The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jun 30, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #6,256 of 9,165
Quote:
The cheapest one I got is from Fujiya Tokyo headphone festival 400 usd only
Next event is 15 Jul if you need one.

awww everything good always happens in Japan ;(
.... anyone willing to help me buy and ship to me?

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #6,258 of 9,165
Quote:

Yes... I have given a free mod to several people whom I consider serious audio professionals and they all confirm it is the best thing they have ever heard. Satisfied? 

ROLF.... sorry i tried but could not resist... Crafty pls can you check AK100 rear insertion position and report back to us if any improvement occurs? what about smoothners and isolation?  
tongue.gif
 LMAO

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #6,259 of 9,165
I got mine under USD500 from Japan amazon... local distributor was selling it well over USD600!

The cheapest one I got is from Fujiya Tokyo headphone festival 400 usd only
Next event is 15 Jul if you need one.
hmm, i will be at the fujiya show. I might pick one up if they are cheap. But only if i could get it modded on the same day. Does the ms-ak100 mod equal the ak120 in sound quality in your opinion?
Tempted, but not fully sold as i continue to drink apples kool aid.
:)

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #6,260 of 9,165
Quote:
hmm, i will be at the fujiya show. I might pick one up if they are cheap. But only if i could get it modded on the same day. Does the ms-ak100 mod equal the ak120 in sound quality in your opinion?
smily_headphones1.gif

Any chance of helping me get 1 extra while you're there if its cheap too? =)

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #6,261 of 9,165
Quote:

ROLF.... sorry i tried but could not resist... Crafty pls can you check AK100 rear insertion position and report back to us if any improvement occurs? what about smoothners and isolation?  
tongue.gif
 LMAO

I did try this and yes you are correct, it did result in improved isolation, however smoothness was not apparent. I would go as far as saying it verged on uncomfortable and fatiguing after long periods.

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #6,262 of 9,165
Quote:

I did try this and yes you are correct, it did result in improved isolation, however smoothness was not apparent. I would go as far as saying it verged on uncomfortable and fatiguing after long periods.

LMAO ROFL .....

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #6,263 of 9,165
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

i have heard the ak100 MS mod and the AK120 and.. prices aside, AK120 sounds better; soundstage, imaging, depth, width. seperation between instruments.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #6,265 of 9,165
Quote:
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

i have heard the ak100 MS mod and the AK120 and.. prices aside, AK120 sounds better; soundstage, imaging, depth, width. seperation between instruments.+=

+1

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #6,266 of 9,165
Quote:
Hi guys, I have made a very interesting discovery...

If I lick the left side of my device with the tip of my tongue, there appears to be a subtle but definite improvement to SQ. The bass seems fuller, with a little more texture and the mids are slightly more forward. In addition to this, if I place the unit in my underpants (approx 3/4s of the way down and roughly 6mm from my right leg) There is an obvious improvement to both the soundstage and 3d imaging. Listening to music sounds like I'm being slapped in the face with a large wet fish. Truly exhilarating! 

These mods open up the full potential of the AK100 and set it several stages above any other dap currently on the market!

If anyone is interested I will be setting up a service to mod other users devices in the same manner. There will be a minimal fee of £299.99 + a crate of bananas for the service*

* I will not be held responsible, if all you get in return is empty banana skins

Feel free to PM me if you are interested in the 'Wet Fish stage 1 mod'

Is this mod ALL cryo treated?

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #6,267 of 9,165
For the wet fish mod, perhaps you can add a vibration mod for the rear insertion.  I imagine that that will open up the soundstage even more.

To get things a little serious, I wonder how much some of these mods end up being just confirmation bias.   Also whether there is much detectable difference between the different FWs when it comes to SQ.  For instance, a lot of people say that they prefer the bigger sound of listrid 2.   However, i wonder if that just means that they like what they hear when they turn it up to a higher volume.  For instance, if L2 is actually louder, someone playing music with L2 at 55, they would be getting a bigger sound from it than playing at 55 with stock FW.  L2 would sound bigger but from just having louder volume, but same SQ.  We would really have to compare the music at actually the same volume with both to make an actual determination of differences in SQ.   Could be a little difficult to do.

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #6,268 of 9,165
Quote:
How the hell did I get 9 posts? Anyways, what I meant to say was that yes, not everything goes around US and I respect gramophone for his thoughts. I didn't buy my AK100 new at the store, but from a seller who happened to receive them as a gift and didn't want it. The deal I posted is strictly limited to Korea.

This is exactly what I mean. Now we find out that the unit was used and bought from a second hand owner. Now, in most countries, second hand means no warranty but this unit was not even second hand, it is third hand. So the unit was purchased by someone, given to another person as a gift (supposedly) and then sold to a third person. But kimvictor in his posts implied that he bought a new unit for $450USD (which would come with a warranty) but this is not the case. So if people are going to brag about the low price they paid, it is important to have full details. I do not see how knowing about this purchase would help someone else on the forum obtain one at the same price. Plus when a unit is purchased in Japan, how can it have any warranty in the US or Canada if sold to someone in these countries?
Thanks for reading.
Gramophone

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #6,269 of 9,165
i see the golden ear gang is nowhere to be found...LOL

perhaps they'r busy A/B/C/D/E/F wave/flac/aiff vs 32/64/128 vs SSD/SD/SDHC/SDXC vs dawn/daytime/dusk/nightime vs empty bladder/empty colon; empty bladder/full colon...etc...

whew...a lot of permutations there...the things people do for that last 0.0001% of SQ...

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #6,270 of 9,165
i see the golden ear gang is nowhere to be found...LOL

perhaps they'r busy A/B/C/D/E/F wave/flac/aiff vs 32/64/128 vs SSD/SD/SDHC/SDXC vs dawn/daytime/dusk/nightime vs empty bladder/empty colon; empty bladder/full colon...etc...

whew...a lot of permutations there...the things people do for that last 0.0001% of SQ...

i do not know what or who you call "golden ear gang" but the proof of pudding is in eating it speaking of which i enjoy magical music listening and Michael Bolton almost whispering in my ear while i am typing on iPad in order not to interrupt pleasure :-D

meanwhile i hope you will find this reading interesting for yourself http://www.autopenhosting.org/futuresoptions/Jim-Rogers-jokes.html

hope you can see the point. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back