The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Feb 15, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #2,581 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So will changing the jack plug void warranty?

I think the cables are detachable in the first place so removing the jacks should not void the warranty in any way.

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #2,582 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So will changing the jack plug void warranty?

No, at least on the headphone itself it wouldn't. That is at least legally.

It's like changing the rims and tires on a car doesn't void the warranty on the engine. Of course just because they should legally honor the warranty in such a case doesn't mean that they will. But if they don't and you choose to fight them over it, you'd win in court. You'd be out the time and money so it would be at best a hollow victory.

When automakers attempted to void the warranties when certain modifications were performed on their cars it took the manufacturers of the equipment that was used for the modifications to sue. Since in this case there are no corporate interests that are profiting from the modifications there's no one to force Sennheiser to honor the warranty. So it's totally up to Sennheiser and whether they want to be dicks about it.

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #2,583 of 5,928
Achieving a sonic improvement becomes a logarithmic game when your at that level of fidelity.

So $1400 DOES make sense...

And yes, cables do make a difference.

I've modded my headphone cable twice and BOTH times the sonic improvement was dramatic.

First by shortening the cable to 1/2 its' original length.

That made a HUGE difference...

Then by switching it out completely with a substantially thicker cable.

Again, substantial difference.

So there is NO DOUBT, in my mind at least, that cable DOES make a difference.

But at the sonic levels they've no doubt achieved, it is like I said, on a logarithmic scale of noticeability, and therefor I do agree with the logarithmic price differential in the cable costs....

Just my two cents...

EDIT: oops, this comment was supposed to be placed during the discussion of the cable cost, and I see now has been placed at the end of the tread, where of course I thought I was but wasn't.... , but it is still relevent...

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #2,584 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
verbatim quote taken from marketing blurb on hd800's

"Audiophiles might also be pleased to note that the headphones' cable is made from silver-plated, oxygen-free, Kevlar-reinforced copper.
"

for all the people getting their hd-800's recabled, worth taking this into consideration in terms of the recabler matching this base level of quality

OK, I'll OJ this one more time - the issue is NOT NOT NOT about recable for recable sake.

1. I am buying a hd800 from Headroom
2. Headroom has a 30 day return policy - nice insurance
3. I have balanced equipment only, so I HAVE TO RETERMINATE
4. I hack the included cable to balances (2xXLR) it kills #2
5. Sennheiser part #532758 is the replacement cable
5a. Senn replacement cable is not available yet
5b. No idea of cost, when available
6. More reasonable approach is to hack an existing balanced cable

To me, the issue is simply about two things - initial ability to return the phones, by leaving the STOCK cable STOCK. The easiest solution to that dilemna is putting LEMO connectors on one of my existing balanced cables.

Again, anyone thinking this is recable for the sake of bettering the cable, it is NOT. This is simply mitigating risk.

Seems to me the only ones perpetuating the idea there is a groundswell to get aftermarket cables are those who dislike the concept of aftermarket cables in the first place.

But, since there is no alternative (and, in fact, the connectors look to NOT be a standard LEMO, but proprietary, again), we'll have no choice, again, but to hack Senn 'company store' cables.

I WOULD be simply overjoyed if Senn provided stock 2xXLR or 4pin XLR terminations, especially since they already run the requisite wiring to do so.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #2,585 of 5,928
i have no idea why you are quoting me directly, i was simply adding a bit of info for people on something i found today on the blurb of it all, and added it for people to see, if they hadnt already done so, i was unaware that were any 'arguments/debates' on this thread relating to the pros and cons of a recable.

and do not think my post is or was pointed at one argument or the other.

for whats its worth i have all my major cans recabled, my denons were recabled to balanced lastly and i am firm cable believer

i frankly couldnt care less what your or anyones reasonings are for getting a recable, beit practical or for sonic improvements

BTW what does OJ mean?
confused_face(1).gif
- "OK, I'll OJ this one more time" - i like to keep up with all the latest internet jargon

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #2,587 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotaudio40 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And yes, cables do make a difference.

I've modded my headphone cable twice and BOTH times the sonic improvement was dramatic.

In this case it shouldn't make a difference because the cable is balanced, and balanced cables don't usually get affected in longer runs (up to 50'), and in this case we are talking about a mere 4 1/2 feet instead of 9 feet.

Feb 15, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #2,588 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In this case it shouldn't make a difference because the cable is balanced, and balanced cables don't usually get affected in longer runs (up to 50'), and in this case we are talking about a mere 4 1/2 feet instead of 9 feet.

Tell this to the cable!
wink_face.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #2,589 of 5,928
OK, I will.

Me- "Cable, you're too short to do a good job!"

Cable- "I'm not short. I've been modified and now I'm vertically (or horizontally) challenged!"

Feb 15, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #2,590 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW what does OJ mean?
confused_face(1).gif
- "OK, I'll OJ this one more time" - i like to keep up with all the latest internet jargon

I believe everyone is aware this is a better cable. The tired argument that people need to reconsider whether (or not) to recable seems tiring, and, boorish.

OJ = "take another stab at it".

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #2,592 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotaudio40 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't believe you. I mean I don't think it makes such HUUGE difference.

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #2,593 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe everyone is aware this is a better cable. The tired argument that people need to reconsider whether (or not) to recable seems tiring, and, boorish.

OJ = "take another stab at it".

Oh my...

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #2,594 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^That's bad. (OJ)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my...

Lovely...
eek.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #2,595 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe you. I mean I don't think it makes such HUUGE difference.

Although not huuuge, it made a difference with my K 701. I'm certainly not considering a cable change on my (then) HD 800, though -- at least not for the time being. But shortening may very well be an option, since I don't need 2.5 m. Half of that would be enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back