The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
May 17, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #1,756 of 2,080
I sold off my old pair....developed ebola and of course had to have it back like immediately!! How could I have been so foolish as to part with my hd580?
Madness!

Oh well...I rebought it back again...now in wonderfully purple and matte black finish:)
Out of my Valhalla 2 it makes me think..again and again..what in the blue feck do I need the 9 other headphones in my apartment for?

Purple? Do you have a photo?

May 17, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #1,757 of 2,080
I do actually but I am also a complete buffoon when it comes to my phone, so I need outside assistance in order to post pics...
Yeah..ahem...but I am insanely good at tying shoes and drawing fiery phoenixes:p

May 17, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #1,758 of 2,080
Kammerat Rebekka has asked me to share the photo of the purple 580's on his behalf, so here it is:
580p.png

May 17, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #1,760 of 2,080
No the Massdrop HD6xx is a slightly modified version pf Sennheiser's HD650 which has a rather different sound signature to the HD580.

They do sound different, but they have a similar sound signature. That is to say they sound closer to each other than either does to another headphone.

There’s also potentially some differences between any given pair of 580s and some may sound closer to the 650 than another 580.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #1,761 of 2,080
I sold off my old pair....developed ebola and of course had to have it back like immediately!! How could I have been so foolish as to part with my hd580?
Madness!

Oh well...I rebought it back again...now in wonderfully purple and matte black finish:)
Out of my Valhalla 2 it makes me think..again and again..what in the blue feck do I need the 9 other headphones in my apartment for?

I hear ya. I have the HD650, HD600, HD58X, HD800S, Elear, Amiron, etc - but the HD580 probably get the most play time. Though some of the other headphones might sound better in some ways, the HD580 are like a well-worn comfy pair of jeans that always "fit" perfectly (in comfort and sound).

May 18, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #1,762 of 2,080
I hear ya. I have the HD650, HD600, HD58X, HD800S, Elear, Amiron, etc - but the HD580 probably get the most play time. Though some of the other headphones might sound better in some ways, the HD580 are like a well-worn comfy pair of jeans that always "fit" perfectly (in comfort and sound).

That's a good way to put it. With the HD580s, you don't think about the headphones.

This is good, because wife and I are moving into tighter quarters, so the Sennys are gonna get more ear time :wink:

May 19, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #1,763 of 2,080
That is actually pretty damn close to my thoughts on the ol Sennie: comfy like an old pair of slippers and music just flows effortlessly.
It’s the same feeling I get from the R70x - a can that, at least to me, trumps the classic in several areas - most notably the bass and deeeeep bass. The Audio Technica remains the most natural sounding can in my house, yet this old Sennie classic seems to have a way with mids and a slightly brighter tilt that brings some ying to my yang.
I would have a hard time picking favourites - most especially between my designated tube-cans: the 580, the R70x and the wonderfully obscure but equally thrilling K260. They all seem to harness a certain touch of the inexplicable.

I really do love this headphone...the flamboyant touch up by team Barbiebatman is also highly appreciated!

Jul 29, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #1,764 of 2,080
That's a good way to put it. With the HD580s, you don't think about the headphones.

This is good, because wife and I are moving into tighter quarters, so the Sennys are gonna get more ear time :wink:

The audio gear is packed up for the move to the land of humidity, it goes on the truck Thursday.
But I'm listening to my HD580s on the laptop with the dragonfly as I type.

I'll be here for at least a couple more months getting the house sold, I have to unpack the back up stereo system and set it back up..
a MAC1900 and a pair of HPM-100s :wink:

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #1,765 of 2,080
I've had the HD580s for a good long while. I bought them used from another Head-fi user. I recently did a pad swap. I also had to replace the cable due to the left side cutting in and out.

On black friday I saw that the 6XX was going for $180 with extra pads. I couldn't pass that kind of deal up, so I went ahead and bought a pair. Tonight I've been A/Bing both of these great pairs of headphones.

To start this comparison off I want to say that my pair of 580s is a 3rd gen (raised name plate/darker driver cover) so what I'm saying may sound different on your set.

The 6XX has more bass response than the 580. This isn't necessarily good or bad, I just perceive there to be more. I'm not really a bass head (quite the contrary actually; I love my mids and treble more so than bass response.) I wouldn't call the 6XX "bassy" but it is boosted in upper bass frequencies which I think can impact mid clarity. The 580 is missing that boosted bass, but in return there is an "unveiling" of more mid/high detail.

I'm also hearing some boosted lower mids in the 6XX versus the HD 580. the 580 seems a little more balanced from lower to upper mids while the 6XX sounds a little more "full". This difference is what I believe leads people to say that the 6XX is less fatiguing and can pair with almost any genre. For me however it is hard for me to pick the 6XX back up after hearing the more balance sound of the 580.

