The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #1,876 of 9,165
Ahh, are those the freq phase model? Really curious how much this model has improved from their previous model :).

Haven't heard the originals but I suspect I'll love the new ones :)

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #1,878 of 9,165
Quote:
Just to be clear, the NAND and controllers used on UHS-1 have much higher random read rates than class 4 or regular class 10 cards. If you see a quicker UI with no cards inserted, there's a chance faster cards make a difference. I'll test out once mine arrives.

I'm using a couple of UHS-1 cards and still have the UI slowdowns. I think it's more tied to CPU/processing than drive/card speed since it seems to be worse -during- playback of 192/24 tracks vs 44.1/16 (the cards having more than enough throughput for either), and not just while browsing tracks but any UI usage.

It's noticeable but not a major usability issue. My iPod Classic has had the same issues forever esp. during lossless playback; the UI would hang for a second or two, and that's without anything nearly as demanding as the HD playback on the AK100... most importantly on either device audio playback ALWAYS takes priority, as it should be. If it started to stutter while I use the UI, I'd probably sell the thing within a couple of days.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #1,879 of 9,165
Well it varies for me on each menu. Some of them can be a split second as you say (generally after you've accessed that menu already). Some can be about 2 seconds to access the menu. When accessing folders it's about 1.5 to 2 seconds with the loading bars.

I have 106GB worth of FLACs (2x64GB cards). The -ONLY- menu item that takes more than 1 second (definitely not exceeding 2) is System Information.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #1,880 of 9,165
Quote:
I got my AK100, but the first hour doesn't feel the song right, how many hours need to run in? I use my 425 to listen the song I need to use volume to 35, but slowly the sounds getting louder today ? How come?

Don't know about your volume problem, but the SE425 just don't seem like a good choice for the AK100, even though iriver are still listing them among their recommended headphones (scroll to bottom).

In fact you'll get up to 4db boost in treble over bass with the SE425, due to the AK100's high output impedance:

(source: hifi-forum.de)

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #1,881 of 9,165
I've got a little over 30 hours on the rwak100 and I can say on SQ alone, its a keeper for me. Just really a great match for the TG334. Can't wait to hear my incoming AS-2 on it (please don't be delayed!).

I hope when they update firmware to play AAC and ALAC, they address portability of playlists and playlist types. I'd really like to transfer my existing iTunes playlists over. Also the EQ functionality needs to be enhanced. You should be able to save more than EQ. Would be nice to configure one for each of several phones if desired. Also 62hz is the bottom most frequency band. That needs to be changed to 32hz at least.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #1,882 of 9,165
Quote:
.... I hope when they update firmware to play AAC and ALAC, they address portability of playlists and playlist types. I'd really like to transfer my existing iTunes playlists over. 

+100

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #1,883 of 9,165
Quote:

Don't know about your volume problem, but the SE425 just don't seem like a good choice for the AK100, even though iriver are still listing them among their recommended headphones (scroll to bottom).

In fact you'll get up to 4db boost in treble over bass with the SE425, due to the AK100's high output impedance:

(source: hifi-forum.de)

They did it on purpose,
wink_face.gif
 It's made specifically for that unit and the klipsch x10. LOL

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #1,884 of 9,165
Getting down to crunch time!  Have a work trip coming up and would be great to take a high end DAP on the road with me for 5 weeks.  

People out their with the Heir Audio 4 A, are you happy with the RWAK100 combination?

If I don't end up spending more money on another higher impedance IEM then it would be the 4 Ai and RE-262 on the road with me.      

Or would the smart thing to do is wait several months when there are a bunch of new DAPs on the market and then choose.  I like my iPod form factor but when my $20-50 USB DAC are trouncing it in terms of SQ I know it is time to upgrade my portable source. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #1,885 of 9,165
Same wonderings here, how would the AK 100 with or without RWAs mod , pair with Dt1350 or the FXD 80? I think I can only hold back to not purchase this player because of its inability to play ALAC and no way so far for me to sync it to itunes. I like its shape, Its dimension , its styling, and since everyone says it sounds good with the RWA mod, i think it would be an interesting upgrade from my ipod touch

thanks guys

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #1,889 of 9,165
Quote:
I've noticed some sort of a glitch in AK100 software, I played around 100 flac's and two of those files now get a
"This file format is unsupported" msg, even though it was playing them fine the day before.
The weird thing is that the message only pops out sometimes, and only when I try to ff or rewind the track,  if I play it from start to the end it works flawlessly.

(I use the latest 1.20 firmware)

seems it affects only 24bit/48kHz FLAC's,  found a whole Bjork album where on desktop it runs good as always, but AK100 starts to stutter while trying to play those files, then it pops with the unsupported msg.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #1,890 of 9,165
Quote:
I have 106GB worth of FLACs (2x64GB cards). The -ONLY- menu item that takes more than 1 second (definitely not exceeding 2) is System Information.

Not the case for me. Sometimes but this is rare. It will take up to 3 seconds lol. Usually in folder view is where it takes the longest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back