The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #1,486 of 2,080
9 years ago I was eating dirt...Well...not really true 9 years ago I entered college so not that much different. :p (gosh I'm getting old)

What I mean is the hobby is recent to me so I need to pass all the dull and cliché fases :p

Besides mine will look much cooler than yours :p

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #1,487 of 2,080
9 years ago I was eating dirt...Well...not really true 9 years ago I entered college so not that much different. :p (gosh I'm getting old)

What I mean is the hobby is recent to me so I need to pass all the dull and cliché fases :p

Besides mine will look much cooler than yours :p

You are the one doing to blacked out version right? I think they will look sweet, but the best visual and subjectively audible upgrade you can do it swapping out or modifying the grills. HD6x0 grills look great, but there are alternative ways to make the stockers more attractive. I cut the mesh out of my old pair and used some metal mesh I found at a department store in it's place and painted it all black. Much cheap, such sexy, wow.

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #1,491 of 2,080
Just replaced the headband foam pad and the earcushions (Suntekstore).  Was also finally able to get some factory equivilent inside foam for earcushions (cyber24hour_us ).   My original set was ripped a long time ago.  After now being able to A-B with and without the flat foam over the drivers I've concluded that things simply are better with:)   So no longer does my can description show "defoamed" for my HD580s :)

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #1,492 of 2,080
Just picked up the HD 580 in pristine condition. Looks like the guy never used them.

Can't seem to find the 600 grills for sale anywhere except over in the UK and Sennheiser wants way too much money for them.

Gonna look into making my own maybe. I really like the look of the metal grills.

@Charliemotta Wow those look awesome man. He did a great job.

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #1,496 of 2,080
Hey guys, I still use my HD580 precisions everyday, and they sound better everyday! Just amazing sounding headphones. I bought them new in 2004 I think.

I hardly ever see any for sale on ebay.com or ebay.uk, maybe one or two every now and then, so I'm wondering why this is and if anyone thinks they'll become valuable collectors items.

They're the predecessor to the 600 and apparently sound very alike, so doesn't that put them into elite status? Why aren't there more for sale? Are people hanging on to them or are there not many second hand ones around making them more rare and perhaps valuable?

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #1,497 of 2,080
Hi everyone. i have the opportunity to buy these hd580s tomorrow, used for a good price from a neighbor, and i was wondering how they would do if driven straight from my 2015 retina macbook pro. I'm sure they would be best with a amp, but i don't have enough cash to buy both the headphones and the amp at this time. Will they sound ok for now until i can get something to drive them properly?

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #1,498 of 2,080
  Hi everyone. i have the opportunity to buy these hd580s tomorrow, used for a good price from a neighbor, and i was wondering how they would do if driven straight from my 2015 retina macbook pro. I'm sure they would be best with a amp, but i don't have enough cash to buy both the headphones and the amp at this time. Will they sound ok for now until i can get something to drive them properly?

Hey Blane,

Yes, they will sound "okay" straight out of the macbook.  

I saw your post and immediately tried it with my own pair of 580's.  I'm listening to it right now and it will be "okay" until you get a dac/amp.

In fact, I wish I had bought these without using a dac/amp for a while so that I could have appreciated what the dac/amp actually brings.

Hope this helps!

LA Mitchell

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,499 of 2,080

Hey Blane,

Yes, they will sound "okay" straight out of the macbook.  

I saw your post and immediately tried it with my own pair of 580's.  I'm listening to it right now and it will be "okay" until you get a dac/amp.

In fact, I wish I had bought these without using a dac/amp for a while so that I could have appreciated what the dac/amp actually brings.

Hope this helps!

LA Mitchell

Thanks so much for the quick reply! Im very excited to get them tomorrow! I've never had headphones of this caliber before. I own an assortment of decent iems including the yamaha eph100, RBH EP1, sony xba h1, klipsch s4, and also have sennhieser hd280, and some beats studio 2.0 that were gifted to me(which stay in my glove box in my car and i use only when driving for the noise cancelation). I had some really decent KRK vxt 6 studio monitors as well, that i sold last year when i moved into a smaller place. they had the best audio experience that I've had so far. I produce trance music and have actually had some releases on a smaller record label in the past. Im just now getting back into producing after a couple years of not producing since i haven't had the time after having a kid. Im trying to use only headphones now instead of monitors, due to space constraints and noise at night with kids and wife asleep. but i have noticed that the hd280 are just not really up to the task like monitors used to be, and my mixes aren't translating well at all to other systems like they used to with my monitors. I heard that the hd600 or 650 were great for production from some of the producers that are big names in my music scene. and with these being so similar I'm hoping they will be as well. Plus I'm excited to hear all my favorite music again on something so much better than what i have been used to. Ive always been a fan of headphones more than loudspeakers and i love all iems, but iems just don't work for making music. not enough imaging, separation and sense of space and depth. at lest not in the $200 price range of most of the items i own.

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #1,500 of 2,080
  Hey guys, I still use my HD580 precisions everyday, and they sound better everyday! Just amazing sounding headphones. I bought them new in 2004 I think.

I hardly ever see any for sale on ebay.com or ebay.uk, maybe one or two every now and then, so I'm wondering why this is and if anyone thinks they'll become valuable collectors items.

They're the predecessor to the 600 and apparently sound very alike, so doesn't that put them into elite status? Why aren't there more for sale? Are people hanging on to them or are there not many second hand ones around making them more rare and perhaps valuable?

I don't know but I am hanging on to mine anyway just in case they do become a collector status item. Plus I have never owned anything this long that still worked so I owe it to them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back