The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jul 1, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #6,301 of 9,165
Yup. Currently downgrading to 1.33 to install Listrid.

I have not downgrade to fw 1,33
I copy and paste directly to fw 2.01

The result are :

Fw 2.01 : Boost function now is no more

With Listrid 2.00 you become better function
HQ equaliser
Gapless is the same on fw 2.01 and Listrid fw 2.00

But the SQ with Listrik fw 2.00 is much better
You will love it like me :D

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #6,303 of 9,165
No offense to rudi and listrid supporters, but I prefer the stock 2.01 much more. Here are few reasons why:
1. Ability to turn on/off boost.
2. Ability to choose theme for homescreen.
3. Overall sound: While listrid definitely has much quicker bass, it lacks mid/treble smoothness, causing the sound to be mediocre. I also think that 2.01 has better sound stage.

Well, I guess I'm looking forward to next iRiver update with possible USB DAC feature(I really want this). But still, Kudos to the Russian programmer!

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #6,304 of 9,165
Quote:
No offense to rudi and listrid supporters, but I prefer the stock 2.01 much more. Here are few reasons why:
3. Overall sound: While listrid definitely has much quicker bass, it lacks mid/treble smoothness, causing the sound to be mediocre. I also think that 2.01 has better sound stage.

Well, I guess I'm looking forward to next iRiver update with possible USB DAC feature(I really want this). But still, Kudos to the Russian programmer!

+1
I´m absolutely with you...
Listrid was to much "in the face" for me.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #6,305 of 9,165
Quote:
+1
I´m absolutely with you...
Listrid was to much "in the face" for me.

I wonder why sound would change. I'm guessing it's because listrid uses AK120's firmware, tuned for AK120's hardware. With that being said, listrid will not have the flat sound sig that AK100 was intended to have. But this is all just my speculation.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #6,306 of 9,165
Quote:

[size=10pt]Vinnie, I agree when all internal parts and circuits remain the same there is no reason why sound should change. However are you sure all capacitive, conductor and other parts in gold version were kept the same make? Lets say what if some circuits for this version came from different manufacture? We all know Intel Chips are Intel Chips but different make means different quality Intel, same applies to graphic cards … make means quality difference IMHO.[/size]
[size=10pt]Of course there is no question if all inner parts were kept same quality and from the same manufacturers.[/size]

Hi Gintaras,

I agree - this makes a lot more sense to me than the difference in sound being the result of the color of the anodize or the battery.  If they did the gold AK100 in a separate production run, it is possible that the board house substituted a part with an equivalent one (same rating, different brand or composition, such as a capacitor).  If it is a part in the signal path, it could be easy enough
to hear.  This actually happens more often in board assembly houses that you'd think.  For most things it is ok, but for an audiophile device, it is best to keep every part identical.

Ok - we now return to your regularly scheduled program... 
cool.gif

Vinnie

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #6,307 of 9,165

It is ok kimvictor :D
Audio is the mater of taste and synergy with your set up

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #6,308 of 9,165
Quote:
It is ok kimvictor
biggrin.gif

Audio is the mater of taste and synergy with your set up

I get that. However, the bass really impressed me. Much faster and aggressive. I wonder why iRiver couldn't get that kind of bass on the stock firmware. I really want the bass from listrid and mid/treble from the stock. I guess there is no way yet.

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #6,309 of 9,165
Quote:
I get that. However, the bass really impressed me. Much faster and aggressive. I wonder why iRiver couldn't get that kind of bass on the stock firmware. I really want the bass from listrid and mid/treble from the stock. I guess there is no way yet.

just wait...

im actually hoping for the next FW that has the characteristics of both FW (Listrid's Bass and Mids & Official's Imaging and Staging that is similar to the AK120)

L3000.gif
 I would be soooo happy if such a FW is made.

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #6,311 of 9,165
Quote:

Hi Gintaras,

I agree - this makes a lot more sense to me than the difference in sound being the result of the color of the anodize or the battery.  If they did the gold AK100 in a separate production run, it is possible that the board house substituted a part with an equivalent one (same rating, different brand or composition, such as a capacitor).  If it is a part in the signal path, it could be easy enough
to hear.  This actually happens more often in board assembly houses that you'd think.  For most things it is ok, but for an audiophile device, it is best to keep every part identical.

Ok - we now return to your regularly scheduled program... 
cool.gif

Vinnie

Vinnie, thanks and thanks for RWAK mod, i enjoy this a lot
beerchug.gif

curious to hear others impressions from your AK100-S mod now, great job.

btw, IF Iriver considers its AK DAP high-end or elitist then why not allow RWA to make official mods to it? some high-end gear gets moded like older PS Audio III DAC Cullin Mod or ModWright Oppo BDP and there is no problem for the maker because people still pay the product and on top of this they pay for mod. so what's the problem for Iriver when Mod can only further popularise their product?

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #6,312 of 9,165
Vinnie I noticed your ad on your website for mod RWAK100S are those still available and as far as warranty how long are we talking about here? Meaning how many years do you warranty the modified unit?

Is there any worthwhile options for the mod or it is a standard option?

Thanks Vinnie in advance for the info.

Other than the addition of an amp, what type of upgraded cabling are we talking about here for say Silver based wires?

Jon

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #6,314 of 9,165
+1
Same sentiments...I love the sound staging of stock 2.01...listrid 2.0 is just too "in my face" as compared to stock... But I can't deny that I miss listrid's bass... Deep and impactful..

+1
Listrid FW i love for stable operation and for bringing effortless dynamic... this indeed helps tighten bass and boost lower mids, but unfortunately that comes at expense of black space and bit more digital artifacts, i clearly can hear bit congestion around musical contour, some transients suffer less velvet smoothness while mid bass punch comes at expense of timing which reveals too busy background and decrease decay and full note reverb.

sorry if i happen to be in sceptic camp on this. actually such changes are about subtleys and harmony. i call it digitis signature impact.

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #6,315 of 9,165
Gotta say I'm with Rudi on this. On my MS-AK100/TWAG Gold 8/TG!334 setup there is no lack of juicy mids nor treble problems, and the bass hits home running Listrid 2.0. It is portable endgame for me for quite a while, both my ears, wallet and wife tells me so.... 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back