The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Feb 16, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #2,596 of 5,928
Another thing, balanced for "some" (or at least one), seems the only way to go; however, it seems possible that the HD 800 may not benefit from this "improvement".

Are you "guys" going to listen to the HD 800 in its original form single ended (SE) before performing modifications?

Asking a company to make alternative cable choices available seems a wee bit farfetched. Why not build a headphone amplifier that adopts the industry standard SE termination, as well as your termination of choice?

Is it that hard to do, or unreasonable to ask?

There seems to be quite a few alternatives offer and/or available; however, the balanced cable is still a issue for "some".
confused.gif

Alternatives:

Time/Wait (#1)
Buy a cheap SE amp (sell it later)
Build a cheap SE amp (sell it later)
Modify a new HD 800 cable
Add a SE port to your existing amplifier (I'm not DIY savvy (can you tell))
etc.

Music should be the main goal...Sennheiser has even went as far as including the headphones individual-diffused frequency graph online.

I'm afraid that all of these modifications are going to change the intent of the HD 800s sound. Wouldn't changing the cables to XLR alter the intended frequency?

To your ears they may sound good, but do you know what the end frequencies will be?

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #2,597 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another thing, balanced for "some" (or at least one), seems the only way to go; however, it seems possible that the HD 800 may not benefit from this "improvement".

Are you "guys" going to listen to the HD 800 in its original form single ended (SE) before performing modifications?

Asking a company to make alternative cable choices available seems a wee bit farfetched. Why not build a headphone amplifier that adopts the industry standard SE termination, as well as your termination of choice?

Is it that hard to do, or unreasonable to ask?

There seems to be quite a few alternatives offer and/or available; however, the balanced cable is still a issue for "some".
confused.gif

Alternatives:

Time/Wait (#1)
Buy a cheap SE amp (sell it later)
Build a cheap SE amp (sell it later)
Modify a new HD 800 cable
Add a SE port to your existing amplifier (I'm not DIY savvy (can you tell))
etc.

Music should be the main goal...Sennheiser has even went as far as including the headphones individual-diffused frequency graph online.

I'm afraid that all of these modifications are going to change the intent of the HD 800s sound. Wouldn't changing the cables to XLR alter the intended frequency?

To your ears they may sound good, but do you know what the end frequencies will be?

Opened up a whole new can of worms, eh?

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #2,598 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tired argument that people need to reconsider whether (or not) to recable seems tiring, and, boorish.

The whole cable upgrade idea is tiring and boorish. If you think cables sound different, they do. If you don't think they sound diffferent, they don't.

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #2,599 of 5,928
Okay, so, this is really a bit dumb .... it was a great excuse to listen to the 800s for a while though.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I really can't add much to what Jude's already said. To my ears they're simply the best headphone I've ever heard.

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #2,601 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, so, this is really a bit dumb .... it was a great excuse to listen to the 800s for a while though.

YouTube - hd800effect

I really can't add much to what Jude's already said. To my ears they're simply the best headphone I've ever heard.

I lol'd

Tyll, will you do measurements for HD800?

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #2,602 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I'll OJ this one more time - the issue is NOT NOT NOT about recable for recable sake.

1. I am buying a hd800 from Headroom
2. Headroom has a 30 day return policy - nice insurance
3. I have balanced equipment only, so I HAVE TO RETERMINATE
4. I hack the included cable to balances (2xXLR) it kills #2
5. Sennheiser part #532758 is the replacement cable
5a. Senn replacement cable is not available yet
5b. No idea of cost, when available
6. More reasonable approach is to hack an existing balanced cable

To me, the issue is simply about two things - initial ability to return the phones, by leaving the STOCK cable STOCK. The easiest solution to that dilemna is putting LEMO connectors on one of my existing balanced cables.

Again, anyone thinking this is recable for the sake of bettering the cable, it is NOT. This is simply mitigating risk.

Seems to me the only ones perpetuating the idea there is a groundswell to get aftermarket cables are those who dislike the concept of aftermarket cables in the first place.

But, since there is no alternative (and, in fact, the connectors look to NOT be a standard LEMO, but proprietary, again), we'll have no choice, again, but to hack Senn 'company store' cables.

I WOULD be simply overjoyed if Senn provided stock 2xXLR or 4pin XLR terminations, especially since they already run the requisite wiring to do so.

I don't know much at all about balanced terminations, so please forgive me if this is a really ignorant question.

Would a 1/4" to XLR adapter accomplish what you're trying to achieve, or does it compromise the sound?

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #2,603 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I lol'd

Tyll, will you do measurements for HD800?

Yeah, Wayne, did them yesterday, they should be up tomorrow sometime.

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #2,604 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would a 1/4" to XLR adapter accomplish what you're trying to achieve, or does it compromise the sound?

This way ground of both channels would still be combined and it might even fry the amp.Depends on the amp though.
In any case your idea doesn't make much sense.

I think there's no problem at all.It's quite easy to chop the 1/4 " plug off and to reterminate .The stock cable will be available from day one on since this is such a common spare part with immediate demand.
There's always the fool that will roll over the cable with his office chair after three days of ownership and Sennheiser knows this .........

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #2,606 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This way ground of both channels would still be combined and it might even fry the amp.Depends on the amp though.
In any case your idea doesn't make much sense.

I think there's no problem at all.It's quite easy to chop the 1/4 " plug off and to reterminate .The stock cable will be available from day one on since this is such a common spare part with immediate demand.
There's always the fool that will roll over the cable with his office chair after three days of ownership and Sennheiser knows this .........

Thanks for that information. I had no idea that was the case.

So an XLR to 1/4" adapter would be ok, but not the other way around?

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #2,607 of 5,928
i personally will not say they are the best headphone i have ever heard. they are top notch. like i mentioned earlier they will not/cannot replace all my other $1,000+ headphones. they are outstanding in their own right though.

remember once the hd600 was the best headphone we all had heard.

if there was one headphone i simply prefer, it is the he90 with hev90 and nos mullards. incidently, guess who made that gem lol.

so, they are in good company at least
smily_headphones1.gif

music_man

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #2,608 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Opened up a whole new can of worms, eh?

Not really - education is sometimes a painful process. But, best for me to just be silent now, and laugh later. We have lived this saga before, and Senn just seems completely tonedeaf, especially if they do use proprietary plugs, again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back