The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #1,726 of 2,080
The link is a raised nameplate version (ie. the later more euphonic version). The nameplate (if there is one) is on the outside of the yoke with the words "HD580 precision". Early versions were printed rather than having a nameplate. The initial version was made in Germany (printed), then made in Ireland (printed), the later versions were also made in Ireland with raised nameplates.

Oh i see what you mean now. Thanks for clarifying it. There were no pics of side view on the ad for mine, so i have no idea till it arrives.

Sometimes the anticipation is more than the actual experience, but i hope this is an exemption and the experience blows the anticipation out of the water.

giphy.gif

Jun 22, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,727 of 2,080
The price will usually be indicative of the versiion. Early versions and of course the Jubilee sell for higher prices assuming the seller realises the value of the item. If you like euphonic sound then the raised nameplate will be what you are after, if you prefer more purity, less thickness, more detail then the printed versions will be what you require. The older versions are rarer so the likelihood is it will be a later raised nameplate model. Still great headphones whatever you get. Let us know when they arrive.

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #1,729 of 2,080
The price will usually be indicative of the versiion. Early versions and of course the Jubilee sell for higher prices assuming the seller realises the value of the item. If you like euphonic sound then the raised nameplate will be what you are after, if you prefer more purity, less thickness, more detail then the printed versions will be what you require. The older versions are rarer so the likelihood is it will be a later raised nameplate model. Still great headphones whatever you get. Let us know when they arrive.
hd580.jpg

Needless to say, twas the Irish one

but seems to be NOS, immaculate. :D

I will say , they are not as ugly in flesh as in pics lol

Like I need to say anything about its musicality.:p I'll keep it short:

Defo not an all rounder IMO, but in when it hits the spot on certain tracks, very noice. Midrange timbre realistic/good vocals , smooth highs (slight lack of sparkle/sizzle/), sub-bassless to a degree, but drums come alive. I did not suspect extension issues per se on both ends, just could be tightened up a bit in lower end (30-60hz) and wish for some more sparkle (though i should mention i am a beyer fan so its more preference really). OLD IS GOLD.

giphy.gif

Jun 28, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #1,730 of 2,080
If you want more sparkle, you can cut a small hole in the foam cover (sometimes called coin mod). Top end (10khz+) will come alive after this simple mod :)

Jun 29, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #1,732 of 2,080
@SHAMuuu - if you're interested you can find out whether it's an early or late model raised nameplate. Remove the earpads, remove the disc - dark driver screen earlier (3rd version) or bright driver screen later (4th version). I am surprised you say it is not an all-rounder as it is fairly neutral that should make the musical genre irrelevant. The treble was one of my favourite aspects of this headphone (before I sold it) and it never had the glare of my Beyerdynamic DT880.

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #1,733 of 2,080
@SHAMuuu - if you're interested you can find out whether it's an early or late model raised nameplate. Remove the earpads, remove the disc - dark driver screen earlier (3rd version) or bright driver screen later (4th version). I am surprised you say it is not an all-rounder as it is fairly neutral that should make the musical genre irrelevant. The treble was one of my favourite aspects of this headphone (before I sold it) and it never had the glare of my Beyerdynamic DT880.

I think mine must be the third version, but there may have been a driver change before going to the bright screen? Or was it after? Might I have HD600 drivers in this one? The person I bought it from nearly a year ago did not seem to know when he had gotten it. I actually think he probably was not the first owner and did not want to say.

Whatever it is, it sounds great through my little tube amp with everything. I need to try it with my desktop setup again soon as I have different dac/amp at my PC than I did when these arrived.

Here are a couple of photos I took last autumn when I had the pads off to put on new pads. They had come with worn out pads and crumbling foam.

R0012645.JPG
R0012650.JPG

Jun 29, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #1,734 of 2,080
They had come with worn out pads and crumbling foam.
It sometimes surprises me the condition these vintage headphones arrive in. My early version came with the headband foam completely flat and the foam discs with holes. It's unfortunate the way some people let their headphones deteriorate, its not that I would expect someone to supply a new set of earpads. I have a suspicion that the sound of the 580/600/650 comes from a combination of the earcup and grill and that the drivers make virtually no difference. This could be wrong of course.

Jun 29, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #1,735 of 2,080
If you want more sparkle, you can cut a small hole in the foam cover (sometimes called coin mod). Top end (10khz+) will come alive after this simple mod :)

Thanks for the tip. I might give these a go after the burn in period.