I'm perceiving the highs of the 650 to be lower than that of the 580. The 580 seems a little sharper and more detailed. there is less of a veil, and the little details in the treble pop more. zings, zaps, ticks and other little noises are easier to pick up, and their positions are more exactly presented in the sound stage.

Speaking of sound stage, I am not noticing much of a difference here. Both of these headphones are very intimate. perhaps the 6XX is just slightly bigger/wider, but I wouldn't consider either to have a strong advantage there.

So I'll admit after hearing the 6XX I think it has lead me to admire the 580 even more. The 580 just seems a little more balanced and even tempered in the bass response. I don't think that the 6XX is worse, but it certainly doesn't have an overall advantage. To my ears these headphones trade blows in different categories. for hip hop / rap / poorly mastered music I'm going to reach for the 6XX. For anything else I'll probably grab the 580.

NOTE: I'm using the 580s with the default grills. I should also note that I am not a believer in burn in. Comparisons were made shortly after receiving the 6XX in the mail.

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #1,766 of 2,080
I got a used pair of HD580 Precision about a year ago. I think they are what has been referred to earlier as the 3rd version. Raised logo not printed and made in Ireland. They have had new headband pad, HD650 cable, HD600 grilles and new pads. Sound amazing to me. And yes for the price of all that I could probably have just bought a used HD600. Too late for that thought though.

A question for you guys. I mostly listen to my music from my Stereo Receiver but occasionally I play online poker and thus if I have my headphones on (linked to the stereo receiver) I can't hear the laptop's poker audio and can miss hands etc. Sooo I am looking for a cheap (very cheap. lol) option to be able to use my HD580s connected to my laptop when playing poker and listen to music in FLAC/MP3 format. Direct into my laptop they just sound like any old cheapo headphones, I assume due to the on board soundcard (realtek HD audio.) If possible this option should be able to drive my AKG Sextetts too (600ohm)

I had been looking though all sorts of threads which of course go through a range of dates so some are outdated, but I don't mind buying something old if it works for me.
I had been reading through the Walnut thread after spotting the Walnut F2 but I'm unsure if it would; firstly drive the headphones; secondly I read the DAC only does certain file types not including FLAC.

Any other suggestions? Needs to be in the cheap section (like the Walnut) and US posters should be aware that many of the options on the threads are much cheaper in the US than over here in the UK. FYI the Walnut is about $30 which is no problem. Anything under $100/£80 would be fine. Don't mind if it is an all in one or separate units. New or used. Just a cheapish option to let me use my headphones on my laptop when necessary.

I don;t do gaming or anything like that. Just after good stereo sound from my music :)

I should add that I'm not keen on the Dragonfly type of dongle. I am a clumsy screw** and I would prefer a USB cable than a dongle because I would snap it within days if not hours. lol

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #1,767 of 2,080
I got a used pair of HD580 Precision about a year ago. I think they are what has been referred to earlier as the 3rd version. Raised logo not printed and made in Ireland. They have had new headband pad, HD650 cable, HD600 grilles and new pads. Sound amazing to me. And yes for the price of all that I could probably have just bought a used HD600. Too late for that thought though.

A question for you guys. I mostly listen to my music from my Stereo Receiver but occasionally I play online poker and thus if I have my headphones on (linked to the stereo receiver) I can't hear the laptop's poker audio and can miss hands etc. Sooo I am looking for a cheap (very cheap. lol) option to be able to use my HD580s connected to my laptop when playing poker and listen to music in FLAC/MP3 format. Direct into my laptop they just sound like any old cheapo headphones, I assume due to the on board soundcard (realtek HD audio.) If possible this option should be able to drive my AKG Sextetts too (600ohm)

I had been looking though all sorts of threads which of course go through a range of dates so some are outdated, but I don't mind buying something old if it works for me.
I had been reading through the Walnut thread after spotting the Walnut F2 but I'm unsure if it would; firstly drive the headphones; secondly I read the DAC only does certain file types not including FLAC.

Any other suggestions? Needs to be in the cheap section (like the Walnut) and US posters should be aware that many of the options on the threads are much cheaper in the US than over here in the UK. FYI the Walnut is about $30 which is no problem. Anything under $100/£80 would be fine. Don't mind if it is an all in one or separate units. New or used. Just a cheapish option to let me use my headphones on my laptop when necessary.

I don;t do gaming or anything like that. Just after good stereo sound from my music :)

I should add that I'm not keen on the Dragonfly type of dongle. I am a clumsy screw** and I would prefer a USB cable than a dongle because I would snap it within days if not hours. lol

The HD580 with hd600 grills was one of the biggest nudges that pushed me into this hobby. From there I chased down tons gear to push everything to the limit before I finally found an all in one dac-amp that satisfied all my needs.

Along the way, I discovered that the HD580 isn't super picky, but when paired well, they are incredibly satisfying.

