The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #1,501 of 2,080
Hi guys, quick question here. Would it be more wise to purchase a HD 580 or Hifiman HE-300 (both around €100). I have the office to myself until november and want a good open headphone. My main concern is that they will be driven directly from my iPod Classic 6G. Is it really a no-brainer and should I go for the Hifiman? Or is a modified HD 558 also a good option?

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #1,502 of 2,080

but i have noticed that the hd280 are just not really up to the task like monitors used to be, and my mixes aren't translating well at all to other systems like they used to with my monitors.

I own a pair of HD280s and they are a seriously underrated set of cans.

Their specs suggest that they are easy to drive but they definitely aren't. Straight from an iPhone, say, you notce a lower volume level and bass presence is somewhat anaemic. Their isolation is superb, they have a good soundstage and you notice an accuracy across the whole range from bass to treble.

I wondered if I'd done the right thing when I bought them but there was something about the sound signature that made me take notice. After doing a bit or reading I bought the PA2V2 amp and paired it up with the 280s. The difference was huge. The soundstage opened up and suddenly the bass was there! The accuracy across the tonal range was strongly evident - piano sounded like a real piano and the human voice was superb. Strings had the sheen, burnish and tone that you would expect from a live performance. What I'm saying is that these very accurate cans were designed for monitoring and all you have to do is drive them.

Now for closed phones I prefer my Shure 840s which don't need to be amplfied but the 280s are so accurate for a closed set of cans. Don't give up on them.

Sep 22, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #1,503 of 2,080
I own a pair of HD280s and they are a seriously underrated set of cans.

Their specs suggest that they are easy to drive but they definitely aren't. Straight from an iPhone, say, you notce a lower volume level and bass presence is somewhat anaemic. Their isolation is superb, they have a good soundstage and you notice an accuracy across the whole range from bass to treble.

I wondered if I'd done the right thing when I bought them but there was something about the sound signature that made me take notice. After doing a bit or reading I bought the PA2V2 amp and paired it up with the 280s. The difference was huge. The soundstage opened up and suddenly the bass was there! The accuracy across the tonal range was strongly evident - piano sounded like a real piano and the human voice was superb. Strings had the sheen, burnish and tone that you would expect from a live performance. What I'm saying is that these very accurate cans were designed for monitoring and all you have to do is drive them.

Now for closed phones I prefer my Shure 840s which don't need to be amplfied but the 280s are so accurate for a closed set of cans. Don't give up on them.

Perhaps my ear needs a little time to be retrained after being out of production for a while. I have been listening to music for enjoyment on mostly my eph100s and EP1s for the past year or so. Maybe I just need to reaclimate to a more neutral sound. I still think I'm going to grab the hd580...It must be a better headphone for the purposes I'm looking for than my 280s. I can always use the 280s as a secondreference for a different perspective, or when I need the isolation of a closed can.

Sep 22, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #1,504 of 2,080

I got the HD580s today. I have been listening to music on them all day and I'm in love. Im using them straight out of the macbook and to me they sound better than any headphone I've ever used. I hear people saying that they are too bright compared to the 600s and 650s. I think these are perfect. I listen to trance and house music and these things are awesome. Bass is perfect and the highs are just amazing. I've never experienced this much openness of sound in headphones. When i close my eyes it feels like I'm listening to near field monitors. Just amazing. Now to save up for a proper amp to drive them. I want to get something thats portable so i can use it with my laptop and or phone on the go. Does anyone have any suggestions for an amp thats portable and budget friendly for these cans? Im so happy with the sound coming straight from the macbook so its really exciting to think of what an amp can do. I know nothing about amps...total noob in that regard.

Sep 22, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #1,505 of 2,080
  Hi guys, quick question here. Would it be more wise to purchase a HD 580 or Hifiman HE-300 (both around €100). I have the office to myself until november and want a good open headphone. My main concern is that they will be driven directly from my iPod Classic 6G. Is it really a no-brainer and should I go for the Hifiman? Or is a modified HD 558 also a good option?

I don't have much experience here but i just bought the HD580 today for a few dollars cheaper than you and I'm blown away. They sound great out of my macbook and they even sound good out of my Moto X, yet they don't get quite loud enough from the moto x. I believe that an iPod would drive them a little louder though because my wife iPhone drives all of my headphones quite a bit louder than my Moto X. So it is possible that they would be loud enough. I mean even from my Moto X they get loud enough for listening in a quite environment. Just not head banging loud. But the sound is just fantastic. And I'm sure there are portable amps that will drive them properly from an iPod. I don't know about the HE-300 but i will say for the $100 i just spent on these hd580s, I'm blown away. Hands down the best sound I've ever heard out of a headphone. Simply amazing.

