The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 2, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #19,112 of 19,652
Not that I can see. Thanks anyways! I have an email out to Fiio support so hopefully they get back to me. 

Good luck. I know it must be frustrating.

:beerchug:

Apr 2, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #19,113 of 19,652
  It looks like the Arrow series is a step up.  Is there other places to buy this other than headstage.

I picked mine up in the for sale section on HF. Robert is working on new (gen 6) models => I think in some time some old (gen 5) models will pop-up
rolleyes.gif

My gen 1 X5 will no longer show up on my computer as a storage device when I plug it in. I've tried multiple cords and multiple computers and no joy with anything. It will charge when I plug it in, but it doesn't register as a device and I therefore can't drag and drop files to it or anything. 

I've tried searching for other people who might have this issue but I haven't found any solutions. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Have you checked already under ''System Settings'' that your ''USB Mode'' is on ''Storage'' instead of ''DAC''?

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #19,114 of 19,652
It's the same cord that shipped with the device and that I've always used to connect to drag/drop files.

I popped both micro SD cards out of the X5 and my computers read them both fine. It's just when they're inside the X5 that I can't access them when I connect it.

Is it possible the X5 is currently set to operate as DAC instead of storage device?

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #19,115 of 19,652
Is it possible the X5 is currently set to operate as DAC instead of storage device?

This was exactly what I ment with the above ''Have you checked already under ''System Settings'' that your ''USB Mode'' is on ''Storage'' instead of ''DAC''? => maybe I wrote it down in a confusing way
biggrin.gif

Anyhow, it would explain why his computer doesn't see the X5, whatever cable he uses...

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #19,116 of 19,652
This was exactly what I ment with the above ''Have you checked already under ''System Settings'' that your ''USB Mode'' is on ''Storage'' instead of ''DAC''? => maybe I wrote it down in a confusing way :D

Anyhow, it would explain why his computer doesn't see the X5, whatever cable he uses...

I'm just trying to take credit for your ideas. :D

Kidding. I hit reply on the previous page, and hadn't seen your post yet. I agree with ya. Seems like it could be a quick and easy fix. Hope so.

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #19,118 of 19,652
I'm just trying to take credit for your ideas.
biggrin.gif

I'm on the phone with my lawyer right now
wink.gif

Yeah, it's definitely in storage mode. I've flicked it back and forth trying to get it to connect and it doesn't do anything. 

Well, I hope FiiO gets back to you soon with a solution (if they do, please let us know what the problem was)
beerchug.gif

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #19,121 of 19,652
Oh dear...I pulled one of the rubber plugs (you know, the ones you get with the X5 to protect the sockets you aren't using) out of the line out hole, and it left its little metal pin in the socket.

I tried to get it out with some tweezers, but it's well and truly stuck in there. Can't use that glorious line out anymore...

Anyone know someone who knows how to get into the X5 and fix this kind of thing?

An update...Joe and James pointed me to TekFX. TekFX took great care of me. I mailed the unit in to them, and they sent me back and replacement unit under the extended warranty program.

Chalk another one up for FiiO's kickarse service and customer-centric business model.

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #19,122 of 19,652
Anybody know how the Fiio X5ii and the Pioneer HDJ 2000 MK2 would sound? I've heard the HDJ 2000 are some of the best sounding headphones of recent times because the bass isn't as emphasized as regular DJ headphones.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #19,123 of 19,652
Anybody know how the Fiio X5ii and the Pioneer HDJ 2000 MK2 would sound? I've heard the HDJ 2000 are some of the best sounding headphones of recent times because the bass isn't as emphasized as regular DJ headphones.

I have the Fiio X5-1, HDJ-500, HDJ-1000, HDJ-2000 and (had) HDJ-2000 mk2 (returned it yesterday, to me HDJ-2000 sounds a little clearer). I compared all of them using Fiio X5 and have to say that it (HDJ-2000/2000 mk2 + Fiio X5) sounds pretty good (no EQ). About bass - you´re right - it is not as emphasized as other regular DJ headphones  (Less bass than HDJ-1000), however it is very bassy headphone (compared even to Fidelio X1). I personally do not like how the X5 sounds with my other headphones but with bass-heavy headphones it sounds pretty good. HDJ-2000 is a good match for X5 and it sounds better than HDJ-2000 mk2 (a little more open, less congested, a little more clarity. just my opinion), HDJ-500 and HDJ-1000 (btw I prefer 1000´s mids - more forward). On another note, my personal favorite for X5 are Denon AH-D600 (much more refined,big soundstage for closed headphone, much better quality bass, much better mids and treble extension) and if  X5 is the only option, I would choose Denons over Senns HD-700 almost any time. HDJ-2000/mk2 are very comfortable at the beginning but then you´ll notice that cups are too shallow and the driver may come in very unpleasant contact with your ears (for me it was the case, I had to put some foam under the pads to get the 2000´s comfortable).
I´m not saying that HDJ-2000´s are bad because they are not (still using them after 5 years). They are very portable, low profile (yo do not look nearly as "funny" as when wearing Denon´s), durable, look stylish, and sound good (less boomy bass than rest of HDJ line and more refined).

