The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 28, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #4,502 of 9,165
Quote:
Earlier on in the thread someone mentioned that a software update for gapless was in the works. Is this not the case anymore?

I got a reply a couple of times from iRiver that they were working on gapless. I hope they hold true to their word. 

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #4,503 of 9,165
Quote:
I got a reply a couple of times from iRiver that they were working on gapless. I hope they hold true to their word. 

I can't imagine why gapless is so hard to code for...Cowon did it several years ago and updated firmware to several of their players including the venerable D2 which I enjoyed for a very long time.
The Chinese DAPs that I have tried (Little Dot DP_I, iHIFI960, Dugood HDAP-01) all seem to suffer from this same limitation.  It could be they are all based on the same Rockchip processor family but how is that even limited?  I would think the firmware code could be programmed to "start next song immediately after previous".  Or am I missing something?

The most frustrating issue I've had has been trying to explain what gapless even is (and the need for it) to some of the Chinese manufacturers when there is a severe language barrier on both sides.  Nobody's fault of course, but it is frustrating.

Sorry...off my soapbox...

Looking forward to seeing gapless firmware appear on some more of these DAPs...that will determine whether I am willing to try them out or not.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #4,504 of 9,165
Quote:
I can't imagine why gapless is so hard to code for...Cowon did it several years ago and updated firmware to several of their players including the venerable D2 which I enjoyed for a very long time.
The Chinese DAPs that I have tried (Little Dot DP_I, iHIFI960, Dugood HDAP-01) all seem to suffer from this same limitation.  It could be they are all based on the same Rockchip processor family but how is that even limited?  I would think the firmware code could be programmed to "start next song immediately after previous".  Or am I missing something?

The most frustrating issue I've had has been trying to explain what gapless even is (and the need for it) to some of the Chinese manufacturers when there is a severe language barrier on both sides.  Nobody's fault of course, but it is frustrating.

Sorry...off my soapbox...

Looking forward to seeing gapless firmware appear on some more of these DAPs...that will determine whether I am willing to try them out or not.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

LIke many have stated, when playing live performances, without gapless it really messes with the flow and actually, for me, interferes as if songs are chopped up, not just the point between them since it is a continual flow and not a studio album. 

Apr 28, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #4,506 of 9,165
Quote:
LIke many have stated, when playing live performances, without gapless it really messes with the flow and actually, for me, interferes as if songs are chopped up, not just the point between them since it is a continual flow and not a studio album. 

Yep! +1...  Although I have studio albums mixed the same way like ELO "Time"...
The Lord of the Rings Complete Recordings has very smooth flowing transitions as well (sucks with any break in the flow).

We are in agreement.

Cheers!
-HK sends

Apr 28, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #4,507 of 9,165
guys, there is some reason why no gapless on audiophile players. remember even a mighty Terra has no gapless? i think Terra creator even had an explanation for no gapless, you must google to read this :frowning2:

ah, yeah, ELO Time album, love it along with Secret Messages and a cople of older ELO albums.

Apr 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #4,508 of 9,165
Quote:
guys, there is some reason why no gapless on audiophile players. remember even a mighty Terra has no gapless? i think Terra creator even had an explanation for no gapless, you must google to read this :frowning2:

ah, yeah, ELO Time album, love it along with Secret Messages and a cople of older ELO albums.

Yep!  Got the collection!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #4,509 of 9,165
Quote:

I'd love to hear that reason, if there really is a reason.
rolleyes.gif
  iPods can do gapless, many Cowons can do gapless, and anything that Rockbox will run on can do gapless (and most of those ports did not do gapless natively). So all these so-called audiophile players should get with the program.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #4,510 of 9,165
Quote:

I'd love to hear that reason, if there really is a reason.
rolleyes.gif
  iPods can do gapless, many Cowons can do gapless, and anything that Rockbox will run on can do gapless (and most of those ports did not do gapless natively). So all these so-called audiophile players should get with the program.

+1

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #4,511 of 9,165
Does anyone ever have a problem with the ak100 freezing when doing a scan?

I deleted all the music off its internal drive, then reloaded my memory cards, and it keeps freezing on the scan at song 603 until the battery dies .  At that point, if I charge the unit so it starts up, the artist, album, song folders show as empty but my music partially shows up in the sd1 and sd2 folders (some is missing).

What to do??

ps: unrelated note- ak100 + alo international + audeze lcd3s is a really good combination

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #4,512 of 9,165
Does anyone ever have a problem with the ak100 freezing when doing a scan?

I deleted all the music off its internal drive, then reloaded my memory cards, and it keeps freezing on the scan at song 603 until the battery dies .  At that point, if I charge the unit so it starts up, the artist, album, song folders show as empty but my music partially shows up in the sd1 and sd2 folders (some is missing).

What to do??

ps: unrelated note- ak100 + alo international + audeze lcd3s is a really good combination

I haven't had this issue, but sounds like a corrupted file or something.

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #4,514 of 9,165
Quote:

Don't get me wrong..I like them both..... 
size]

Is just that the Stage 2 changes the character completely.....and it will work with low impedance IEMs as does the RWA

However, I love the sound of a stock AK100 with FitEar C/IEMs. I am listening to the 334 on the stock AK100 and enjoying it very much!

I had a chance to listen to the stock AK 100 with my 334s and the sound was very good. The unit I was using was a A&K factory's rep and of course was not modded. There are going to be new models......FWICR in August/September. And one will be double the price.

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #4,515 of 9,165
Quote:
I had a chance to listen to the stock AK 100 with my 334s and the sound was very good. The unit I was using was a A&K factory's rep and of course was not modded. There are going to be new models......FWICR in August/September. And one will be double the price.

Saraguie

I loved the stock AK100 with the 334. I just had my 334 returned and I listened for an hour......sounds clean and focused
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back