The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jun 15, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #5,926 of 5,928
I am impressed, they resolve detail and have bigger soundstage. I don't know their break-in time but I am patient, I will not leave them running overnight, I want them to break-in gradually.

Right now just playing through the Mojo, I will test them with my standalone tube amp. I am sure that I am up for a big surprise.

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #5,927 of 5,928
I spent 20min testing it using my Xperia XZ Premium. First I was impressed and I still consider it to be in top class of list from all the headphones I tested recently. But after I went through testing 2-3songs I noticed that when multiple instruments and vocals were being played at a time there was no problem but when all the instruments except one stops playing then you can notice how overshadowed it was when all instruments were playing at a time. I was listening to a song in which two instruments were being played drums and flute, in a phase drums stop playing and only flute is played solo. At that point I realized how overshadowed it was when two or more instruments were being played. As soon as drums stopped the clarity and detail of flute went up a notch which was clearly noticeable. This problem I did not experience in some other headphones which I tested. Probably this is one and only major drawback this headphone has besides it not being extremely clear and detailed(it is way ahead of majority when it comes to clarity and detail and producing natural sound) as few other.

_
Not sure, what is going on: is it a problem with 800, or amplifier, or DAC, or recording or 'all problems together' including 'human factor'... it's always suggested to listen 800 with low-to-moderate volume level (and no, there's no problem with 800 at high volume, but human ears are somehow more senstive to 800 sound than to some other hp's) and 800 is a professional tool: if there is an problem with audio recording/mix then you get it 'into the face' with 800...
many other hp's are masking forementioned problems.
By the way, can You give more information (names, titles, CD ? etc) about those 'problematic 2-3 songs'?

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #5,928 of 5,928

Users who are viewing this thread

Back