The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Mar 3, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #3,241 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear John Willett:

Do you have some news from Sennheiser regarding the HD800 for us restless souls?
Any news, or even just a rumour will do
tongue.gif

I'm as impatient as the rest of you! - I am now getting withdrawal symptoms now that the sales managers have taken the pair I used to listen to before the Bristol Hi-Fi show!

I have not heard anything new - neither good nor bad - so can only assume that all is still on track for March / April as previously said.

Have no fear, as soon as the UK shipment arrives I'll let you know.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #3,242 of 5,928
Meant to mention, Electronic Arts just delayed the launch of a big game, The Sims 3, until June. It was supposed to be out last month. People are guessing that the reason has to do with wanting to get sales $$ pushed into a big second quarter or second half of the year, rather than lost in the red ink of this grim quarter.

Could Sennheiser be waiting until April to release the HD800, for some equally arcane quarterly report-style business reason? Or are they privately-held?

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #3,243 of 5,928
Companies do play 'quarters' with releases, but Senn being in Germany is doubtfully in the same quarter to quarter game, and there is no indication that 2q will be any less wretched than is 1q, especially for consumer goods.

Seems to me the more info asked for, the less forthcoming Senn seems to be, which makes the consumer wonder all the more. You'd think some Sony lawyers writ had targeted some technology patent(s), and everything has ground to a halt the way their communicative sphincter has tightened up.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #3,245 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to Sceptre, Ed.9 wins in slam. He compared HD800 vs Ed.9 with his travel setup in the Bristol hifi show.

Remember, Senn have not designed the HD800 as a Hip Hop or Funk can. The slam of all of my closed headphones is more prominent than the HD800.

Slam is a colouration and result of a closed can. The bass on the HD800 is there all the way down, but does not attempt to be the same as a D7000, JVC HX1000 or UE9.

What the HD800 is doing very well is replicating recordings excellently.

Again, I shall say that these gave me the best headphone replication of an orchestral performance. Period.

I will not be selling the UE9s when the HD800 arrive. They compliment very well. I do have quite a wide musical taste that includes bass monsters from Mantronix, Prince, Timberland etc.

If you are expecting slam from the HD800s you will be left wanting. You'll enjoy the music presentation but it is not in your face in any frequency range. It is much better than that.

Regards

Sceptre

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #3,246 of 5,928
for those in the UK, where are you obtaining/ordering your 800's, in this country or overseas?

also why is it that sennheiser UK website still has no mention of the hd800 in their high end headphones lineup, whereas their USA/global.com site has them listed already!?

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #3,247 of 5,928
Thank you Sceptre for the excellent clarification re: slam!

Quaddy, you can order them from your local Senn. dealers. Definately get it in UK as it is same price as US (and no custom & duty etc) and you get warranty too. Will PM you a list of known dealers. You could also ask John on this too.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #3,248 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could Sennheiser be waiting until April to release the HD800, for some equally arcane quarterly report-style business reason? Or are they privately-held?

Its owned by the Sennheiser family fundation or something in that order. So is their cooperative with William Demand - Sennheiser Communications (headsets for gameing, PC, Bluetooth etc.) as William Demand is too owned by a family fundation. We have a few of these in denmark and there has been alot of talk about these type of companys are way more resilient to these marked fluctuations as long as the management realise they just should go by buisness as normal. Other companys only cut employes and R'n'D etc. becourse of fear and stock problems... Yeah sales are down but its not the end of the world except if you are in banking or car production.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #3,249 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.....also why is it that sennheiser UK website still has no mention of the hd800 in their high end headphones lineup, whereas their USA/global.com site has them listed already!?

Because Sennheiser UK is in the middle of a complete re-design of the website that will match the .com one in style.

There are quite a few items missing that will be corrected when the new site goes live.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #3,250 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you Sceptre for the excellent clarification re: slam!

Quaddy, you can order them from your local Senn. dealers. Definately get it in UK as it is same price as US (and no custom & duty etc) and you get warranty too. Will PM you a list of known dealers. You could also ask John on this too.

@john, ahh i see.

hey thanks, yes i have the list already, thats true regarding exchange. i am having a brain freeze, excuse me, lol - i am unsure as to why i asked that question.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #3,251 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for those in the UK, where are you obtaining/ordering your 800's, in this country or overseas?

also why is it that sennheiser UK website still has no mention of the hd800 in their high end headphones lineup, whereas their USA/global.com site has them listed already!?

The sennheiserusa.com and the sennheiser.com (de/global english) are different sites, so are the sennheiser.do.uk (uk) and sennheiser.dk (Nordic/danish). Its like sub divisions marketing wise I guess. I always use the UK site as it has the better selection menu where all the products are gathered in one screen of pull down menus. They tend to have new things on the global first and then press releases on the others about the same time.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #3,252 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because Sennheiser UK is in the middle of a complete re-design of the website that will match the .com one in style.

There are quite a few items missing that will be corrected when the new site goes live.

damm you beat me to it.. If only I didn't have to reboot for updates.. well guess you know the better
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #3,253 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Insomnia is an evil thing.
very_evil_smiley.gif

All of the Leona Polymers that I could find are so much softer than even commercially pure titanium (An alloy would likely be used in a headphone frame application, and all probable alloys are much harder than CP titanium) that the above statement is probably misleading. As far as strength goes it is probably closer, at least compared to CP titanium. Once again though it wouldn't be CP titanium but an alloy and the likely titanium alloys have a decided strength advantage.

This however is not the point. I have little doubt that a polymer will likely have a significant vibrational advantage; i.e. less susceptible to resonances. It could also very easily be strong enough to avoid significant mechanical failure.

[size=small]So a Leona Polymer could very well be a better material for this application, but as far as it being harder than titanium (or a likely titanium alloy) all of the data that I could dig up doesn’t support this claim.[/size]

[size=small]Besides I would think that tensile strength would be more important than outright hardness.[/size]

[size=small]I am not one to poo poo the use of plastics, oh…. Sorry, Polymers. They can be ideal materials for such applications. I have high hopes for the HD-800’s, I don’t care what they’re made of, the proof as they say is in the pudding. [/size]

Maybe I should be copying and pasting this post and putting it on the HD800 plastic thread. The marketing PR for this headphone is insane and it is well known that the frame is made from fiberglass reinforced plastic. To say that the tensile strength is harder than titanium is unbelievable. Maybe the people making the "Leona" plastic should start making bicycle frames. It has also been noted that, despite or because of the plastic frame, the HD800 does a superlative job at controlling unwanted resonances. I don't think that after over 3,000 posts that this subject needs to be rehashed again. What I am interested in at this point in how the drivers are suspended in the frame. Supposedly the each driver only connects to the frame at one point. Has anyone confirmed this or not? If this were true, the amount of air moving the drivers would be an insignificant cause of frame resonances and it wouldn't matter if the frame was made from plastic, titanium, or a tin can. It would be nice to be able to see the innards of the HD800 but we will have to wait a long while to see this for sure.

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #3,255 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Could Sennheiser be waiting until April to release the HD800, for some equally arcane quarterly report-style business reason?

Well, besides of Sennheiser being family owned most of Germany's economy (except a few companies listed at NYSE) isn't based on this quarter crap.
This is basically a weird american concept ........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back