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #1,506 of 2,080

Hey myriad10k,

I own both (HD580 & HE-300).  Love 'em both but out of an iPod, the HE-300 with velour pads will suit you well.  Down the line, you get an amp, the HD580.

Cheers!!!

I got the HD580s today. I have been listening to music on them all day and I'm in love. Im using them straight out of the macbook and to me they sound better than any headphone I've ever used. I hear people saying that they are too bright compared to the 600s and 650s. I think these are perfect. I listen to trance and house music and these things are awesome. Bass is perfect and the highs are just amazing. I've never experienced this much openness of sound in headphones. When i close my eyes it feels like I'm listening to near field monitors. Just amazing. Now to save up for a proper amp to drive them. I want to get something thats portable so i can use it with my laptop and or phone on the go. Does anyone have any suggestions for an amp thats portable and budget friendly for these cans? Im so happy with the sound coming straight from the macbook so its really exciting to think of what an amp can do. I know nothing about amps...total noob in that regard.

Welcome to the club blanemurphy,

The HD580, the headphone that keeps going and going and going.........

Cheers!

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #1,507 of 2,080

I don't have much experience here but i just bought the HD580 today for a few dollars cheaper than you and I'm blown away. They sound great out of my macbook and they even sound good out of my Moto X, yet they don't get quite loud enough from the moto x. I believe that an iPod would drive them a little louder though because my wife iPhone drives all of my headphones quite a bit louder than my Moto X. So it is possible that they would be loud enough. I mean even from my Moto X they get loud enough for listening in a quite environment. Just not head banging loud. But the sound is just fantastic. And I'm sure there are portable amps that will drive them properly from an iPod. I don't know about the HE-300 but i will say for the $100 i just spent on these hd580s, I'm blown away. Hands down the best sound I've ever heard out of a headphone. Simply amazing.

Thanks for the input blanemurphy. Congrats on a kick-ass purchase!
Decisions, decisions... I have heard the HD600 and 650 a couple of times. But only with a Fiio E10k. Yet, still it prevailed over the HD598 in terms of SQ. Even the more amazing if you consider that the Fiio should be able to drive the HD598 with ease. The HE-300 is also easy to drive and I think it will be better straight out of an iPod.  

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #1,508 of 2,080

Hey myriad10k,

I own both (HD580 & HE-300).  Love 'em both but out of an iPod, the HE-300 with velour pads will suit you well.  Down the line, you get an amp, the HD580.

Cheers!!!

Welcome to the club blanemurphy,

The HD580, the headphone that keeps going and going and going.........

Cheers!

Holy cow, that's a gorgeous looking amp you have there mate! Is that a WA-2? Thanks for the recommendation also. The trouble is though, that like I said, I have the office for just myself for quite a while. I also believe the HE-300 will sound better straight out of an iPod. And I don't plan on buying a portable amp for 1.5 month.
But in the long term, the HE-300 or HD580 birds will have to flock back to the nest, i.e. home. I do have a nice amp there, the Violectric V90. Should be able to drive both adequately.
Would you say the HD580 scales up better? Even though I do not know if I will have upgraditis again and move up to the likes of a HD700 and sell the HD580 or HE-300.

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #1,509 of 2,080
Thanks for the input blanemurphy. Congrats on a kick-ass purchase!
Decisions, decisions... I have heard the HD600 and 650 a couple of times. But only with a Fiio E10k. Yet, still it prevailed over the HD598 in terms of SQ. Even the more amazing if you consider that the Fiio should be able to drive the HD598 with ease. The HE-300 is also easy to drive and I think it will be better straight out of an iPod.  

Just so you know I believe that the HD 580 is quite a bit better than the 598. Correct me if I'm wrong people but the 598 is quite a lesser model I believe. And also when I said earlier that it didn't get loud enough through the moto x I hadn't given much time. I've been listening all night with the moto x and its plenty loud enough. I'm listening about three quarters of the way up and its plenty loud. And I listen to electronic music. I can't say how amazing these cans are. The whole cliche of rediscovering music is so true for me right now. My mind has been blown all night. Like I said, I don't know about your other choices but I would be surprised if you weren't feeling the same as I do if you went with the hd580.

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #1,510 of 2,080
Just so you know I believe that the HD 580 is quite a bit better than the 598. Correct me if I'm wrong people but the 598 is quite a lesser model I believe. And also when I said earlier that it didn't get loud enough through the moto x I hadn't given much time. I've been listening all night with the moto x and its plenty loud enough. I'm listening about three quarters of the way up and its plenty loud. And I listen to electronic music. I can't say how amazing these cans are. The whole cliche of rediscovering music is so true for me right now. My mind has been blown all night. Like I said, I don't know about your other choices but I would be surprised if you weren't feeling the same as I do if you went with the hd580.

