The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 14, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #1,846 of 9,165
Quote:
Quote:
More or less, but you'd also have to edit out all the extra code that a "real" standard-compliant .pls includes...
tongue_smile.gif

The playlists I tried so far are too small to have much of an impact, but I think access through the database generated by the "Library Scan" should be as fast at least since all the info is accessible in one compact file...

Maybe I should have you send me some of that coding to input into my own files lol. Well I did contact iRiver so hopefully they'll address this but it really isn't acceptable... But that is the mantra in this day and age. Even video game makers are making a bad habit of rushing stuff out the door and giving you the middle finger :wink:.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #1,851 of 9,165
Quote:
What concerns me about the resistor is that it most likely was placed in the circuit as a load that the output circuit would see if a short were created, which would preserve the circuit. Opamps often have protection for this but this discrete circuit would not, as it is parts and has to be built into the system. So if someone accidentally shorts the headphone output without the resistor, the circuit will see a direct path to ground with no resistance and it will burn out part of the circuit. A thermistor could also do this as it has very little resistance until a certain amount of current is drawn across it but it would, since directly in the signal path, most likely degrade the sound some.

If bulk is not an issue, would not the best way to solve the high impedance output be to pair it with an amp with lower output impedance say for instance Alo National (what about Leckerton UHA 6 with optical inp?)?. I don't mind the bulk but really need to be able to drive sensitive IEM's and I'm no fan of the DX100!

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #1,853 of 9,165
Quote:
If bulk is not an issue, would not the best way to solve the high impedance output be to pair it with an amp with lower output impedance say for instance Alo National (what about Leckerton UHA 6 with optical inp?)?. I don't mind the bulk but really need to be able to drive sensitive IEM's and I'm no fan of the DX100!

I'm actually stacking my RWAK100 right now with an Ortofon MHd-Q7 amp. I don't need to since the RWAK100 itself works well but I'm amidst reviewing the MHd-Q7 and size-wise, this stack actually works pretty well, kinda. Well the Ortofon is only slightly wider and shorter than the AK1000 but effectively it looks more like a cube. Whereas with something like the Rx Mk3, SR-71b, etc. the form factor doesn't work as well. It would be interesting to pair up the AK100 with something like the Pico Slim though since that's tiny and slim.

DX100 next to it for a size comparison...yes the RWAK100+MHd-Q7 is thicker, but not as long.

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #1,856 of 9,165
i'm using only on-board memory with very minimal lag...quicker than my RB'd iMod and less than half a sec behind standard iDevice when drilling down thru folders and onset of track start....

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #1,857 of 9,165
Quote:
Quote:
That's what I'm wondering... if the lag gets worse the more files you have stored.

I'm using two 64g msd cards on a stock AK100 with latest firmware.  Both  cards are almost fully loaded, and I have not experienced any lag issues. 

UHS-1? Class 10?

Would be interesting to know if it's a memory speed issue. I suspect if random access times on some of the cards some people are using are crummy, it's slowing them down.

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #1,860 of 9,165
Quote:
yes and yes... both cards are SanDisk Ultra 64gb Micro SDXC (Class 10; UHS-1)

Kicking myself for missing the $38 deal when it popped up. Best I think I can do is wait until the Samsung equivalent is $60 again :/ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back