The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #1,442 of 2,080
Nov 18, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #1,447 of 2,080
Just incase someone didn't know: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-IN-THE-BOX-Sennheiser-HD-580-Headband-Headphones-Earphones-/261644250113?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3ceb366c01&utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email
HD580s are being sold, new in box, on ebay. Looks like its where MrTechAgent got his.

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #1,448 of 2,080
  Just incase someone didn't know: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-IN-THE-BOX-Sennheiser-HD-580-Headband-Headphones-Earphones-/261644250113?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3ceb366c01&utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email
HD580s are being sold, new in box, on ebay. Looks like its where MrTechAgent got his.

Yes Sir!
If anyone is buying..I would recommend contacting the seller (Davis) because I think he has sold more than what Ebay is showing.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #1,451 of 2,080
Yah know...I paid $300.00 for mine 20 years ago! I just refurbished them with about $65.00 in new parts, and they look (almost) new again, and sound as good as they ever have. For some music I actually prefer them to my 650's, which are still a work in progress. There's no doubt these are lighter and more comfortable than the 650's, even though the specs say they weigh the same. These cans are still very honorable; nothing to be ashamed of!

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #1,452 of 2,080
So I bought my pair of 580s. The have great resolution, etc. But I noticed that with my DAC/amp Matrix Mini-i they are a little too dark and there is too much veil. My friend who has been using his 580s for years didn't believe me beacause he had tried his pair with Matrix too. We compared them directly. And indeed the sound signature is much different. So I made my research. I found this post by pkshan...

Quote:
  The new production 580s (1997-now) & the old 580s (before 1995,flat name plates) sound totally different.

The new 580s sound like an inferior hd600, fatty,dirty & muddy sound. soundstage is smaller.

The old 580s(flat name plates) sound like stax nova signature,with a little more bass & mids,
sound is transparent, cleaner,more neutral.
sound quality is better than hd600s/650s

and only the very early production 580s (1993 & German made) have a very smooth,liquid-like,intimacy sound signature.
They are very rare.and IMHO, HD540 reference gold & HD560 ovation (non II) are better cans (most 540s & 560s are made in Germany)

I am not saying 580s aren't good, the old 580s are very good if you don't compare them to 540s/560s.
(HD540 gold & 560s are the best Sennheiser dynamic cans,
if you like the sounds of Sennheiser electrostatics but can't afford them,540 gold & 560s are your choice,
580s are very good too,just not as good as the 540s/560s )

...and also read in many places that there was a change in 580's drivers when their screen "turned white". Yesterday I dissasembled 2 pairs of 580s. Neither of them has white drivers' screen. Even the brighter sounding one belonging to my friend. There is a difference though. Very significiant one. His drivers' screen is a net (silk?) with easily visible holes. My drivers' screen is a film/foil without any holes. I suspect this is the reason my 580s sound a little veiled and his are desirably balanced with pleasant bright treble. Here are some pics I made to show the difference:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/owx1pxl5m49ga4a/_MG_1219.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/3x8ez1dzt37vpo9/_MG_1220.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ca1tg0s7wlw40f7/_MG_1221.jpg

To sum up:
- My friend's 580s are probably older, made in Ireland, have flat "HD 580 Precision" signature, all side covers' holes are fully open, drivers' screens are dark, drivers' screens are nets with visible holes, they sound great, no veil.
- My 580s are probably newer, made in Ireland, have raised "HD 580 Precision" signature, not all side covers' holes are fully open (some on the rim are blocked), drivers' screens are dark, drivers' screens are film without holes, they sound dark and veiled.

My questions: How many versions of 580s are there? What form do white screens have? Film or net? How do the newest HD580s look like? Pkshan writes about 3 versions, but he doesn't write a word about white drivers. I'm as confused as I can be about headphones. I really like the resolution and sound ellegance of both versions of 580s, but the brighter sounding version is just perfect.

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #1,453 of 2,080
So I bought my pair of 580s. They have great resolution, etc. But I noticed that with my DAC/amp Matrix Mini-i they are a little too dark and there is too much veil. My friend who has been using his 580s for years didn't believe me beacause he had tried his pair with Matrix DAC too. We compared them directly. And indeed the sound signature is much different. So I made my research. I found this post by pkshan...

Quote:
  The new production 580s (1997-now) & the old 580s (before 1995,flat name plates) sound totally different.

The new 580s sound like an inferior hd600, fatty,dirty & muddy sound. soundstage is smaller.

The old 580s(flat name plates) sound like stax nova signature,with a little more bass & mids,
sound is transparent, cleaner,more neutral.
sound quality is better than hd600s/650s

and only the very early production 580s (1993 & German made) have a very smooth,liquid-like,intimacy sound signature.
They are very rare.and IMHO, HD540 reference gold & HD560 ovation (non II) are better cans (most 540s & 560s are made in Germany)

I am not saying 580s aren't good, the old 580s are very good if you don't compare them to 540s/560s.
(HD540 gold & 560s are the best Sennheiser dynamic cans,
if you like the sounds of Sennheiser electrostatics but can't afford them,540 gold & 560s are your choice,
580s are very good too,just not as good as the 540s/560s )

...and also read in many places that there was a change in 580's drivers when their screen "turned white". Yesterday I dissasembled 2 pairs of 580. Neither of them has white drivers' screen. Even the brighter sounding one belonging to my friend. There is a difference though. Very significiant one. His drivers' screen is a net (silk?) with easily visible holes. My drivers' screen is a film/foil without any holes. I suspect this is the reason why my 580s sound a little veiled and his are desirably balanced with pleasant bright treble. I guess the ones with "film" screen transfer sound, while the sound passes through the "net" screen of the other ones. Here are some pics I made to show the difference:

I STILL CAN'T POST PICTURES. WHEN I DO, MY POST IS BEING REMOVED. WHY IS IT SO? HOW CAN I PROVE I'M NOT A SPAMER JUST BECAUSE I'M A FIRST TIME POSTER?

To sum up:
- My friend's 580 are probably older, made in Ireland, have flat "HD 580 Precision" signature, all side covers' holes are fully open, drivers' screens are dark, drivers' screens are nets with visible holes, they sound great, no veil.
- My 580 are probably newer, made in Ireland, have raised "HD 580 Precision" signature, not all side covers' holes are fully open (some on the rim are blocked), drivers' screens are dark, drivers' screens are film with no holes, they sound dark and veiled.

My questions: How many versions of 580s are there? What form do white screens have? Film or net? How do the newest HD580 look like? Pkshan writes about 3 versions, but he doesn't write a word about white drivers. I'm as confused as I can be about headphones. I really like the resolution and sound ellegance of both versions of 580s, but the brighter sounding version is just perfect.

Dec 29, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #1,455 of 2,080
  The new versions of the drivers are said to be brighter in sound with no veil compared to the older driver.

Well, considering what pkshan wrote and my little research, it's more complicated than that. I get an impression that the most popular version now in sale is the one with raised "HD 580 precision" name plate. Maybe there are 2 or more versions of these with raised name plate. But my copy is not the one that deserves all the appreciation given to Sennheiser HD 580. Conclusions as far:
By date:
- Best sounding very old HD580s made in Germany
- Very good, made in Ireland version with flat name plate
- After 1997 - raised name plate, muddy, too dark sounding made in Ireland
- Probably 21st century version made in Ireland with updated drivers which have white screens - brighter sounding than the previous ones; don't know whether they have flat or raised name plate - question to white screen version owners; don't know either how their sound relates to 2 first versions. Here is a thread obout 580/600/650 drivers' screens:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/95758/hd650s-are-made-out-of

Users who are viewing this thread

Back