The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #91 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Basically it lost the 3D aspect of soundstage imaging, to my ears. Everything sounded on the same plane, instruments on back of the stage sounded the same distance from me as instruments on the front. Also the sound wasn't as airy, although bass was definitely more punchy and solid.

I had the exact same experience with Oehlbach. Didn't like it at all. Intermittency problems should be gone, but the cable itself on the hd580 is pretty prone to break. I've destroyed about one per year.

Nov 30, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #92 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calico
My first post to this board after lurking for a while...

I plan to buy a pair of HD 580's in the next week or two. I do live concert recording and plan to use the 580's as my reference for listening to my recordings. I've got my eye on 4 different <$125 amps to drive them:

Go-Vibe V3
Headsave Classic (used)
PA2V2
Xenos OHA-R

My take on each amp:

Go-Vibe V3: simple, proven design, 1/8" ins/outs with changable op-amp, 9v battery powered

Headsave Classic: step up from Go Vibe, Gold RCA ins, 1/4" out w/changable op-amp, Walwart powered

PA2V2: Proven design, 1/8" ins/outs, AA battery powered

Xenos OHA-R: bi-polar transistor outs, no output capacitor coupling, 1/8" ins/outs, non-changable TI op-amp, 9v Battery powered (can drive 300 ohms)

I'm not looking for hyped sound, just clear power to drive the cans.
If I can find a Headsave Classic cheap I think that would be the best option for me
confused.gif
(I'm watching the one on eBay now) I like the RCA inputs and full sized headphone jack. Also, the ability to upgrade the op-amp is good.

I'm I on the right track here? Is there an option I have overlooked?

Where is a good cheap place to to buy the 580's? J&R = $150 shipped
CompuPlus = $124 (not sure about shipping cost)

I'd really appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Chuck

You could always try HeadFi's For Sale/Trade forums, that's where I got mine, for $110 preowned. Of course, if you want to do business there, I highly suggest linking any positive feedback you might have from other sites first.

As far as amps are concerned, the only other amps I could suggest would be variations of Pimetas and the Z-Audio lineup of amps (I have personal experience with these). I'm sure you'll get what fits your needs though. Enjoy your HD580's!

580smile.gif
Abe

Nov 30, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #93 of 2,080
Quote:

I'm well Alex, how are you doing?
smily_headphones1.gif

Huh. I'm looking for a job, but other than that all is well. LOL.

Quote:

Basically it lost the 3D aspect of soundstage imaging, to my ears. Everything sounded on the same plane, instruments on back of the stage sounded the same distance from me as instruments on the front. Also the sound wasn't as airy, although bass was definitely more punchy and solid.

That shows how subjective this whole cable thing is. The Oehlbach seems clearly an improvement to my ears. Sounds warmer and the bass is certainly better with it. Soundstage sounds about the same to me as with the stock cable.

Quote:

I get the impression some people will spend $thousands$ trying to get more punchy bass from Sennheisers, when they could just get a pair of Grados or something and be happy
tongue.gif

LOL. Before Sennheiser I was happy with a pair of U$ 40.00 cans!

Quote:

P.S. re: intermittency -- I've had my pair for over two years, without a single problem. I thought Sennheiser had fixed this issue long ago? Just treat your Senns nicely and they should be problem free.

Thank God I've never had any intermittency problems whatsoever. The Oehlbach cable is physically much bulkier and sturdier than the stock cable and I guess it's gonna last forever.

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Dec 1, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #94 of 2,080
Based on the posts in this thread, I took a look at the HD580 at CompUPlus and ordered a pair. They arrived late yesterday afternoon, and I've been listening with them for about five hours at this point. Their soundstage is already coming in nicely and I've already heard some really beautiful sounds from them - at five hours of use. Piano is exquisite through them, and driving them with a PPA with the Larocco Discrete Buffer, they are giving a positively spritely presentation of the music I'm listening to - NO WAY dull or "laid back". I've already really enjoyed Dance/Trance and a number of my favorite Rock and Techno albums through them. And, of course, Patricia Barber and Holly Cole are already sounding amazing through the HD580. There are really a lot of good reasons why these phones are getting so much love on this thread. I'm really enjoying listening to these phones blossom with use, and am very much looking forward to hearing how their sound will develop over the next 150-200 hours of use. For the $125 (+ $15 shipping) from CompUPlus, these phones offer fantastic bang-for-buck. They are a wonderful addition to my select collection and a beautiful complement to my SR225.

Dec 1, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #95 of 2,080
So everyone seems to love their HD580s, as I do also. They also seem to be the virginal Hi-fi experience with headphones for a lot of folks, same here. But my question is amps and sources. I've always run mine off the X-Cans v2 that I got with the Senns off of Audiogon. And I normally feed it from a Modded Toshiba 3950. So what about other sources and amps? I've heard that there is great synergy in my amp/can setup. Does anyone have any opinions on to-die-for amps that really make the 580s sing?

