, and yes I hear the veil when compared to my Grado 325i's. But it's subtle and seems to account for the distancing effect, which along with soundstage is what I bought it for. Glad to see that it's not what I would call dark. Lots of treble energy, but smooth. px100's are dark.

Oh yeah. The HD580's, dark? Pfft! Smooth, but not at all dark. My old HD477's were dark in comparison.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
rolleyes.gif
, don't make sense!
confused.gif

I think its a combination of refined dampening and metal grilles that HD600 owners stepped up to. It's like stepping up in the Grado line of headphones from say, the SR125 to SR225. Metal grilles, better dampening, and I believe the drivers are de-stressed from the factory.

580smile.gif
Abe

Nov 26, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #89 of 2,079
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Altorfer
Hi Fewtch! How are you doing?
biggrin.gif

I'm well Alex, how are you doing?
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I don't think anybody did that. I remember from reading around here a while back that a Sennheiser employee had disclosed that info.

I remember that. You thought it sounded "flat", whatever that meant, and Jan offered you a modified version to try out. Did you ever get to audition that modded Oehlbach?

Basically it lost the 3D aspect of soundstage imaging, to my ears. Everything sounded on the same plane, instruments on back of the stage sounded the same distance from me as instruments on the front. Also the sound wasn't as airy, although bass was definitely more punchy and solid.

I get the impression some people will spend $thousands$ trying to get more punchy bass from Sennheisers, when they could just get a pair of Grados or something and be happy
tongue.gif

I think I just ended up selling the cable and concluded the stock is really good enough for me. I don't want to give up the airy, 3D quality and don't have the funds to search around for the right cable that gives me the sonic balance I like.

P.S. re: intermittency -- I've had my pair for over two years, without a single problem. I thought Sennheiser had fixed this issue long ago? Just treat your Senns nicely and they should be problem free.

Nov 30, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #90 of 2,079
My first post to this board after lurking for a while...

I plan to buy a pair of HD 580's in the next week or two. I do live concert recording and plan to use the 580's as my reference for listening to my recordings. I've got my eye on 4 different <$125 amps to drive them:

Go-Vibe V3
Headsave Classic (used)
PA2V2
Xenos OHA-R

My take on each amp:

Go-Vibe V3: simple, proven design, 1/8" ins/outs with changable op-amp, 9v battery powered

Headsave Classic: step up from Go Vibe, Gold RCA ins, 1/4" out w/changable op-amp, Walwart powered

PA2V2: Proven design, 1/8" ins/outs, AA battery powered

Xenos OHA-R: bi-polar transistor outs, no output capacitor coupling, 1/8" ins/outs, non-changable TI op-amp, 9v Battery powered (can drive 300 ohms)

I'm not looking for hyped sound, just clear power to drive the cans.
If I can find a Headsave Classic cheap I think that would be the best option for me
confused.gif
(I'm watching the one on eBay now) I like the RCA inputs and full sized headphone jack. Also, the ability to upgrade the op-amp is good.

I'm I on the right track here? Is there an option I have overlooked?

Where is a good cheap place to to buy the 580's? J&R = $150 shipped
CompuPlus = $124 (not sure about shipping cost)

I'd really appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back