The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 29, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #4,531 of 9,165
I am not saying that the product is perfect,  no product is perfect,  i am just saying that i never get this sluggish ui you are talking about,  i agree with the rest of your feedback though

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #4,532 of 9,165
Audionewb, excuse me do you think i am pretending? do you think Gavin is pretending? Anak? all other chaps here who bought AK or RWAK pretending too?

uh, that's funny claim :-D

i concur that Apple is ubeatable when it comes to user interface and smooth functioning... but, but... i have tons of Apples in my home and among them only one iPod, and this for a good reason.

speaking about pretending, i trust my ears, i play piano by hearing because i do not know musical notes... so i hope my ears are fine as long as i can master Beethoven by hearing.

and my ears tell me they love RWAK miles and miles ahead of any iPod they heard... including latest offerings from Apple.

where i agree is that GUI and functionality on iPod is unbeatable... but for me sound quality in DAP is utmost priority so i can live without many things if player sounds great. and IF iPods would sound so good for me i would have bought them in no time. at least iPods are cheaper compared to my five Macs :-D

unfortunately iPod sound is not for me, my ears cannot listen to iPod
redface.gif

i wish Apple could make audiophile sounding iPod because that would be best for me and i could even live with iTunes in that case... but latest models are same garbage sound wise for me.

+1 on UI, while this slower than on iPod this is not as sluggish as you describe. i use two 32G MCSD cards 4class and find no issues so far. browsing speed is compatible or at least not far my Cowon. of course screen resolution is worse than Cowon leave alone iPads but is enough for me since i do not watch movies on DAP :-D

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #4,533 of 9,165
Audionewb, see below:

1-22 ohm resistor - RWAK or Mod2 or pick the right IEM/headphone
2-gapless issue - is a problem
3-Sluggish UI - not so slow as you wish
4- Inconsistant battery meter indicator - absolutely agree
5-Poor placement of the volume knob, should be positioned at the top - not an issue, buttons layout works fine for me
6-The layout is not truly one hand does all, it requires two hands to control this unit - depends

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #4,534 of 9,165
Errr...how's everyone's weekend? Fun? Did you guys watched the latest episode of "Game of Thrones"? If not., highly recommend that you do. Maybe watch it a couple of times, then come back to this thread. You may feel better 2nd round.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #4,535 of 9,165
Quote:
Errr...how's everyone's weekend? Fun? Did you guys watched the latest episode of "Game of Thrones"? If not., highly recommend that you do. Maybe watch it a couple of times, then come back to this thread. You may feel better 2nd round.

It was amazing right :wink: but back to reading the book for another week until the next episode. How long are the weeks between episodes :L 

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #4,536 of 9,165
Hi all - been lurking around this forum for a wee while with great interest - I am considering a decent offer of an Ak100 and plan to partner this with a new pair of Heir Audio 5.0s, I have a headphone amp (custom job from ebay which I have found to be pretty decent but I'm no expert) although wouldn't rule out investing in the Rendition 1 also.

Anyone have experience of partnering the 5.0s with the AK100 and is investing in this player a good idea considering the fiio x3/x5 are on the horizon and potentially the AK120??

I'm sure I could sell on the AK100 without too much difficulty should it turn out to be not for me but would love to hear your thoughts before I go down this road. Thanks in advance

Bertha

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #4,537 of 9,165
bertha, i have RWAK so no opinion on how AK100 pairs with Heirs 5.0

concerning amp i believe you will be well advised to check Tralucent T1 amp which got great synergy with my RWAK and AK generally. also you can check more expensive ALO Audio including their RX3 and Intercontinental with balanced out. Ray Samuels SR-71 Plus can be a superb sounding too according to Srpks experience with this and his AK100.

amp choices are less difficult because plenty of great products around.... DAPs completely different story though :frowning2:

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #4,538 of 9,165
I ll watch the whole thing when it is finished...more eager for book 6 :)

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #4,539 of 9,165
to me if you are going to pick it from ALO product, the international is pretty great choice, since you are going to have matching footprint with the ak100 (the international protudes just a bit more) i gave it a try a week ago at mikes headphone store , sounds pretty good with it, adds the much needed lower end on standard ak100

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #4,540 of 9,165
Been lurking a while now, had my AK100 for a few months.