Thanks.

Todd

Dec 1, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #96 of 2,080
Do not forget the HD600 grills and the nylon replacement for the foam inserts for future upgrades along with the HD650 cable. These are all cheap upgrade paths which may or may not bring you closer to the holy grail.
Happy listening.

Dec 1, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #97 of 2,080
so is the 580 a better buy than the ms1? its close to the same price catagory... im not dogging my ms1's even though they took forever to burn in. but i think i might be happier with a headphone that doesnt rest on my ears and isnt so bright/harsh.

-sam

Dec 1, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #98 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack
Based on the posts in this thread, I took a look at the HD580 at CompUPlus and ordered a pair. They arrived late yesterday afternoon, and I've been listening with them for about five hours at this point. Their soundstage is already coming in nicely and I've already heard some really beautiful sounds from them - at five hours of use. Piano is exquisite through them, and driving them with a PPA with the Larocco Discrete Buffer, they are giving a positively spritely presentation of the music I'm listening to - NO WAY dull or "laid back". I've already really enjoyed Dance/Trance and a number of my favorite Rock and Techno albums through them. And, of course, Patricia Barber and Holly Cole are already sounding amazing through the HD580. There are really a lot of good reasons why these phones are getting so much love on this thread. I'm really enjoying listening to these phones blossom with use, and am very much looking forward to hearing how their sound will develop over the next 150-200 hours of use. For the $125 (+ $15 shipping) from CompUPlus, these phones offer fantastic bang-for-buck. They are a wonderful addition to my select collection and a beautiful complement to my SR225.

Glad you like 'em Steve! Do I see a Beyer DT880 somewhere in your future? (consulting the tea leaves on the bottom of my cup... hmm, could be
tongue.gif
). I shouldn't be pushing the 880 on an HD580 appreciation thread, but IMO they are more detailed and have a bigger sound/headstage than HD580... they're also brighter, which may turn some people off.

Dec 1, 2005 at 8:20 AM Post #99 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePantyThief
so is the 580 a better buy than the ms1? its close to the same price catagory...

-sam

Better at many things, but worse at many other things.... IMHO neither is clearly superior than the other overall.

My oppinions:
Ease of amplification: MS (by a significant margin)
Comfort: HD (by a significant margin)
Dynamics (unamped): MS (by a significant margin)
Dynamics (Moderate Amplification- cmoy/govibe): MS (by a very slight margin)
Dynamics (Stout Amplification- gilmore, Millet, SR71): HD/MS, tie
Soundstage: HD
Bass impact: MS
Sub-Bass extension: HD
Mids: MS
Treble: HD/MS, tie

The verdict?... get em both
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Dec 1, 2005 at 9:07 AM Post #101 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Dynamics: MS (by a significant margin)

Garrett, are you talking micro- or macrodynamics? If the latter, try them with the rear grilles removed, and if you like the difference you might consider getting a set of HD600 grilles. Also, IME HD580 dynamics are possibly the one aspect most affected by amp (and opamp) differences.

Dec 1, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #103 of 2,080
Quote:

Glad you like 'em Steve! Do I see a Beyer DT880 somewhere in your future? (consulting the tea leaves on the bottom of my cup... hmm, could be
tongue.gif
).

Before I get any more phones, I GOTTA get some of your tea leaves because they are spot on! The next two phones on my to-buy list are: DT880 and RS1 (more of a dream that I don't want to let die than a planned purchase).

But for now, I'm putting 150-200 hours of use into these HD580, hearing their sound unfold, and enjoying the experience of re-exploring my music collection with them.

Dec 1, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #104 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack
Before I get any more phones, I GOTTA get some of your tea leaves because they are spot on! The next two phones on my to-buy list are: DT880 and RS1 (more of a dream that I don't want to let die than a planned purchase).

Speaking of which, you could say the DT880 has a sound/headstage to die for
smily_headphones1.gif
. IMO the HD580 sounds constricted in all directions in comparison... check out gerG's review in the "full featured reviews" section where he actually suspected Beyer was using some electronics inside the headphones to expand the stage! (AFAIK confirmed false by people who have taken them apart).

They're also substantially more detailed than the HD580, which is awesome for picking up on concert hall reverbations that further boost the soundstage illusion. They are less "romantic" sounding than the 580s though, and that's taken me some getting used to. I think the DT880 are objectively better headphones in many ways, but are definitely not going to be subjectively better sounding to everyone. Anyway, apologies for the slight topic diversion, back to the HD580 love...

Dec 1, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #105 of 2,080
Quote:

Also, IME HD580 dynamics are possibly the one aspect most affected by amp (and opamp) differences.

I agree. I borrowed a ASL twin head amp and the most noticable change is the dynamic range is increased. Slightly tighter bass response as well, compared to my EAR plus HD and Govibe, but the depth and dynamics are quite noticably improved. I wonder which solid state amps would do the same. Or opamp if my govibe is capeable of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back