The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Feb 16, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #2,611 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, Wayne, did them yesterday, they should be up tomorrow sometime.

Yesterday? You had him working on Valentines Day?

Wow, those headphones must truly invoke true love
smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Sennheiser representative told me that Sennheiser will be producing 40 units a day for worldwide distribution.

40 units a day and they are handmade?

Wow, that's a lot of "handy" work!

If that's true, then unless they are only making them for 5 days and stopping, then how can they only have such a small amount to release to the US?
confused.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #2,613 of 5,928
What other headphones of yours ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i personally will not say they are the best headphone i have ever heard. they are top notch. like i mentioned earlier they will not/cannot replace all my other $1,000+ headphones. they are outstanding in their own right though.

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #2,614 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
40 units a day and they are handmade?

Wow, that's a lot of "handy" work!

If that's true, then unless they are only making them for 5 days and stopping, then how can they only have such a small amount to release to the US?
confused.gif

Unless they are molding plastic by hand, the parts are all machine made. Hand assembled just means that a person puts the parts together. That's like saying my Ikea furniture is handmade because I put it together!

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #2,615 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless they are molding plastic by hand, the parts are all machine made. Hand assembled just means that a person puts the parts together. That's like saying my Ikea furniture is handmade because I put it together!

Unless you (or any of us) gets an opportunity to visit the Sennheiser plant and observe the HD800 work flow, it's impossible to say one way or another what level of human involvement is going on. Obviously, it's beyond the "norm" or they wouldn't claim that the HD800s are "handmade" but of course I get your point that the main plastic parts are likely to be machine made. I don't think anyone would suspect otherwise, but the fact that they are measuring and carefully matching drivers is a good thing, IMO. While I can't prove that your Ikea assembly analogy is inapposite, I'd certainly hope that there is more going on than the proverbial turning of the wrench.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #2,616 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find this to be an apt analogy. At least you said it, and not me. By the way, has anyone seen the amazing new Roll-n-Glow Amish fireplaces? Wow, get yours now while limited supplies last!

"Real Amish Craftsmanship goes into each mantle The Amish take extraordinary pride in their innate craftsmanship ability. That's why each and every Roll-n-Glow mantle is specially crafted to last forever. Because of this, Amish crafted mantles like these cannot be found in the national chain stores. Not only is each mantle hand-made with the utmost importance on quality, every fireplace has a hand-rubbed stain and heat resistant varnish."

http://www.heatsurge.com/craftsmanship.cfm

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #2,617 of 5,928
That late night TV commercial is awesome. It is very rare that we get to take an outside look into the private lives of the Amish craftsmen.

Generations of father and son, working side by side, on a fireplace that is portable, has no real fire, is cool to the touch (no more burned doggie noses) and uses the same amount of power as a coffee maker (although my coffee maker dims the lights of everything on it's circuit). It is so breathtakingly beautiful, that I might get one to put smack dab in the middle of my 12 X 18 livingroom in my 2 bedroom apartment. Of course I will have to spend thou$ands in Echo Busters so it doesn't interfere with my surround sound.

I wasn't putting down the "hand made" qualities of the HD800. I am number 10 on Tyll's Top 60 countdown. I was stating that I find it hard to believe that they will be making 40 a day, when so little are going to be available in the near future.

Grado has his gals hand assemble most of his headphones in house too.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #2,619 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Obviously, it's beyond the "norm" or they wouldn't claim that the HD800s are "handmade"

The fact that production is domestic is justification enough. Pretty much all products made in China are hand made as well. Same for Ireland since its relevant to previous Senn models. Its simply a phrase for marketing to make it sound more special than it is so dont fall for it.

In reality im quit positive the parts for the HD800 are produced elsewhere then shipped to the factory to be snapped/glued/screwed together, cleaned and finished, then tested.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #2,620 of 5,928
Are authorised dealers allowed to offer discount on HD800 ? I'm told that one reason for the strict distribution policy is to conteract discount war of online trade and retail competition. Such policy will apply to HD600/HD650 as well.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #2,621 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In reality im quit positive the parts for the HD800 are produced elsewhere then shipped to the factory to be snapped/glued/screwed together, cleaned and finished, then tested.

Not according to this video:

YouTube - Sennheiser HD800 Reference Class Headphones (WS/HQ)

...although...they do say that they are entirely, designed, developed, and hand assembled in their headquarters in Gemany. They don't say anything about "manufactured". Confused by alliteration.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #2,622 of 5,928
On another more serious note, on the front page of the New York Time's yesterday, it showed some of the effects of the global recession. Sometimes I wonder if perhaps we might be heading towards a world-wide depression. Given this economic climate, how long will Sennheiser be able to sustain the $1400 price point of the HD800? No matter how secure we think Sennheiser is in the market, look at what has been happening so far; as I am sure everyone knows by now, Pioneer is closing shop. Done. Nada.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #2,623 of 5,928
They are closing shop on their Plasmas. Not their other products.

Hey, I can't get any sound on Tyll's video, both on his link and directly on Youtube. Is anyone else getting audio?

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #2,625 of 5,928
For many hours of "music enjoyment", the earpads are made of Japanese Akantara, which is particularly friendly to the skin."

That's gotta be worth something. ^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back