The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
May 14, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #1,471 of 2,080
Question concerning my (new to me) HD580's....

I've been using the HRT Microstreamer and it sounds really good to me...

....but of course, I've got that audiophile voice in my head: "Should I get a proper amp?"

Please tell me getting an amp won't make tthhhaaaat much of a difference.... ?

Thanks in advance for the answer!

La Mitchell

May 14, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #1,473 of 2,080

I've been using the HRT Microstreamer and it sounds really good to me...

....but of course, I've got that audiophile voice in my head: "Should I get a proper amp?"

Thanks in advance for the answer!

La Mitchell

I have the O2+ODAC combo and the difference with HD-600 and HD-650 is pretty noticeable to me. Some people claim they can't hear a difference between the O2+ODAC and nothing at all though, so it might not matter to you. I think it will make a difference on the HD-580. I think these high impedance dynamic drivers seem to react more quickly and precisely when given the right amount of voltage and current. It can't really hurt to snag a used amp, even if it's just an O2. There's one for sale now in the amp section for under $100 I think.

May 14, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #1,474 of 2,080

Bad News (for you wallet), LAmitchell: The HD580 scales up like a beast. All of the 580/6XX series do.

Getting a decent amp will definitely make a difference. Even a budget friendly Schiit Vali or a portable like the Leckerton UHA-6S MKII will be a marked improvement over the stock amp in the Microstreamer. 

May 14, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #1,475 of 2,080

Bad News (for you wallet), LAmitchell: The HD580 scales up like a beast. All of the 580/6XX series do.

Getting a decent amp will definitely make a difference. Even a budget friendly Schiit Vali or a portable like the Leckerton UHA-6S MKII will be a marked improvement over the stock amp in the Microstreamer. 

Yeah, there should be plenty of options in the $100-$200 range really. I've heard the Vali has microphonics though and you can't swap the tubes. Seems like SS might be the way to go if you're on a serious budget. On the other hand, I'm actually considering some of those Garage1217 hybrids (The Ember or the Solstice). Some of them are pretty inexpensive but on the lower end ones you do have to manually adjust the bias. I think the O2 is probably a good choice if you just want a simple, user friendly SS amp for around $100. The Schiit Magni 2 would work too although my experience is with the O2.

May 14, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #1,476 of 2,080

Yeah, there should be plenty of options in the $100-$200 range really. I've heard the Vali has microphonics though and you can't swap the tubes. Seems like SS might be the way to go if you're on a serious budget. On the other hand, I'm actually considering some of those Garage1217 hybrids (The Ember or the Solstice). Some of them are pretty inexpensive but on the lower end ones you do have to manually adjust the bias. I think the O2 is probably a good choice if you just want a simple, user friendly SS amp for around $100. The Schiit Magni 2 would work too although my experience is with the O2.

Ember is fantastic. Jeremy @ Garage1217 does excellent work and he and Solderdude designed a real beauty. (Mine is getting back today from getting retrofitted for the new v2 changes.) I can't recommend it enough. 

The early serial number Vali's were really microphonic, but Schiit changed the design after the first couple of months to dramatically reduce it. You can actually tap on the new Vali's chassis (lightly) and not getting any ringing. The tubes in the Vali aren't really designed to be swapped, but if they burn out Schiit will replace them for a pretty low price.

May 19, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #1,477 of 2,080
Ember is fantastic. Jeremy @ Garage1217 does excellent work and he and Solderdude designed a real beauty. (Mine is getting back today from getting retrofitted for the new v2 changes.) I can't recommend it enough. 

The early serial number Vali's were really microphonic, but Schiit changed the design after the first couple of months to dramatically reduce it. You can actually tap on the new Vali's chassis (lightly) and not getting any ringing. The tubes in the Vali aren't really designed to be swapped, but if they burn out Schiit will replace them for a pretty low price.
the only thing they did was pr bent the tubes led so they won't stick up and test for microphonics. Some of their tubes are really bad ringers. Take my vali #4xx the left side is really really silent. I need to really bang on the table to make it ring. The right side is a mother****ING loud bitch XD
The sound is really good though. You can't go wrong with the vali.

May 20, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #1,480 of 2,080
My Vali rings a bit if I tap on it and most particularly if I decide to change headphones in the middle of a track, but it settles right back down and is dead silent if I leave it alone. Very nice amp for all the Sennheiser phones. On a bit of helpful information so all of you can learn from my mistake. I thought I would give my headphones a real good cleaning. I was wiping them down with a cotton wad lightly damp with alcohol, well the "Sennheiser" on the headband is just some type of ink or a soluble paint as it came right off. So now I have a REALLY clean headband. The name is gone <LOL>. Ah well. At least now all of you know from my misfortune. 

May 21, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #1,481 of 2,080
My Vali rings a bit if I tap on it and most particularly if I decide to change headphones in the middle of a track, but it settles right back down and is dead silent if I leave it alone. Very nice amp for all the Sennheiser phones. On a bit of helpful information so all of you can learn from my mistake. I thought I would give my headphones a real good cleaning. I was wiping them down with a cotton wad lightly damp with alcohol, well the "Sennheiser" on the headband is just some type of ink or a soluble paint as it came right off. So now I have a REALLY clean headband. The name is gone . Ah well. At least now all of you know from my misfortune. 
misfortune? Nah dude. Just clean the whole headband from that ugly gray color. One thing to notice. The black from the headband is not really the same black from the other parts. So it will still stand out a little bit. Mine is matte black.

May 30, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #1,482 of 2,080
Well I doubt I hold the record but I'm probably pretty close
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm still using my HD-580 II' s I bought from Headroom with their original Supreme amp back in December 1993. The headband and stock cable wore out and have been replaced but the cans themselves still sing
smily_headphones1.gif

I flirted with getting a pair of HD-650s but just never acted on it.

LOL....  Still have and enjoy them :)  Some time way back I replaced the ear cushions and "upgraded" to HD600 grills and HD650 cable.  I also de-foamed them although in hindsight I'm not all that sure it was worth it.   The foam ripped so I was never able to put them back in for close A-B comparisons.  Haven't found a source for foam that thin so....

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #1,483 of 2,080

LOL....  Still have and enjoy them :)  Some time way back I replaced the ear cushions and "upgraded" to HD600 grills and HD650 cable.  I also de-foamed them although in hindsight I'm not all that sure it was worth it.   The foam ripped so I was never able to put them back in for close A-B comparisons.  Haven't found a source for foam that thin so...

Where, may I ask did you order the grills?

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #1,484 of 2,080

Where, may I ask did you order the grills?

I got them from Sennheiser.

BTW just found a source for the inside foam pads.  I was ordering replacement ear and headband cushions when I spotted them.  Yeah, first time I'm trying that "auction" site for HD580/600 parts.  Previously I always ordered direct from Sennheiser.  But they simply don't list the parts online like they used to.  Only thing now is headband cushions for HD580/600 :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back