The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Mar 2, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #3,212 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True! -- An impedance peak at the resonance frequency is no critical load for amps.

A large min/max deviation means you need a decently low output impedance though. In this case, this should stay below about 47 ohms if we say we want to allow a .5 dB deviation of frequency response - not very demanding. If we are to believe the 102 dB SPL @ (1 kHz, 1 Vrms) spec, they should be about as loud as HD600s.
Overall, nothing for a Euro-capped MP3 player (too quiet) or power-amp-tapped headphone jack (frequency response off), but otherwise not terribly demanding either.

How they fare in practice, we'll see^Whear.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #3,216 of 5,928
Hmm.. I may should start a new thread for that but with all these irrelevant posts here I dont think that it should be a problem... Guys I need your opinion... I found an offer for Gallo reference speakers 3.1 with a quad 909 amp all together for £1500. HD800 cost 1000. I dont know which one to buy!!! doh!!! The best headphone or one of the best speakers for it's class... Any suggestions???

(edit: Dont bother with that.. I made new thread..
wink.gif
)

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #3,217 of 5,928
Visited the Bristol show in UK last weekend.

I think it was the HD800s first public airing in the UK.

The best sound at show for me.

They are just as Jude described. On a 15 minute listen they sounded sublime. I guess will really show-off a great front end too but not the easiest load.

Senn's rig at the show was Sennheiser HD800 - Grace m902 - Nagra CDC.

I think UK RRP is £1000

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #3,218 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironeisnna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm.. I may should start a new thread for that but with all these irrelevant posts here I dont think that it should be a problem... Guys I need your opinion... I found an offer for Gallo reference speakers 3.1 with a quad 909 amp all together for £1500. HD800 cost 1000. I dont know which one to buy!!! doh!!! The best headphone or one of the best speakers for it's class... Any suggestions???

My suggestion is to start a new thread. I think that would be better. Less off topic in this thread, and the subject won't drown in this thread if someone searches for it in the future.

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #3,219 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobettermusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Visited the Bristol show in UK last weekend.
I think it was the HD800s first public airing in the UK.
The best sound at show for me.
They are just as Jude described. On a 15 minute listen they sounded sublime. I guess will really show-off a great front end too but not the easiest load.
Senn's rig at the show was Sennheiser HD800 - Grace m902 - Nagra CDC.
I think UK RRP is £1000

Nice! Did you compare it to some other cans at the show? If you don't mind, it would be nice to hear if there was something particular you noticed when listening to them, or what comes to mind now that you think back on your session. Thank you.

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #3,221 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Less off topic in this thread...

There really isn't much left that could be considered off topic in this thread, except of course the thread topic.

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #3,222 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There really isn't much left that could be considered off topic in this thread, except of course the thread topic.

I thought it was the other way around
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #3,223 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironeisnna /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(edit: Dont bother with that.. I made new thread..
wink.gif
)

Buy the speakers first, a good offer and more expensive. it might be that the price of the senns might drop a bit later on as well.

There still is some stuff that speakers do better then headphones and there is some that headphones do better then speakers...

Given the economy, i would be hardpressed not to think the senns will drop in price during the year...

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #3,224 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A large min/max deviation means you need a decently low output impedance though. In this case, this should stay below about 47 ohms if we say we want to allow a .5 dB deviation of frequency response - not very demanding. If we are to believe the 102 dB SPL @ (1 kHz, 1 Vrms) spec, they should be about as loud as HD600s.
Overall, nothing for a Euro-capped MP3 player (too quiet) or power-amp-tapped headphone jack (frequency response off), but otherwise not terribly demanding either.

How they fare in practice, we'll see^Whear.

I bet the senns hd800's are as critical as the hd650, good cans love high power amps...

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #3,225 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice! Did you compare it to some other cans at the show? If you don't mind, it would be nice to hear if there was something particular you noticed when listening to them, or what comes to mind now that you think back on your session. Thank you.

It helped that they were hooked up to nice gear. Soundwise where to start? I was impressed by transparency, resolution, imaging, soundstage, control and the absolute black silence. An out of head experience. Finally HD800s were extremely comfortable - almost forgot I was wearing headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back