I use it to commute, use SM64s (was using Westone 4R) and I use it as off-board DAC to my MacBook Pro while at work (listening with SHURE SRH840).

The comments about the UI made me have to respond.

Nope, no sluggishness, no "half-second" to respond here. The only time I get any delay is when i bring up the "all songs" list and the busy wait pops up. But when the list is generated the actual scrolling through it is fast and responsive. Track switching, menu access, jumping from current tune to menu and back again are all instant.

I have a Rockbox modded 160Gig ipod classic. Now that is the laggiest UI on a DAP that I have ever experienced. The AK100 is a paragon of swiftness in comparison to that.

Sure it's not perfect but the updates to the SD card reading have made a huge improvement to the over-all stability to the player. I have been impressed by improvements over the last few months and am very happy with this as a high-resolution audio player. The digital transport is just a wonderful added bonus for me.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #4,541 of 9,165
Quote:

I use it to commute, use SM64s (was using Westone 4R) and I use it as off-board DAC to my MacBook Pro while at work (listening with SHURE SRH840).

Nope, no sluggishness, no "half-second" to respond here. The only time I get any delay is when i bring up the "all songs" list and the busy wait pops up. But when the list is generated the actual scrolling through it is fast and responsive. Track switching, menu access, jumping from current tune to menu and back again are all instant.

I have a Rockbox modded 160Gig ipod classic. Now that is the laggiest UI on a DAP that I have ever experienced. The AK100 is a paragon of swiftness in comparison to that.

Sure it's not perfect but the updates to the SD card reading have made a huge improvement to the over-all stability to the player. I have been impressed by improvements over the last few months and am very happy with this as a high-resolution audio player. The digital transport is just a wonderful added bonus for me.

Welcome aboard.

I have a good friend who say the SM64 are stunning with the AK100
size]

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #4,542 of 9,165
+1. À 160gb classic is quite slow. My full ak100 is quite reactive except when I open a huge playlist

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #4,543 of 9,165
I think it makes no sense to bash a product which is not likable for some reason, just sell and move on instead of wasting time. I also had some ill thought purchases with other products but the idea of rambling never crossed my mind. I can say what i like or not like about the product but only when overall the product is a keeper for me. I can agree ten times that AK100 is not a perfect DAP, problem is there are very few alternatives and for me AK cuts it more well than other DAPs. I also do not find anything wrong with iPod as it aims at big auditorium and does many things well, but for me iPod never worked really well. After many thoughts i even decided to keep my Cowon for car although iPod was under consideration as car only player. At the same time i am loyal Apple customer having personal account at premium reseller and love all Apple products except for iPod :frowning2:

Apr 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #4,544 of 9,165
Quote:
I think it makes no sense to bash a product which is not likable for some reason, just sell and move on instead of wasting time. I also had some ill thought purchases with other products but the idea of rambling never crossed my mind. I can say what i like or not like about the product but only when overall the product is a keeper for me. I can agree ten times that AK100 is not a perfect DAP, problem is there are very few alternatives and for me AK cuts it more well than other DAPs. I also do not find anything wrong with iPod as it aims at big auditorium and does many things well, but for me iPod never worked really well. After many thoughts i even decided to keep my Cowon for car although iPod was under consideration as car only player. At the same time i am loyal Apple customer having personal account at premium reseller and love all Apple products except for iPod :frowning2:

Honestly Gintaras it depends on how you approach it. It's better to have both the good and the bad mentioned for the benefit of the members. If they only know the good and not the bad then it is very misleading and they may make a purchase based on not knowing both sides of the story. But at the same time we have to consider preferences and subjectivity of the matter. All a balancing act really.

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #4,545 of 9,165
I asked this in the Heir audio 5.0 thread, however I figure it's just as well placed here;

Has anyone tried the 5.0s with an unmodded AK100? I'm curious as to how the high impedance effects the sound, if at all.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back