The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
May 28, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #1,786 of 2,080
Well, to be honest it is a very small difference. With the 58X metal grills, it comes very close to the 600 in sound. The original plastic grills make it a little brighter actually.
My guess is this is due to manufacturing differences and perhaps the back foam dampening has aged. Also, the brightness I am hearing with the 580 is only in the upper mids, not the treble which does sound pretty much the same to me as the 600. The 650 is absolutely darker than both the 600 and 580.

I heard another 580 years ago, but I can't remember exactly how it sounded. I was also comparing it to the Beyer DT880 at the time, which obviously is a much brighter headphone than any of the Sennheisers.

I am pretty sure I have the same iteration HD580 as you, with the HD650 grill swap. Mine was purchased used from an estate from the audio store that originally sold it the former customer, his widow had the owner appraise all of his gear and gave him first "dibs" before the auction company.

I've had it for it for years at this point and so did he. The earpads and head pad had to be replaced, but the speaker foam seems to be fully intact. (I had an old koss esp-950 where the foam completely disintegrated).

I can safely say the HD580's sound changes noticeably enough when you change the grille or even replace worn out earpads. But at no point would I describe any combo bright by any means, however, I do lean towards a bright can.

I would recommended contacting Sennheiser and see if they have a replacement part for the foam. I'm not certain, but they may be included with a fresh set of earpads.

May 31, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #1,788 of 2,080
The Sennheiser replecement ear pads come with the foam insert. Not sure about the Dekoni. I removed the inserts from my 580s and prefer the sound compared to having them in.
I also prefer them removed. To protect the drivers, I stretch women's pantyhose across the cup, click the pads back in, then trim the excess.

Jun 3, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #1,789 of 2,080
Hi everyone, new here. Just ordered a pair of 580 refurbs, I was hoping someone could help identify the model of 580 I have on the way. The seller has given me these pictures, note the hd600 2019 headband and all different foam. Seems like a 3rd or 4th gen but the material colour is making me uncertain. I can see the slightly lighter ring through the grille. I will not be changing to the 600 grilles, I like the design of these although I wish I had some spares to paint black and make a stealth build from them. Seller states the drivers are original, I do plan on buying 600s in the future.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Jun 4, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #1,790 of 2,080
Hi Unsolved Mistry and welcome to Headfi. The driver screen tells you if it's an older or newer version. If it has a dark driver screen then it's an older model (3rd version), light driver screens were the last ones Sennheiser manufactured (4th version). The HD600 has a slightly different and more polished sound whereas the HD580 is plainer and slightly less full sounding.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #1,791 of 2,080
Hi Unsolved Mistry and welcome to Headfi. The driver screen tells you if it's an older or newer version. If it has a dark driver screen then it's an older model (3rd version), light driver screens were the last ones Sennheiser manufactured (4th version). The HD600 has a slightly different and more polished sound whereas the HD580 is plainer and slightly less full sounding.

I don't know why but mine has white paper screen on left and black paper screen on right.
Flat name.
I bought it new many years ago.

Jun 4, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #1,794 of 2,080
You've got the same version as I have (2nd version). Mine don't have different colour driver screens though. Unusual as you bought it new, eliminating a previous owner changing one of the screens.

Jun 6, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #1,795 of 2,080
Hello. I've found a 2nd gen flat plate Made in Ireland HD580 for sale with an original box and documentation. The seller claims that he is the original owner and that the headphones have never been used. He told me that he tested them and they are fully functional. The headphones look rough: the headband padding and foam disks have disintegrated and is all over the place. I actually have new original HD650 headband padding and pads with foam disks, so I'm not worried about that though.

We kind of agreed to a 170 € (~192$) shipped price, but the seller (apparently he's an older dude) doesn't have a PayPal and that concerns me a bit. I'm not certain but I might be able to negotiate a price just a bit more, I think.

Anyway, do you think they are worth ~190$?

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #1,796 of 2,080
I also prefer them removed. To protect the drivers, I stretch women's pantyhose across the cup, click the pads back in, then trim the excess.

WE all differ I suppose. I bought some new Genuine pads which came with the foams. tried them without, didn't particularly like them so put the foam in and that was my sweet spot :)

I have the same one as the poster who thought they were bright. Not sure I would describe them as bright though even when they had the original grilles.

Jun 6, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #1,797 of 2,080
The BH crack kit arrived about a week ago. I used the original base planks as a guide for measurements but I made mine 10cm tall instead of 9cm.

Teaser here for you. This base won't be finished for a month or so. This is it in rough form. Not sanded yet, not had the corners rounded yet not oiled etc.

This is cut from a plank of Santos Rosewood. Not much scrap left as I was tight with the measurements and had to trust I would get it right :wink:

I do have some of this same veneer in the cupboard so I might make and then veneer the original base to sell on easybay and get a little bit of money back :)

IMG_4170.JPG

As for the actual crack!! It is built. Still stock minus speedball at the moment. TBH I was quite underwhelmed with the stock setup. I don't think it matched my 70s Trio Solid State for musicality.................and then I put in a TUNG SOL 5998. I got lucky on ebay last week and bought 2 used for £40. Suddenly this thing rocks. The stock 6080 is a makeweight IMO.

Unfortunately for this thread with this amp, and me being a rocker, the modded 580s can't compete with the Sextett MPs which sound sensational hooked up to this. The 580s are winning on KLFs - "white room" though which I have on at the mo. The female vocals, harmonys and synths are much more suited to the 580s.

Can't wait to get the speedball sorted but am waiting for a week or 2. Will post up some finished pics when done :)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #1,798 of 2,080
Finally got an adapter for my 3rd gen. They sound great. I'm worried my wallet will see several rounds of weight reduction from Sennheiser 😂

For now I've paired it with my oppo Ha2 se. I do plan on a desktop amp / dac setup at some point.

I will say my galaxy note 9 does an admirable job of powering these. They get plenty loud and don't sound terrible straight from the N9.

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #1,799 of 2,080
Hi ,

I recently purchased a pair of hd 580 and I think they might be faulty.

I have owned all the hd 5xx 6xx headphones in the past from hd 580 to hd 660s which is my current main headphone.

I have received the headphones in very bad shape with broken cable and the headband and earpads in critical shape.

I have disassembled the headphones completely and cleaned it all including the drivers which had some dust on them.

On one of the drivers the diaphragm is damaged it had a dent in the cone which I tried to fix by blowing air but it didn't fix it so I left it as it is .

I had no stock hd 650 cable at hand so used an upgraded cable to test them after replacing the pads.

The headphones work fine but they don't sound the same as I remember when I had them before , the bass is very weak and the separation of the instrument is quite poor , I am not sure if this is just a placebo after having the hd 660s or my pair has the drivers on their last stand.

I just sold my hd 650 maybe 2 weeks ago as I decided to keep the hd 660s instead and those too were much more resolving than hd 580 , somehow I remember the hd 580 sounding better .

I am driving the headphones from chord mojo.

I got my pair for £75 which I can't complain about.

I am attaching some pictures of before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_20200715_173524.jpg
    IMG_20200715_173524.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200715_110812.jpg
    IMG_20200715_110812.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200715_211958.jpg
    IMG_20200715_211958.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #1,800 of 2,080
Are they the raised nameplate or printed HD 580 Precision version ? And which of these two types did you have previously ? It could of course be aged drivers with a little damage to the cones giving distortion. It could also be spending alot of time with the HD660S and being focused on their signature. Memory of headphone's sound is also not very reliable in human beings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back