The absolute best pairing to my ears was with a Beresford Bushmaster Mkii. I don't believe that model is made any more as most people want a usb option, however, I do believe Beresford Audio is based out of the UK so hopefully pricing is lower.

The dac-amp is past your budget (£179.99, I believe), but maybe you can find a used one?

Meier audio used the hd580/600/650 to tune most of the gear as well, so old Meier Cordas make for great pairings.

As for lower budget, ifi makes absolutely killer gear for the price, maybe their nano dac would fit the bill?

As for me, I ended up with an Audio-GD dac-amp and couldn't be happier with it.

A killer entry level all-in-one device would be a Beresford

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #1,768 of 2,080

Can you go up to Schiit Fulla 2 or Fulla 3? (Version 3 is present version but not numbered now, but what I am mentioning of is not a big dongle style original version.)
You can connect that by USB or analog input.
$99 for new, but maybe you can find it under $100 in UK?
They have enough power to play music on hard to drive DT990 edition 600ohm or T50RPmk3.
Well implemented AK4490 DAC chip which sounds balanced and nice for its price as well.

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #1,769 of 2,080
The HD580 with hd600 grills was one of the biggest nudges that pushed me into this hobby. From there I chased down tons gear to push everything to the limit before I finally found an all in one dac-amp that satisfied all my needs.

Along the way, I discovered that the HD580 isn't super picky, but when paired well, they are incredibly satisfying.

The absolute best pairing to my ears was with a Beresford Bushmaster Mkii. I don't believe that model is made any more as most people want a usb option, however, I do believe Beresford Audio is based out of the UK so hopefully pricing is lower.

The dac-amp is past your budget (£179.99, I believe), but maybe you can find a used one?

Meier audio used the hd580/600/650 to tune most of the gear as well, so old Meier Cordas make for great pairings.

As for lower budget, ifi makes absolutely killer gear for the price, maybe their nano dac would fit the bill?

As for me, I ended up with an Audio-GD dac-amp and couldn't be happier with it.

A killer entry level all-in-one device would be a Beresford

Thanks for all this info. I've hade a look at the Beresford website but they don;t seem to do an all in one with USB. On the Meier front they are actually more expensive in the UK than US (before shipping) due to EU rules on VAT. Both options are a bit above what I was looking at originally though but...............

Can you go up to Schiit Fulla 2 or Fulla 3? (Version 3 is present version but not numbered now, but what I am mentioning of is not a big dongle style original version.)
You can connect that by USB or analog input.
$99 for new, but maybe you can find it under $100 in UK?
They have enough power to play music on hard to drive DT990 edition 600ohm or T50RPmk3.
Well implemented AK4490 DAC chip which sounds balanced and nice for its price as well.

I could go up to that but I guess I didn't really explain how and why so cheap. I will 95-99% of the time use my headphones out of the 70s Stereo receiver and/or my Yamaha AV. I am after something cheap just to plug my laptop into when I want to listen to music AND play poker. If I listened from the stereo receiver I wouldn't hear the pokerstars alerts and if I listen direct from the laptop, even with some lower power headphones like the wife's HD558 or the kid's HD461 and Momentum then it sounds ****. lol.

So I'm not wasn't* really looking to get anything flashy. Just something "cheap and cheerful" that can bypass my bog standard soundcard and improve the music audio while also having a bit more "Oomph" so I can use my headphones rather than have to resort to the kid's/wife's lower power headphones. It definitely is the laptop because all those lower power headphones above sound pretty good plugged into my receivers. Not HD580/Sextett good but still a league above your standard fare no brand stuff.

*Saying that I was researching all last night and got a little carried away reading about tube amps and the like. I have no idea why because I'm the kind of person that wants the sound to be as pure and untouched as possible. My Yamaha AV is set to straight all the time, no DSP, No Equaliser or bass/treble. The only time I use any "adjustments" is if I am on an SD music channel where I will use the "music enhancer" option. With my Stereo receiver I add a touch of bass and a touch of treble. With that in mind is a tube amp for me? I was originally looking at the Bravo Ocean but after researching more am thinking more "Little Dot Mk2."

I think I need talking out off the tube amp. It would probably be left in a draw for years once the novelty wore off. lol.

