The Fiio X5 Thread
Sep 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #1,111 of 19,652
Ok James, I saw you are trying to make X3 to have USB Audio Output.

Can X5 have the same feature? It will solve pretty much all of our questions. We don't ask it to be done directly with the launch, as with X3, it can come later on with firmware updates or whatever. I just want to know, like X3, will X5 ever be able to do this job?

Looking forward to hear your answer since it is quite important for me and for more users in here.

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #1,112 of 19,652
Is the feature list at the beginning of the thread current (as far as is currently known)?

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #1,113 of 19,652
Or because you want the X5 to be unnecessarily slim?

I'm sorry but who gave you the right to decide what is necessary and what is not? I'm waiting for X5 because I want a small DAP with 2 slots (128 GB memory), decent SQ and convinient UI and I don't give a damn about all the features you are talking about. But I understand that if they are implemented, I'll receive my DAP in 2020.

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #1,114 of 19,652
I'm sorry but who gave you the right to decide what is necessary and what is not? I'm waiting for X5 because I want a small DAP with 2 slots (128 GB memory), decent SQ and convinient UI and I don't give a damn about all the features you are talking about. But I understand that if they are implemented, I'll receive my DAP in 2020.

well... the original design direction and power output were given by James/Fiio themselves so I don't see why Mython or anyone questioning their decision to backtrack from what was considered and well received by the community here is overboard.

fwiw if we don't "give a damn" about many of these features then an IPC or any sansa do just fine.... the "decent" SQ alone that you mention would be a result of good dac and amp section along with proper battery/power supply. So... em sorry... you seems DO care about these too.

btw, AK100 seems to suit you just find and you won't need to wait even a day :)

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #1,115 of 19,652
Quote:

I'm sorry some of you object to me calling Fiio out for moving the goalposts, but, if you read back a couple of pages, it will be apparent that I am not the only one who objects.

I'm not going to argue any further, out of respect for the board. I've said my piece and now I'll hold my peace.

Well, you do have a point, and obviously you invested a lot, emotionally and intellectually, in helping shape the X5, so your frustration is understandable.
We might have different needs and priorities but I do respect your position.
That said, if FiiO has to cut corners sometimes and doesn't achieve everything they set out to achieve, I can understand that too.

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,116 of 19,652

well... the original design direction and power output were given by James/Fiio themselves so I don't see why Mython or anyone questioning their decision to backtrack from what was considered and well received by the community here is overboard.

fwiw if we don't "give a damn" about many of these features then an IPC or any sansa do just fine.... the "decent" SQ alone that you mention would be a result of good dac and amp section along with proper battery/power supply. So... em sorry... you seems DO care about these too.

btw, AK100 seems to suit you just find and you won't need to wait even a day :)

Sansa does just fine. X5 will do the best.
AK100 has a high impendance, I don't think it would sound nicely with er4-s
But still, it was a first try to fill this section of the market of my dreams - "portable device with decent SQ" so I respect iriver, they became pioneers. After that AK120, X3 and DX50 were released and now we have a choice. I've chosen to wait some more and I'm glad that everything goes according to the schedule despite some guys who want a DAP to be washing machine-like.

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #1,117 of 19,652
All this power talk. I think X3 is powerful enough for most cans people consider to be portable. The only exception would be planars like the Mad Dog or the new Audez'e. There are lots of efficient closed cans out there as a choice.

Also even if the X3 was 1.5X times more powerful it would still be weaker than the E12.
Like James said, people would still get the E12 or more powerful amps like the PB2/RSA71B just because they want that power.
In the end I think the sound quality is more important. I do want the option for swappable batteries like the DX50 though. That would be cool.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #1,118 of 19,652
I think for the vast majority of IEMs and all but a precious few CIEMs the level of amp power will be more than adequate.

When I think of a portable player my mind adds some emphasis to the portable descriptor.  I don't want it to be too big/heavy.  I don't want it to have poor battery life.  I don't want to use it with full sized headphones.  Head-Fi itself divides categories into portable and full sized; the X5 needs to fit into the latter.  There's a fine balance between sound quality and portability and it sounds like Fiio are carefully walking that tightrope.

One of the reasons I ordered a DX50 is the 14 hour battery life.  I'm not going to consider any future DAP purchases with less than 12.

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #1,119 of 19,652
Good news to me and to Hoichi and to others. Mr Goodman from Centrance said in the near future they make a Hifi M8 edition with coaxial input option.

I am getting X5. Whenever I want to go light, it will be a wonderful all in one device. Whenever I want to add extra taste to my music or be able to drive full sized power hungry can (and a carry a small bag) I will pair it with M8.

I will also use that M8 with my computer too. All in one device. Good with everything, from iems to ortho's.

James, release the X5 in Europe and you will have a customer from the first day (hoping that I will save enough money by then
happy_face1.gif
)

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #1,120 of 19,652
  Good news to me and to Hoichi and to others. Mr Goodman from Centrance said in the near future they make a Hifi M8 edition with coaxial input option.

I am getting X5. Whenever I want to go light, it will be a wonderful all in one device. Whenever I want to add extra taste to my music or be able to drive full sized power hungry can (and a carry a small bag) I will pair it with M8.

I will also use that M8 with my computer too. All in one device. Good with everything, from iems to ortho's.

James, release the X5 in Europe and you will have a customer from the first day (hoping that I will save enough money by then
happy_face1.gif
)

I am considering this same path regarding x5 and M8.
I currently do most of my listening @ work and carting my AudioGD 15,32 is getting annoying.
If I could have something portable that can pack enough punch fantastic.
Then I just need the x5 for portable.

Scott

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #1,121 of 19,652

I am considering this same path regarding x5 and M8.
I currently do most of my listening @ work and carting my AudioGD 15,32 is getting annoying.
If I could have something portable that can pack enough punch fantastic.
Then I just need the x5 for portable.

Scott

Well I am getting X5 that's for sure. Second part of the gear is up to Centrance. I know they are extremely busy with M8 and M8 LX, so Mr Goodman replied to me saying that there will be a product like that, but he didn't mention a time limit. So somewhere in future. If you have time and things are not urgent, I really think it is worth to wait.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #1,123 of 19,652
  Hi there! New Subscriber here.
Just wondering if there is a chance of seeing the X5 before Christmas?

sorry not, but here is a initial GUI design. ( not the final ), 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 11, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #1,124 of 19,652

Very nice!! So happy see big steps up from aesthetics to finishing to UI to sound from all makers. Exciting times for DAPs users!!!!

Hope this hit by CNY if not Christmas and can pick up a couple my myself and friends/family if price is right! :D

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #1,125 of 19,652

Any chance of seeing the pic or a Photoshop rendering of the X5 design? Even if its still the initial/not final stage, it'll be nice to have a sneak preview :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back