You are completely right! Sorry for any confusion, the HD580 is clearly the better product. Many have even said that if you replace the grills on the HD580 with the HD600 ones, it is inseperable from the latter. So you just make sure you pull out your wallet to get the most out of the HD580!
HeatFan12 can tell you more on how much more awesome these cans get. 
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #1,511 of 2,080
You are completely right! Sorry for any confusion, the HD580 is clearly the better product. Many have even said that if you replace the grills on the HD580 with the HD600 ones, it is inseperable from the latter. So you just make sure you pull out your wallet to get the most out of the HD580!
HeatFan12 can tell you more on how much more awesome these cans get. :wink:

I think what has impressed me the most about these, is not only are they the most enjoyable audio experience I've had yet, but I purchased them for mixing my own productions, and after about an hour of listening to released tunes to get a feel for them, I went back to a production I'm currently working on and immediately fixed a ton of issues that I just couldn't hear before with the hd280s. I know one of the guys above said the 280s were underrated and not to give up, but these 580s are in a whole other league in terms of clarity, balance, depth, and imaging. I'm actually excited to go back to some older tunes that I never sent to the label because I could never get the mix quite right and give them another shot with these new cans. I'm gonna stop all the ridiculous new toy syndrome praise now, but in reality they are fantastic. To me this is more detailed than my $1200 nearfield monitors were. I can pick out phase issues and artifacts in a mix so much easier with these. And that is unamped?!?! I can't imagine what's to come once I purchase one of those...

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #1,512 of 2,080
I think what has impressed me the most about these, is not only are they the most enjoyable audio experience I've had yet, but I purchased them for mixing my own productions, and after about an hour of listening to released tunes to get a feel for them, I went back to a production I'm currently working on and immediately fixed a ton of issues that I just couldn't hear before with the hd280s. I know one of the guys above said the 280s were underrated and not to give up, but these 580s are in a whole other league in terms of clarity, balance, depth, and imaging. I'm actually excited to go back to some older tunes that I never sent to the label because I could never get the mix quite right and give them another shot with these new cans. I'm gonna stop all the ridiculous new toy syndrome praise now, but in reality they are fantastic. To me this is more detailed than my $1200 nearfield monitors were. I can pick out phase issues and artifacts in a mix so much easier with these. And that is unamped?!?! I can't imagine what's to come once I purchase one of those...

Glad to hear that blanemurphy. Your enthusiasm is contagious!

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #1,513 of 2,080

I was the guy (so to speak). I also own a pair of 580s and they are an absolute classic headphone. The difference between the two of course is being open and closed back.

Both sets of phones need to be driven by an amp for best results. I have run the 280s and the 580s throught my modest but well performed Fiio E7/E9 combo and was impressed with what the DAC/amp did for both which was bring them up to levels where they can compete with many of the available cans on the market. Playing the 580s through my iPad gives a good sound but when I change to my Sansa View with the Fiio E7 attached it is another totally different sound world

The sound from the HD580 is amazing as you are discovering. The HD600s were developed from the 580 and there is very little difference between the two. The 650s have a different sound altogther and if you are into mixing music you would probably find them more coloured than the 580s. In my collection, the 580s are a keeper as I don't think that Sennheiser have significantly improved things with any of the their newer headphones (HD800 excepted I imagine as  haven't heard it).

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #1,514 of 2,080
  I was the guy (so to speak). I also own a pair of 580s and they are an absolute classic headphone. The difference between the two of course is being open and closed back.

Both sets of phones need to be driven by an amp for best results. I have run the 280s and the 580s throught my modest but well performed Fiio E7/E9 combo and was impressed with what the DAC/amp did for both which was bring them up to levels where they can compete with many of the available cans on the market. Playing the 580s through my iPad gives a good sound but when I change to my Sansa View with the Fiio E7 attached it is another totally different sound world

The sound from the HD580 is amazing as you are discovering. The HD600s were developed from the 580 and there is very little difference between the two. The 650s have a different sound altogther and if you are into mixing music you would probably find them more coloured than the 580s. In my collection, the 580s are a keeper as I don't think that Sennheiser have significantly improved things with any of the their newer headphones (HD800 excepted I imagine as  haven't heard it).

Of course there is no denying the absolute class of the HD580s. But wouldn't let's say, an underamped HD700 for example, sounds better than an properly amped HD580?

Sep 23, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #1,515 of 2,080

Of course there is no denying the absolute class of the HD580s. But wouldn't let's say, an underamped HD700 for example, sounds better than an properly amped HD580?

Normally, a comparison like this might work but the HD700 is pretty sensitive. I could drive mine up to a very reasonable volume with just my phone. The HD700 would win this battle, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back