The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 12, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #1,816 of 9,165
Quote:
I agree with Toads. EQ flat takes away a small bit of micro detail and airy highs but EQ flat sounds good too, so I could see swapping between the two depending on phone. Goodvibes explanation/ theory make some sense here. I wasn't expecting a difference.

So you've never experienced a difference before on your other players? My DX100 exhibited noticeable differences as well. More so on the newer firmware it was not necessary as it made the sound stage too big, but even more flat IMO. What I like about the EQ Flat on the iRiver is it allows me to turn the volume up higher without getting fatigued while if I use it on EQ off I'll have to listen even lower and thus be a bit bored lol. Strangely enough I felt I am getting more detail in the mids now since EQ is set to flat. For some reason I feel that extra treble is overshadowing some of the micro-detailing in the mids. At least for me it's distracting and taking away from it.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #1,817 of 9,165
Quote:
HI-posted on another related post, figured I'd post here as this seems to be more of a users forum. Been browsing, but the 120 pages is daunting, probably could find all this if I went page by page (maybe not), haven't got the time ( work work work). Let me some info and questions, some feedback would be great. I am currently using a number of Apple players (not the iPhone) and a HiSound Studio V Anniversary 3  (which I like for sound, has good amp power, but the software/UI and I don't get along). I have been considering portable amp/dac/combination units, and this seems intriguing, if it can do all of these. I use multiple good iem's (Westone, Sony, Ety's, Miles Davis Tributes, TF-10, Klipsch x10, others), and some over/on ears, most recently Senn 650's. The HiSound does seem to drive the 650's OK, iPods/iPads don't. The ability to use high rez Flac's is also appealing, have some, have to listen on PC now. Curious if this would serve these needs, also I noted Red Wine Audio seems to have some version of this, I looked at their site, not clear to me what (if anything) is different, though the thread does imply that there is some in earlier posts.
Thanks for any info.

You might get a reply to this if you phrase this better... its really confusing what exactly you're asking about

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,818 of 9,165
As SGS mentions I could see it a useful tool depending on the phone/material....I've found the RWAK100 to really come into it's own over the last 15-20 hrs of burn-in...I'm at about 80hrs now and I'm very impressed with this little gem...!!!

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #1,819 of 9,165
Quote:
As SGS mentions I could see it a useful tool depending on the phone/material....I've found the RWAK100 to really come into it's own over the last 15-20 hrs of burn-in...I'm at about 80hrs now and I'm very impressed with this little gem...!!!

I've grown more impressed with it as well. I've probably got over 50 hours on it so far.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #1,821 of 9,165
Quote:

What is it you want to do?

I want to be able to access all my music via playlists. It should be a matter of syncing them to the device via any basic program such as Media Monkey. My DX100 never had any issues with doing this and in that the DX100 was actually faster to access music than even this iRiver player...

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #1,822 of 9,165
So you've never experienced a difference before on your other players?

Coming mainly from apple players, I don't use the stock EQ in the stock players, so never tested it. Then on the iPhones, to use EQ you are using 3rd party app, so there is no off and flat. There's just flat and whatever EQ you you make or use. Like caracara08 says, I could get used to either easily but do prefer off.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #1,823 of 9,165
Quote:
So ivan do you feel the RWA AK100 is a clear upgrade over you Hifiman 801? If so they must have done something right lol. I do think it is up there in terms of sound quality with the DX100. Just very different presentations. The DX100 does have deeper bass if you guys are after the sickest of deep bass :wink:. I mean so deep where I would marvel at how low and well textured/layered the bass is. Plus the DX100 has a fuller/thicker sound. I'd say an even bigger sound stage overall. But the AK100 has a blacker background and an airier sound stage. The Studio V still takes the cake on both units in regards to imaging and width in the sound stage. It feels more like a full size headphone how the Studio V images the sound stage. The Studio is also airier sounding than the AK100. All have their merits in sound quality. Still the RWA AK100 seems to have the least amount of compromises in terms of UI, battery and sound quality all in one unit....

So I do feel it is a clear upgrade to the HM-801 and like you said it seems like it also has the least amount of compromises. Im glad I went ahead with his option, still want to try a DX100 but im also glad its comprable to the DX100 even if there is a chance it has slightly less SQ. This RWAK100 will likely keep me from wanting new portable gear for a long time.   

