The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Mar 2, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #3,227 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobettermusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It helped that they were hooked up to nice gear. Soundwise where to start? I was impressed by transparency, resolution, imaging, soundstage, control and the absolute black silence. An out of head experience. Finally HD800s were extremely comfortable - almost forgot I was wearing headphones.

Thank you mobettermusic. Sounds like bliss. Now, the rest of the wait begins...

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #3,230 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't read every post but my GOD these look like and are designed off of my old Sony Qualia's. Hopefully they sound just as good or better...

A ton of other people have said that and a ton of other people couldn't be more wrong. The technology is totally different and even the design is to if you look closer. 3000 posts are a fine testament to that and a load of other non-important facts - on the range from the composite people keep calling plastic to what people are going to eat for breakfast the day they get or not get their pair HD800. I'm not going to eat breakfast at all from now to then.. so its said - so shall it be!

uhmmm... reminds me of a good breakfast place where its done the US way... grrrhhh...

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #3,232 of 5,928
Not sure if this has been discussed but the distortion graphs don't look any better than other middle-top tier phones. In fact I'm pretty sure the Ultrasones (although they no longer have graphs) were significantly better. I'm wondering if this is particular to the ring driver. Can we expect better mid-high frequency distortion products? At 500hz the distortion shown is still lower than audibility.

graphCompare.php

Also, the left/right graph shows a roughly 5dB imbalance between 8-10khz:
iconGraph.php

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #3,233 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if this has been discussed but the distortion graphs don't look any better than other middle-top tier phones. In fact I'm pretty sure the Ultrasones (although they no longer have graphs) were significantly better. I'm wondering if this is particular to the ring driver. Can we expect better mid-high frequency distortion products? At 500hz the distortion shown is still lower than audibility.

graphCompare.php

I think you'd need to be an audio engineer to get anything out of graph, and even then, us mere mortals wouldn't understand what they were on about.

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #3,236 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I wish Sennheiser had used the words "Aerospace polymer" instead of "plastic".

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The "Leona" polymer used is as hard as titanium and does not transmit vibrations - hence why it was used instead of titanium, which was not so good for purpose.

Insomnia is an evil thing.
very_evil_smiley.gif

All of the Leona Polymers that I could find are so much softer than even commercially pure titanium (An alloy would likely be used in a headphone frame application, and all probable alloys are much harder than CP titanium) that the above statement is probably misleading. As far as strength goes it is probably closer, at least compared to CP titanium. Once again though it wouldn't be CP titanium but an alloy and the likely titanium alloys have a decided strength advantage.

This however is not the point. I have little doubt that a polymer will likely have a significant vibrational advantage; i.e. less susceptible to resonances. It could also very easily be strong enough to avoid significant mechanical failure.

[size=small]So a Leona Polymer could very well be a better material for this application, but as far as it being harder than titanium (or a likely titanium alloy) all of the data that I could dig up doesn’t support this claim.[/size]

[size=small]Besides I would think that tensile strength would be more important than outright hardness.[/size]

[size=small]I am not one to poo poo the use of plastics, oh…. Sorry, Polymers. They can be ideal materials for such applications. I have high hopes for the HD-800’s, I don’t care what they’re made of, the proof as they say is in the pudding. [/size]

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #3,237 of 5,928
Oh my I wasn't thinking of getting a reply so soon. What about the 9's compared to the 8's (they're probably not even out yet)? If it turns out my Edition 9's are better than the HD 800's then I will sell my Edition 9's to buy the Edition 8's instead.

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #3,238 of 5,928
Not 100% Ed.8 is going to beat Ed.9, probably just different. Also Ed.8 has less slam than Ed.9. But one thing for sure, Sceptre is happy enough to order HD800 even though he has Ed.9, maybe they are just different animals.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #3,239 of 5,928
Dear John Willett:

Do you have some news from Sennheiser regarding the HD800 for us restless souls?
Any news, or even just a rumour will do
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #3,240 of 5,928
nor_spoon x2.

Patienty (impatiently?) awaiting reviews from those who have had extended time with HD800, and awaiting word from Sennheiser.

The latter wait is inexplicable; there's a 100% probability that they know exactly when the 800 will ship, and where, and how many.

What is the benefit in making dealers and customers wait, especially in an economy when backing out of a major purchase is the only sane thing to do, and making me research Grados and Ultrasones instead?
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back