So some cheaper options I did come across

I was looking at this DAC which I could then pick some nice timber OR veneer and make my own posh box for it:
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32880513465.html

Then I would just need a cheap amp to plug it into. Maybe tube, maybe not :)

Other "combi" options I looked at are;

KGUSS DAC K3:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32963229276.html?af=240682&utm_campaign=240682&aff_platform=aaf&utm_medium=cpa&afref=https://www.head-fi.org/threads/impressions-thread-about-obscure-budget-chinese-dac-amp-best-finds-reference-list.853311/page-13&dp=fedeb36496baa18912d44b24aabb3dee&cv=47843&mall_affr=pr3&sk=VnYZvQVf&aff_trace_key=30f07ab14e334e668934713f722da5b5-1587311442746-06296-VnYZvQVf&terminal_id=064a013aaae045b7997cc8c48c7f6f91&tmLog=new_Detail&utm_source=admitad&utm_content=47843&aff_request_id=30f07ab14e334e668934713f722da5b5-1587311442746-06296-VnYZvQVf

SMSL M3:
https://www.soundimports.eu/en/smsl...MIiZXTqO7y6AIVQeztCh3BFgPwEAkYAyABEgLd6PD_BwE

Fiio Q1ii:
https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/p...X&ved=0ahUKEwjd0aLm7vLoAhXnAmMBHYe2Cj8QrhIIQw

There is also the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro which is very cheap but looks (IMO) rubbish. I am kind of vain. lol. I guess aesthetics at this price is a big trade off. Maybe I could make a better looking box for this one?

To be honest at the moment I am still veering towards the little dot Mk2 fed by the Luxya "non boxed" DAC.

And yes I know I've replied the above suggestions are more than I want to pay but as you can see (and you all know) budgets do often get forgotten when you get into something. lol.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #1,770 of 2,080
Thanks for all this info. I've hade a look at the Beresford website but they don;t seem to do an all in one with USB. On the Meier front they are actually more expensive in the UK than US (before shipping) due to EU rules on VAT. Both options are a bit above what I was looking at originally though but...............

I could go up to that but I guess I didn't really explain how and why so cheap. I will 95-99% of the time use my headphones out of the 70s Stereo receiver and/or my Yamaha AV. I am after something cheap just to plug my laptop into when I want to listen to music AND play poker. If I listened from the stereo receiver I wouldn't hear the pokerstars alerts and if I listen direct from the laptop, even with some lower power headphones like the wife's HD558 or the kid's HD461 and Momentum then it sounds ****. lol.

So I'm not wasn't* really looking to get anything flashy. Just something "cheap and cheerful" that can bypass my bog standard soundcard and improve the music audio while also having a bit more "Oomph" so I can use my headphones rather than have to resort to the kid's/wife's lower power headphones. It definitely is the laptop because all those lower power headphones above sound pretty good plugged into my receivers. Not HD580/Sextett good but still a league above your standard fare no brand stuff.

*Saying that I was researching all last night and got a little carried away reading about tube amps and the like. I have no idea why because I'm the kind of person that wants the sound to be as pure and untouched as possible. My Yamaha AV is set to straight all the time, no DSP, No Equaliser or bass/treble. The only time I use any "adjustments" is if I am on an SD music channel where I will use the "music enhancer" option. With my Stereo receiver I add a touch of bass and a touch of treble. With that in mind is a tube amp for me? I was originally looking at the Bravo Ocean but after researching more am thinking more "Little Dot Mk2."

I think I need talking out off the tube amp. It would probably be left in a draw for years once the novelty wore off. lol.

So some cheaper options I did come across

I was looking at this DAC which I could then pick some nice timber OR veneer and make my own posh box for it:
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32880513465.html

Then I would just need a cheap amp to plug it into. Maybe tube, maybe not :)

Other "combi" options I looked at are;

KGUSS DAC K3:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32963229276.html?af=240682&utm_campaign=240682&aff_platform=aaf&utm_medium=cpa&afref=https://www.head-fi.org/threads/impressions-thread-about-obscure-budget-chinese-dac-amp-best-finds-reference-list.853311/page-13&dp=fedeb36496baa18912d44b24aabb3dee&cv=47843&mall_affr=pr3&sk=VnYZvQVf&aff_trace_key=30f07ab14e334e668934713f722da5b5-1587311442746-06296-VnYZvQVf&terminal_id=064a013aaae045b7997cc8c48c7f6f91&tmLog=new_Detail&utm_source=admitad&utm_content=47843&aff_request_id=30f07ab14e334e668934713f722da5b5-1587311442746-06296-VnYZvQVf

SMSL M3:
https://www.soundimports.eu/en/smsl...MIiZXTqO7y6AIVQeztCh3BFgPwEAkYAyABEgLd6PD_BwE

Fiio Q1ii:
https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/p...X&ved=0ahUKEwjd0aLm7vLoAhXnAmMBHYe2Cj8QrhIIQw

There is also the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro which is very cheap but looks (IMO) rubbish. I am kind of vain. lol. I guess aesthetics at this price is a big trade off. Maybe I could make a better looking box for this one?

To be honest at the moment I am still veering towards the little dot Mk2 fed by the Luxya "non boxed" DAC.

And yes I know I've replied the above suggestions are more than I want to pay but as you can see (and you all know) budgets do often get forgotten when you get into something. lol.

I second the Schiit Fulla 3 recommendation. $99 USD and will sound better than any other combo units out there under $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back