The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Feb 14, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #2,551 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends. Personally a have a lot of experience with speakers, but none with ring radiators. All I can tell is that they have a decisive downside when used in tweeters: a more inhomogeneous, frequency-dependent radiation than conventional dome tweeters. At the same time they seem to be -- measurably and reportedly -- «faster» than the latter.

With headphones, the mentioned downside doesn't have much importance, so it's the advantage which counts.

Jazz, thank you for posting here, you know quite a lot, it's instructive! I haven't followed up with the ring designs for tweeters in years (is it ScanSpeak (Revelator or something) that starting to make it for tweeters as opposed to conventional use in compression drivers?). So, I do not know what flaws started to be found (for all I know, it was the best thing since sliced bread when I read about it 10 years ago or so).

But I would also suspect there is little more in common than the name between ring tweeters and this ring headphone driver.
Target frequency range / SPL / electrical impedance are drastically different. Tweeter is listened to in the acoustic far field while headphone membrane is in the very near field. That results probably in quite different requirements / potential issues.

Quote:

In conventional closed speakers a dynamic bass driver has a stiff membrane and thus contributes to the seal of the air-tight system. That's necessary to enable calculation of system parameters (TSP), i.e. low-frequency response. Now a «woofer» with a soft foil membrane behaves completely different. Actually it doesn't guarantee an airtight system at all, moreover the produced rear sound waves can mix with the front waves as parasitic sound. Additionally the membrane is a plaything of the sprung back air molecules, out of control, so to speak. Although most headphones aren't closed systems, the same mechanism could be detrimental to a clean, accurate transient control.

Indeed, one requirement for speakers is to prevent acoustic cancellation of front and back waves at low frequencies because you can't get bass sounds to efficiently radiate away. In the case of headphone, you're in the near field so you can actually work with open design (e.g. Senn's headphones). Having said that, there are still issues as you said as, for instance, it's commonly agreed that closed headphones tend (not a generalization but it is a trend) to have more bass (at least more impactful). But the perfect headphone is more likely the open type with as little sound reflections as possible (that is until people also want isolation from outside world, can't have it all!!)

Quote:

Theoretically electrostatic and orthodynamic drivers still are faster and able to produce a more precise and cleaner sound. But here's where diverging philosophies show up. To many ears theory doesn't entirely bear up with reality. After all, before the HD 800 era it was clear to most that electrostats have much higher treble resolution. But the farther down in the frequency range, the more dynamic headphones sound more palpable, more substantial, more controlled. Why is this so? I don't really know. I just guess that it has to do with the thin and soft foil membrane as sound generator.

In regards to dynamic drivers sounding more impactful than electrostatic designs I also feel the same and would guess is because there's actually really no stiff piston motion with thin electrostat membranes. They're as fast as can be but the motion is probably nowhere near that of a plane moving in phase from end to end. So somehow maybe this makes us feel like the bass is lacking foundation. I also agree with you that dynamic drivers have come a long way and don't pale much against electrostat "paper" membranes in the speed department.

For speakers, as has been said, ideal dynamic type driver (as far as distortion from input signial is concerned) is a massless perfectly ridid surface (moving like a piston). For speakers, directivity is also a big concern so unfortunately, law of physics will have you want to use a large piston for low frequencies and small one for higher frequencies.

But in the case of headphones, there is no such requirement on directivity because we're in the near field of the driver. The ideal headphone transducer thus "only" needs to throw a plane wave at some angle of the head to mimic that of a speaker pair at 30 degrees or so (for listening to standard stereo recording). There is no such thing as a plane wave within 1 inch from a vibrating membrane but maybe just orientating the driver at some angle does a sufficient trick as Sennheiser (and many others before) have found.

In terms of actual driver "distortion", there is probably no difference in requirement between speaker and headphone. You need a fast and rigid membrane ideally with as least damping as needed to control imperfections (such as break up modes in the diaphragm). If you look at the HD800 vs. HD650 design, the HD650 employed probably quite a bit of damping to control the diaphragm resonances and it does not sound very lively. Oppositely, the HD800 appears very fast from the few who heard it. It also does not appear to have nasty resonances which would imply the ring surface actually does not present much resonances in the passband region (or at least the mode shape is such these resonances don't completely mess up the acoustic response, not sure how this can be but...).

BTW John Willett, is there ring type microphone capsule? Maybe soon to come from Sennheiser then?

arnaud.

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #2,552 of 5,928
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Right there is why guys like Tyll have the greatest job ever.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #2,553 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
473076112_J6zFd-L.jpg

Tyll, Great Pic....I simply love the look of the 800s!!
IMHO --> Stills do you better justice than video...peace!

Question: What's your left hand gesture? ---> turn up the volume?
and what are you listening to?

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #2,554 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyll, Great Pic....I simply love the look of the 800s!!
IMHO --> Stills do you better justice than video...peace!

Question: What's your left hand gesture? ---> turn up the volume?
and what are you listening to?

I say he's snapping those fingas' yo!

wink.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #2,555 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say he's snapping those fingas' yo!

wink.gif

Yeah, probly right...he's got the Headroom cup, the headroom amp, socks, hat and shirt and he's on the headroom site....gotta love him!

Just kiddin' Tyll....nuttin' but luv here, dude....rock on!

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #2,556 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, probly right...he's got the Headroom cup, the headroom amp, socks, hat and shirt and he's on the headroom site....gotta love him!

Just kiddin' Tyll....nuttin' but luv here, dude....rock on!

Nothin like a little extra advertising, people may stop him in public and say "What's the Headroom stuff?" then he can say "Well.......
cool.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #2,559 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This question has probably already been answered but how difficult will the HD-800s be to run? Would something like the headphone out from a Bryston BP-26 pre-amp be a good match?

For those who aren't familiar with the Bryston preamps, the headphone jack is driven by the exact same class A discrete electronics that drive the preamp outputs. These are pricey preamps, with top notch design and build quality.

I suspect the Bryston would do well with the HD800. I used to own a BP-25 with the MPS-2 power supply, effectively making it a BP-26. It's headphone output was fantastic with high impedance cans like the HD650, but it was truly awful with low impedance phones, such as Grados and the Denon line. (And I do mean awful. Everything above about 10KHz was horribly rolled off.) With the HD650, though, it sounded like an SET tube amp.

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #2,562 of 5,928
My main question is, "Are the vocals more up-front as compared to the HD600s?" I really enjoy the HD600s, but sometimes it gets annoying how the main vocals have the same exact weight as the background singers or just some regular instrument. I love what I'm hearing about the speed of the headphones. So can it be said that the 800s have no hint of the so-called Sennheiser veil, aka the gentle presentation unless you have the proper equipment?

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #2,563 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the HD800 making an appearance at the Bristol Show next Friday?

Yes. It is the 1st public showing (£8 entrance fee to the show) in the UK I think. WhatHifi have listed it on their website.

"Sennheiser - Bristol Suite
Sennheiser is presenting its new top-of-the-range HD 800 headphones, aimed at audiophiles looking for the ultimate cans."

What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision - Blogs

biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #2,564 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://putts.smugmug.com/photos/473076112_J6zFd-L.jpg

Good times!
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back