Looks like a 4th version , look like 600 drivers. Maybe these have more colorations than the early Ireland or German version with less mid bass hump and roll offs on both ends. I say all this relatively, and yes they are neutral in a sense, but there is "enhancement" which seem to make these musical much like the Sextett. As one can differentiate this color between a Sextett to Monitor transition AND VICE VERSA A/B, it is the same when i go from 580 to 880 or dt48/480. The enhancement is great and very engaging, however in complex pieces like Retro Synthwave , the wrong parts of the beats jump out, and the "musicality" characteristics cause issues in the delivery, precisely in the sub bass and upper treble which due to roll off and mid bass hump slighly haze the fast beats. 90s dance/ Hip hop music also is not the best on these, though no necessarily bad. I also prefer Beyer for classical, where the treble edginess is a plus IMO. This is why i don't consider these an all rounder.

However, i don't think anyone recommends these for hip hop or retro synthwave or 90s music or as the go to for classical.
In saying that, i spent time listening to Sarah McLaughlin, Roy Orbison and their voices come out like explosions of magic.
Bands like Tragically Hip shine, whereas a group like Thievery Corporation can struggle at times with their incorporation of some Hindustani classical instruments with their other strange beats.
I thought it did Rock/Metal pretty well, but I found those shine more on Sextett (LP w/1540 pads)

I hope that explains my early impressions of why i found these as excellent, but not necessarily for all genres. But i don't think this is news by now lol. They are what 25 years old? I consider something like a dt150 more of an all rounder.

I don't need to say how legendary these are, and its very clear why they are. From its modular design to its musical signature.

Whats funny is the one thing i was concerned with most was painting the grills or swapping in 600/650 grills, but now i love to look at it. :D

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #1,736 of 2,080
Interesting thoughts SHAMuuu, the bass and treble extension are not as good as say a HD600. The drivers can't handle sub-bass and will distort if you try to force it with EQ. They are a bit euphonic, more so than the early models but less than a HD600. If I listened to my DT880 for a few hours and then switched to my HD580 (the raised plate model) initially they sounded crackly like the drivers were on the way out such is the lack of euphonic sound (harmonic distortion) on the DT880. Then once I listened further I didn't notice the euphonic nature of the HD580 and they didn't sound like the drivers were faulty. The grills of the HD580 are tough and do have a certain style, although they are not a stylish as the later grils. I tend not to modify headphones (even cables) as I usually prefer the original sound. Here's a site showing some modifications for the HD580 I would never do http://apuresound.com/hdsennmod.html
nice picture

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #1,737 of 2,080
Is there a senns 500 line that comes very close to the HD580 sound? Thanks.

Aug 18, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #1,738 of 2,080
Interesting thoughts SHAMuuu, the bass and treble extension are not as good as say a HD600. The drivers can't handle sub-bass and will distort if you try to force it with EQ. They are a bit euphonic, more so than the early models but less than a HD600. If I listened to my DT880 for a few hours and then switched to my HD580 (the raised plate model) initially they sounded crackly like the drivers were on the way out such is the lack of euphonic sound (harmonic distortion) on the DT880. Then once I listened further I didn't notice the euphonic nature of the HD580 and they didn't sound like the drivers were faulty. The grills of the HD580 are tough and do have a certain style, although they are not a stylish as the later grils. I tend not to modify headphones (even cables) as I usually prefer the original sound. Here's a site showing some modifications for the HD580 I would never do http://apuresound.com/hdsennmod.html
nice picture

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. This issue with the 580s is their drivability (or lack of it) and no amount of equalisation is going to fix that. I do my listening via my iMac running through my Burson PLAY. I have Flare Gold iems and run the PLAY volume between 6 and 10 depending on source. With the 580s I'm over 20 and the volume sounds the same. The power supplied by the Burson has just brought my 580s to life. They now sing! Yes, they wouldn't be my first choice for a number of genres where my Golds excel but they do handle all music very well. And, powered well, that sub bass is definitely there. I've heard the 600s and the only real difference is that are easier to drive. I'm not going to be taking the 580s on my travels - that's what iems are for - but they play classical music so beautifully I can't give them up.

Aug 18, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #1,739 of 2,080
I find there are some quite subtle differences between the HD580 and HD600 as well as the HD600 being easier to drive. To me the HD580s have a more plain sort of sound, with less mid-bass. The HD600s have slightly more bass and overall a more extended, fuller, polished sound. As for sub-bass I can't hear anything below 50Hz, very little of my music collection has any sub-bass in it at all.

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #1,740 of 2,080
Recently got a brand new 580 and took it apart to compare with my first pair. Both are raised name plates made in Ireland.

My first pair is on the left, new pair on the right. Looks and feels like the silk screen is a different material. I assume the left one is a 3rd gen. I've read posts saying the 4th gen has a silver screen? Mine is still black (it is a little lighter black, but not as gray as it looks in the photo, that is caused by my cameras flash). Could it be due to age? One is well worn while the other is brand new.

IMG_20180927_105322.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back