The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 14, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #1,861 of 9,165
Quote:
If bulk is not an issue, would not the best way to solve the high impedance output be to pair it with an amp with lower output impedance say for instance Alo National (what about Leckerton UHA 6 with optical inp?)?. I don't mind the bulk but really need to be able to drive sensitive IEM's and I'm no fan of the DX100!

Even with an amp, it is better to have your output device into the amp with the lowest output impedance possible. Tube preamps achieve this with a tube in the buffer position as a cathode follower, which can lower the ouput impedance to less than an ohm. And if you have to stack to get a lower impedance you are defeating the purpose of the DAP.

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #1,863 of 9,165
Jan 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #1,864 of 9,165
Class 4 and class 10. The players UI simply just lags a bit. Not a big deal but its not as fast as some will have you believe. It's acceptable. Nothing like an iphone4 though.

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #1,865 of 9,165
by my account and others it is inconsequential...it is not nearly as bad as some would have you believe...

i think someone is trying really hard to not like his new DAP and looking for any reason(s) to ship it off to a new owner...plus he likes his players to be able to make him cry...lol ;-P

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #1,866 of 9,165
Quote:
by my account and others it is inconsequential...it is not nearly as bad as some would have you believe...

i think someone is trying really hard to not like his new DAP and looking for any reason(s) to ship it off to a new owner...plus he likes his players to be able to make him cry...lol ;-P

You know it. When you gear can have that much of an emotional impact on you, you've reached audio nirvana :wink:... As I said "not a big deal" but there is lag on the UI. To say otherwise is misleading to buyers here.

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #1,867 of 9,165
Sounds like it needs Rockbox. 
L3000.gif

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #1,868 of 9,165
Quote:
You know it. When you gear can have that much of an emotional impact on you, you've reached audio nirvana :wink:... As I said "not a big deal" but there is lag on the UI. To say otherwise is misleading to buyers here.

...or you need to up the visits to the therapist...:wink:

i did not say there was 'no lag'...let's not go down that road...i said it was inconsequential, in fact i measured it against my iDevice and found it less than half a sec from drilling down top folders to track start...

my time is valuable i admit, but i can handle a 3 or 4 tenths here and there...lol

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #1,869 of 9,165
Well it varies for me on each menu. Some of them can be a split second as you say (generally after you've accessed that menu already). Some can be about 2 seconds to access the menu. When accessing folders it's about 1.5 to 2 seconds with the loading bars.

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #1,870 of 9,165
Class 4 and class 10. The players UI simply just lags a bit. Not a big deal but its not as fast as some will have you believe. It's acceptable. Nothing like an iphone4 though.

Just to be clear, the NAND and controllers used on UHS-1 have much higher random read rates than class 4 or regular class 10 cards. If you see a quicker UI with no cards inserted, there's a chance faster cards make a difference. I'll test out once mine arrives.

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #1,871 of 9,165
Strange though as I've never had that issue on other players even with Class 2 cards. My Sansa Fuze was as snappy as it gets in that regards. I think it's just the firmware on the player to be honest but keep us posted (if you are getting an AK100?).

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #1,872 of 9,165
Strange though as I've never had that issue on other players even with Class 2 cards. My Sansa Fuze was as snappy as it gets in that regards. I think it's just the firmware on the player to be honest but keep us posted (if you are getting an AK100?).

An RWAK100 and if I have time an ak100 to dink around with at the electronics lab at work.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #1,874 of 9,165
Nice. I look forward to the comparison. Will you be using sensitive IEMs to do the comparison?

Have JH16s coming sometime in the next few weeks. Unsure when they'll arrive, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back