The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Mar 1, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #3,196 of 5,928
I hope Head-Fi can handle massive traffic when people start to receive HD800.
icon10.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #3,197 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope Head-Fi can handle massive traffic when people start to receive HD800.
icon10.gif

I don't know about anyone else, but I find that Head-fi is great for killing time before a new highly anticipated toy arrives.

Once it finally arrives however, I'm usually not back for another week or so, as I relax, listen, and come to my own conclusions regarding the purchase. The same will probably be true when the HD800's finally get here =)

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #3,198 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about anyone else, but I find that Head-fi is great for killing time before a new highly anticipated toy arrives.

Not only that but it's great for killing me with new highly anticipated toys that would be great to buy.
redface.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #3,199 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Careful. For every LeBron James, there are 100 Leon Smiths. Lucky for us, Sennheiser has already proven itself to be a player.

Being a long suffering Mavs fan, Leon Smith (dressed up playing Cowboys and Indians - no joke) is like, well, talking plastic (or Grado) in a Sennheiser thread... very likely to cause trouble...
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #3,201 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the TTVJ website says Feb/Mar. the HeadRoom site says early Mar. No mention of Apr and i assume they did not come up with those dates on their own.

^^^Here Here!

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #3,202 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I enlisted Justin at Headamp to build my KGSS it took months, yes months, but when I got it, it was well worth the wait. In the meantime, I went crazy and bought all different types of other stuff to keep my mind and ears right. That is what we should do. We should start making preparations for meets and saving up for different cables, sources and amplification; start selling some of the gears that we have laying around collecting dust; finish building your uber amp or cable, etc. Whatever you do, do something else to take your mind off of the HD 800 and it's soon arrival!
smile_phones.gif

Same story here. I placed the order of my supratek on August and I delivered it on June next year. We are talking now for about a year of waiting. It was killing me. In the meantime though I was trying to buy songs that will judge the system, read stuff about tubes and generally, was trying to convert the waiting from endless pain to a happy expectation of joy. Just calm down, an forget a bit about it...

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #3,204 of 5,928
I don't know if someone already posted this. I was looking on headroom and the charts for the HD800 are up. It looks like they are going to need a really serious amp to drive them. At 50hz it's 500ohms. 600+ohms at 100-200hz. Doesn't dip back down to 325 ohms till 1khz. Anything over 10khz is 350-400ohms.

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #3,205 of 5,928
Probably. In an Cnet/Australia it is reported that the headphone jack from a Yamaha integrated amp is not able to handle the hd800. It will be interesting to see how this headphone scale with powerful amp. Note though, so far in show, Sennheiser only used Benchmark and Grace to demo, so it can't be super bad either. Sceptre recons it is marginally easier than hd600. Well wait and see.

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #3,206 of 5,928
yep its been posted a while back and discussed, it certainly is no pushover to drive as you allude to, i need to see how it behaves with my setup once i save up, and determine if i need to get a beefier amp

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #3,208 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if someone already posted this. I was looking on headroom and the charts for the HD800 are up. It looks like they are going to need a really serious amp to drive them. At 50hz it's 500ohms. 600+ohms at 100-200hz. Doesn't dip back down to 325 ohms till 1khz. Anything over 10khz is 350-400ohms.

I thought it wasn't unusual for a speaker to have an impedance peak around it's natural resonance. It almost seems like it would help control the output volume by having less current flow at the resonance peak frequencies. Just a guess.

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #3,209 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not only that but it's great for killing me with new highly anticipated toys that would be great to buy.
redface.gif

Yeah, that's inevitable I suppose
wink.gif
Personally, I didn't visit Head-fi for about a month from last December to early January, only to stumble upon the newly-announced HD800's when I returned. Since then, I've been visiting multiple times a day, and my wallet (credit card) has grown substantially lighter thanks to the soon-to-be expected charge of $1400.

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #3,210 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it wasn't unusual for a speaker to have an impedance peak around it's natural resonance. It almost seems like it would help control the output volume by having less current flow at the resonance peak frequencies. Just a guess.

True! -- An impedance peak at the resonance frequency is no critical load for amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back