The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jun 30, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #6,286 of 9,165
Hi Phanom,

The external coating material is just an anodize.  All 3 version are anodized aluminum.  The only difference is the color of the dye they use in the anodization process.

If anyone can hear the difference based on the color of the dye, they must have extraordinary hearing.  Hopefully they weren't offended by my comments.  

PS: Thanks for updating your post with your experience swapping the batteries.  

Best regards,

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie
Some person may extraordinary hearing like you said or their reference system is good enough to show the diff
Even it minor, I am still stand behind them and respect their hearing.

Please try it yourself or check with one of your big fan customer who recently sent his black ak100 for rwak100s but keep the gold ak100.

I think we should stop here since it is not related to you or my mod and you also do not hear it yourself yet. I just want to show them it is not battery matter so many people not ask for changing gold battery.

Phanom

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #6,287 of 9,165
Quote:

Hi Phanom,

The external coating material is just an anodize.  All 3 version are anodized aluminum.  The only difference is the color of the dye they use in the anodization process.

If anyone can hear the difference based on the color of the dye, they must have extraordinary hearing.  Hopefully they weren't offended by my comments.  

PS: Thanks for updating your post with your experience swapping the batteries.  

Best regards,

Vinnie

[size=10pt]Vinnie, I agree when all internal parts and circuits remain the same there is no reason why sound should change. However are you sure all capacitive, conductor and other parts in gold version were kept the same make? Lets say what if some circuits for this version came from different manufacture? We all know Intel Chips are Intel Chips but different make means different quality Intel, same applies to graphic cards … make means quality difference IMHO.[/size]
[size=10pt]Of course there is no question if all inner parts were kept same quality and from the same manufacturers.[/size]

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #6,288 of 9,165
Omg that RWA AK100-s is EXACTLY the dap I have always longed for.
Do Red Wine Audio have any distribution in the UK?
Or do they ship to the UK?

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #6,290 of 9,165
Quote:
Hi Vinnie
Some person may extraordinary hearing like you said or their reference system is good enough to show the diff
Even it minor, I am still stand behind them and respect their hearing.

Please try it yourself or check with one of your big fan customer who recently sent his black ak100 for rwak100s but keep the gold ak100.

I think we should stop here since it is not related to you or my mod and you also do not hear it yourself yet. I just want to show them it is not battery matter so many people not ask for changing gold battery.

Phanom

I do not know if it has been considered that it has nothing to do with the color. Maybe one AK100 can sound slightly differently from another, just because of slight differences in manufacturing?

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #6,291 of 9,165
Ok, I see the new firmware is out that everyone was waiting on.  My AK100 is just barely a week old and still on 1.20 but I guess I'm ready to upgrade now.  Total noob question but I just want to make sure I can install the new 2.01 fw straight from 1.20 right?  Would seem silly to have to install them all in succession to get up to the latest but with all the talk of people having issues with the russian patch being loaded over the wrong firmware I thought I'd just ask.  Thanks

Jul 1, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #6,292 of 9,165
Quote:
I do not know if it has been considered that it has nothing to do with the color. Maybe one AK100 can sound slightly differently from another, just because of slight differences in manufacturing?

+1

I'm more inclined to believe in slight audio differences from batch to batch manufacturing.  And I doubt I have the ears to notice, but other "more tuned" Head-Fiers might...

Jul 1, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #6,293 of 9,165
I agree. I wouldn't root quality control out. It's very possible and I've actually heard this mentioned before regarding iRiver units.

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #6,296 of 9,165
I noticed the same thing.

I've been noticing that stock 2.01 is laggy.

Hi all

The same like me too .
That's the reason I download fw listrid 2.00
The SQ from fw listrid 2.00 is excellent
High : very detail and more extended than fw 2.01 to smooth
Mid : more weight / body and clear
Bass : much better bass impact and Bass detail and fast er speed as well
Separation : has better separation compare to fw 2.01
Soundstage : is wider and toller

I love my AK 100 with Listrid fw 2.00 more than before .
The best SQ what I can get from my AK 100

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #6,297 of 9,165
Quote:
Hi all

The same like me too .
That's the reason I download fw listrid 2.00
The SQ from fw listrid 2.00 is excellent
High : very detail and more extended than fw 2.01 to smooth
Mid : more weight / body and clear
Bass : much better bass impact and Bass detail and fast er speed as well
Separation : has better separation compare to fw 2.01
Soundstage : is wider and toller

I love my AK 100 with Listrid fw 2.00 more than before .
The best SQ what I can get from my AK 100

Yup. Currently downgrading to 1.33 to install Listrid.

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #6,298 of 9,165
I managed to install Listrid 2.0 from either 1.33 or 2.01, no problem from any of them. Don't think you have to downgrade to 1.33 to install Listrid.

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #6,299 of 9,165
Quote:
Yup. Currently downgrading to 1.33 to install Listrid.

why 1.33? you can put Listrid 2.0 directly over 2.01 or Beta 2.0 without a need of going back to 1.33.
only Listrid 1.0 patch required to have 1.33 FW but not Listrid 2.0 as far as I know.

what i would love to hear from owners of RWAK how they found different firmware because to me it seems Listrid 2.0 sounds differently on stock AK100 and RWAK. i can see why AK100 owners love Listrid 2.0 but ´trying this with my RWAK i prefer Beta 2.0. May be not as punchy or spacious soundings but more accurate and more natural sounding.

here nearly all people talking about goodness of Listrid 2.0 come with stock AK100, not moded.

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #6,300 of 9,165
Quote:

why 1.33? you can put Listrid 2.0 directly over 2.01 or Beta 2.0 without a need of going back to 1.33.
only Listrid 1.0 patch required to have 1.33 FW but not Listrid 2.0 as far as I know.

Really? The Korean site(Cafe@naver) said that I should downgrade to 1.33. I guess I don't. But it's too late! BTW, where can I download listrid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back