The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jul 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #6,316 of 9,165
Milarepa, you know Listrid sound is addictive and nice... but if you listen critically i am sure you will note how some acoustic subtleys and dynamics are swallowed on more complex music which i attribute to lower impedance mod which makes Listrid FW sound overly aggressive while hardware cannot fully cope with this. Try going back to Iriver 2.0 Beta version and do more comparison, i suspect you will be surprised. But it all depends what signature you prefer which is personal taste. i expect natural unobstructed sound when note and music rendition is seamless and effortless with perfect crossover blending if you like. it means if drummer sticks hit drum in sequence the attack decay must naturally blend into sequential splash and naturalness of decay will be very important. i can sacrifice some detail but not dynamic and layering.

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #6,317 of 9,165
I'm for listrid 2.0 too. The 2.01 is simply too sterile for my taste.

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #6,320 of 9,165
:) I'm glad everyone is loving Listrid. Btw can I check when running Listrid 2.0, go check system info, does it say version 1.0? Cuz mine says that. But I've installed it over v2.01. So I'm pretty sure I'm using Listrid 2.0

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #6,323 of 9,165
Ok this may be sacrilege to some, but is there any interest in having the AK100 play DTS files?  I have a pile of high quality DTS albums (Beck Guero for one) that sound great over a 5.1 system.  I hoped the AK would just feed them straight via toslink since they are essentially WAV files but alas, all I got was the telltale static when played.  Obviously the AK doesn't know how to decode the DTS stream. Any idea if this is even possible with a firmware tweak or is there more to it than that?

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #6,324 of 9,165
Should is the key. The same could be said that the firmwares should not change the sound of the player yet it does :wink:.
But I don't believe iRiver has proclaimed that have they? Or did I miss it?

Anyhow, how many people have claimed sonic differences between the gold & black? I know of two. If we have a count of hands that'll be good. Personally, I couldn't hear a difference but I was in a shop so not the ideal of conditions even though I had isolating CIEMs.

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #6,325 of 9,165
Quote:
But I don't believe iRiver has proclaimed that have they? Or did I miss it?

Anyhow, how many people have claimed sonic differences between the gold & black? I know of two. If we have a count of hands that'll be good. Personally, I couldn't hear a difference but I was in a shop so not the ideal of conditions even though I had isolating CIEMs.

Speaking with JMoon regarding the situation with the AK120; he said that the sound was not suppose to change and that it is not a good thing for them in terms of quality control/consistency. From what I gathered he was not happy at all about this. Personally I don't mind so much as long as I have access to the previous firmwares to make my own decision. But that is the problem as of right now. It's taking way too long for something so simple as a firmware upload from them and it is not acceptable.

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #6,326 of 9,165
Should be receiving the AK100later this afternoon
size]

Really intrigued to how it compares with the AK120 as a source or when the 120 is used as usb dac.

I have very high expectations of the 100S................

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #6,327 of 9,165
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm glad everyone is loving Listrid. Btw can I check when running Listrid 2.0, go check system info, does it say version 1.0? Cuz mine says that. But I've installed it over v2.01. So I'm pretty sure I'm using Listrid 2.0

yes, this is the case, Listrid 2.0 shows in info version 1.0 
confused.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #6,328 of 9,165
Quote:
size]

Really intrigued to how it compares with the AK120 as a source or when the 120 is used as usb dac.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!!!
popcorn.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #6,329 of 9,165
size]

Can't wait to hear your thoughts it for myself!!!

Really need find time for the long overdue high tea G!

Jul 2, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #6,330 of 9,165
Quote:
Can't wait to hear your thoughts!!!
popcorn.gif

Message you, buddy!

Quote:

Can't wait to hear your thoughts it for myself!!!

Really need find time for the long overdue high tea G!

Anytime...you know I am really flexible
size]

You are the busy one!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back