The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Feb 14, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #2,566 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
473076112_J6zFd-L.jpg

Actually Tyll, is concentrating on using telekenetics to turn the volume knob.

Feb 14, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #2,567 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the HD800 making an appearance at the Bristol Show next Friday?

Yes (and I'll be there Friday and Saturday)

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW John Willett, is there ring type microphone capsule? Maybe soon to come from Sennheiser then?

Not that I know of - the condenser capsule is definitely the best for mics. And the symmetrical one gives the lowest distortion.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #2,568 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes (and I'll be there Friday and Saturday)

Sweet

I'll be there on the Friday with the portable kit you see in the sig. Can't be carrying the Edirol, GS Novo (on loan) and one of my laptops as I want to travel light
tongue.gif

Although if you are close enough to the GS stand then we could work something out
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #2,569 of 5,928
So far I'm not seeing any mention of this in any early reviews or impressions: No "dark, muddy, veiled" like descriptions like I see associated with the Senns 650s from time to time? Not applicable here?

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #2,570 of 5,928
JaZZ, arnaud, and John Willett - Thanks for your explanations. I'm always glad to learn more about the science behind audio and your explanations are great.

If any of you don't mind, I've posted a few questions about human hearing in the sound science forum. Perhaps one (if not all) of you can answer my questions.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f133/q...earing-409238/
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not that much into computers and don't know what a Turing machine is. Could you explain?

To put it very simply, a Turing machine is a computer (not a real computer, just a mathematical and philosophical thought experiment) that can perform/execute any algorithm that a real life computer can.

So, if a real computer can do it, a Turing machine can do it. If a Turing machine cannot do it, a real computer cannot do it. This was what I was talking about when I asked about an "ideal" driver.

The Turing machine idea is used for different things, but it many ways it's an "ideal" computer. It helps people explore what a computer can and cannot do. I believe at least one philosopher (Dan Dennett) argued that by using the Turing Machine and Turing test (a simple test for intelligence) we can demonstrate that a the computer as we know it cannot gain consciousness.

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #2,571 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually Tyll, is concentrating on using telekenetics to turn the volume knob.

Maybe he's just rolling a booger.

Feb 15, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #2,572 of 5,928
"You're so leettle, leettle people, I squish you like a grape. I'll squish you" - Kids In The Hall

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #2,574 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"You're so leettle, leettle people, I squish you like a grape. I'll squish you" - Kids In The Hall

I thought it was Crush, not squish.

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #2,577 of 5,928
verbatim quote taken from marketing blurb on hd800's

"Audiophiles might also be pleased to note that the headphones' cable is made from silver-plated, oxygen-free, Kevlar-reinforced copper.
"

for all the people getting their hd-800's recabled, worth taking this into consideration in terms of the recabler matching this base level of quality

Feb 15, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #2,578 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"Audiophiles might also be pleased to note that the headphones' cable is made from silver-plated, oxygen-free, Kevlar-reinforced copper.
"

for all the people getting their hd-800's recabled, worth taking this into consideration in terms of the recabler matching this base level of quality

The cable is also balanced, it's just the jack plug that isn't.

Feb 15, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #2,579 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"

I expect that Sennheiser would have at least figured out by now how to make a fantastic audiophile-grade cable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cable is also balanced, it's just the jack plug that isn't.

I foresee a lot of 4-pin XLR conversions happening then, specially for me in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back