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #1,824 of 9,165
Quote:
Coming mainly from apple players, I don't use the stock EQ in the stock players, so never tested it. Then on the iPhones, to use EQ you are using 3rd party app, so there is no off and flat. There's just flat and whatever EQ you you make or use. Like caracara08 says, I could get used to either easily but do prefer off.

Fully understand where you're coming from. In fact so far it's only the DX100 and the (RW?)AK100 that I've heard differences between EQ off and flat EQ. Somewhat counterintuitive and, nevertheless, not the norm in DAPs.

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #1,825 of 9,165
Quote:

Fully understand where you're coming from. In fact so far it's only the DX100 and the (RW?)AK100 that I've heard differences between EQ off and flat EQ. Somewhat counterintuitive and, nevertheless, not the norm in DAPs.

I did hear differences though although very slight with EQ Flat using the eQu app on my iphone4 and even with the Sansa Fuze on EQ flat it sounded slightly different. But the ibasso and the iRiver make it very easy indeed to pinpoint those differences for sure.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #1,826 of 9,165
Quote:
So I do feel it is a clear upgrade to the HM-801 and like you said it seems like it also has the least amount of compromises. Im glad I went ahead with his option, still want to try a DX100 but im also glad its comprable to the DX100 even if there is a chance it has slightly less SQ. This RWAK100 will likely keep me from wanting new portable gear for a long time.   

I'm probably around to 60 hour mark of burning in the unit. I have it plugged into the PC on loop at max volume. Does the RWA AK100 go even higher than 75? It kinda seemed like that if you keep scrolling the bar up. A feature my logitech Z5500 speakers also have. Anyways I'm using a 75 ohm impedance adapter (generally made for etymotic) to put the amp section under stress.

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #1,827 of 9,165
So last night I got in some decent listening time and because of the headphones I used, I was playing around with the EQ and here's my take:

- I think most of the impressions that it somehow smooths things over comes mostly from the fact that the moment you turn it on, it lowers the volume even when flat. I tried to earball it by turning it on and off, and adjusting the volume until it sounded like a match, on a fairly even track. I got ~5 full steps. Beyond that, I could honestly not hear any coloration when more or less level-matched.

Later when thinking about it, I found it would make sense: after all the general rule of thumb to avoid clipping or distortions is to EQ down. The AK100's EQ has 10 gradations in either direction, and 5 full steps = 10 half steps. By lowering it by that much when enabled, it ensures that even when you EQ up to the max, at max. volume (75) it never actually goes past that limit... keeping the sound clean.

- Also, now that I've actually used it, I find it to be another half-baked feature, iRiver-style:
1) there' no easy way to reset it to flat, you have to either draw a flat line or go into advanced mode and reset each band individually... (CORRECTION: not each one individually, at least it resets all of them at once) and speaking of that:
2) There are no presets and no way to save a custom one either (I'd love to have a couple for my favourite Shure 535 setting and one more for one other headphone in particular. Like I wrote in my big post: iRiver has their work cut out to deliver an experience beyond the audiophile claims, there' no excuse for that, "purist" approach or not.
mad.gif

- Now that I have listened to it quite a bit ("burn-in" or otherwise) I have to concur with others who think it is a bit flat overall (or the Headfonia guy thinking it was a bit cold and lifeless) I don't consider that necessarily a bad thing, but the pairing becomes important. I think that's why I like a couple of headphones better than others, in particular the TH900: the AK100 probably tames it  just enough to be to my liking (no EQ). Other more neutral 'phones may be at a disadvantage under that premise.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #1,829 of 9,165
Sorry, tend to go on too long, and let the ADHD kick in. Basically, I have a number of players, iplayers and the HiSound Studio V as mentioned. I find I like the sound of the Studio the best, but have trouble with UI and reliability, makes me crazy, It also seems to be able to drive my HD650's well, which the iPad/iPod's don't. Up to now, my options seemed to be 1)live with the HiSound, though I use the others just because the Studio is such a PIA 2)get some combo of amp/DAC (separate or combined) to use with the iPOD/iPad. This thread made me wonder if the AK100 would cover all these issues (good sound, power to drive Senn's, good UI), and give me hi-rez ability to boot.It's not cheap, but neither is the various combinations of equipment I'm considering, and would be much more convenient. Looking for any thoughts along these lines, I realize it's not easy to 

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #1,830 of 9,165
...advised completely on this, but looking for some feedback/experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back