Just my opinion (I don´t have X5II but heard it sounds very similar to X5-1).

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #19,124 of 19,652
  I have the Fiio X5-1, HDJ-500, HDJ-1000, HDJ-2000 and (had) HDJ-2000 mk2 (returned it yesterday, to me HDJ-2000 sounds a little clearer). I compared all of them using Fiio X5 and have to say that it (HDJ-2000/2000 mk2 + Fiio X5) sounds pretty good (no EQ). About bass - you´re right - it is not as emphasized as other regular DJ headphones  (Less bass than HDJ-1000), however it is very bassy headphone (compared even to Fidelio X1). I personally do not like how the X5 sounds with my other headphones but with bass-heavy headphones it sounds pretty good. HDJ-2000 is a good match for X5 and it sounds better than HDJ-2000 mk2 (a little more open, less congested, a little more clarity. just my opinion), HDJ-500 and HDJ-1000 (btw I prefer 1000´s mids - more forward). On another note, my personal favorite for X5 are Denon AH-D600 (much more refined,big soundstage for closed headphone, much better quality bass, much better mids and treble extension) and if  X5 is the only option, I would choose Denons over Senns HD-700 almost any time. HDJ-2000/mk2 are very comfortable at the beginning but then you´ll notice that cups are too shallow and the driver may come in very unpleasant contact with your ears (for me it was the case, I had to put some foam under the pads to get the 2000´s comfortable).
I´m not saying that HDJ-2000´s are bad because they are not (still using them after 5 years). They are very portable, low profile (yo do not look nearly as "funny" as when wearing Denon´s), durable, look stylish, and sound good (less boomy bass than rest of HDJ line and more refined).

Just my opinion (I don´t have X5II but heard it sounds very similar to X5-1).

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I'm extremely tempted to purchase the Fiio X5 and the Pioneer HDJ 2000. I'm currently using the Asus Xonar Essence STX II with a pair of Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2. I do like this combination but sometimes i find myself wanting a clear distortion free headphone with less of the low end to make my less hard hitting FLAC collection shine. I see you mentioned that they're more bass orientated than the Fidelio X1/X2 line. I have heard both of the them Fidelio headphones and loved the sound reproduction. I'm thinking maybe the HDJ 2000 might just hit the spot with having some bass but not totally dominating the rest of the spectrum. Is the HDJ 2000/MK2 bass controlled well? I understand what you mean with the drivers being close to your ears. I'm having that problem with these Audio Technica's, that can get annoying at times but i wouldn't say it would put me off them. Thanks once again for your reply, i appreciate it.

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #19,125 of 19,652
  Hi there, thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I'm extremely tempted to purchase the Fiio X5 and the Pioneer HDJ 2000. I'm currently using the Asus Xonar Essence STX II with a pair of Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2. I do like this combination but sometimes i find myself wanting a clear distortion free headphone with less of the low end to make my less hard hitting FLAC collection shine. I see you mentioned that they're more bass orientated than the Fidelio X1/X2 line. I have heard both of the them Fidelio headphones and loved the sound reproduction. I'm thinking maybe the HDJ 2000 might just hit the spot with having some bass but not totally dominating the rest of the spectrum. Is the HDJ 2000/MK2 bass controlled well? I understand what you mean with the drivers being close to your ears. I'm having that problem with these Audio Technica's, that can get annoying at times but i wouldn't say it would put me off them. Thanks once again for your reply, i appreciate it.

Hi! I think I know what do you mean by "clear distortion free headphone" - and yes DHJ-2000 mk2 are good - you can max out the volume on X5 and use Pioneers as small but surprisingly loud speakers that will not distort (do not put them on...very painful experience). X5 has lots of power and HDJ-2000/mk2 will not distort. Between Fidelio X1 and HDJ-2000/mk2 I would choose Fidelios X1 if sound quality and comfort is the most important, bass quality (in my opinion) is better on the FIdelio X1. HDJ-2000/mk2´s bass is something that I would call "2-note bass (lots of mid bass..no sub-bass!!??)". Now, the bass on hdj-2000/mk2 do partially dominate the spectrum BUT not nearly as much as other headphones in HDJ line, the biggest problem (for me) is that mids are even more recessed than Fidelio X1´s and soundstage is almost non existent.  
However, what matters is what you need them for. Will you use X5 as DAP or as DAC (decent DAC btw) most of the time? For long music sessions on the go, Fiio X5 + HDJ-2000/mk2 is a very good combination (if you are comfortable with cups depth and with pleather making your ears to sweat a lot), but for use at home they´re not the best choice in the price range. Sound-wise I consider HDJ-2000 mk2 to be a little step down from the original HDJ-2000. If you value clarity, soundstage and vocals, HJD-2000/mk2 are not good at it (Sennheiser Momentums sound more refined, much better vocals and with less bass and overall I consider them as an upgrade to Pioneers and they sound more transparent than Fidelio X1), but if portability is more important then I recommend them a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back