The Fiio X5 Thread
Sep 11, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #18,347 of 19,652
No ReplayGain for Fiio DAPs yet :frowning2:

Too bad. Fiio obviously knows hardware. But the lack of ReplayGain just shows they don't really understand firmware/software for DAPs well enough yet. :frowning2:

Note that my iBasso is not any better. But at least I can run rockbox on my DX50 to get it.

Sep 11, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #18,348 of 19,652
Too bad. Fiio obviously knows hardware. But the lack of ReplayGain just shows they don't really understand firmware/software for DAPs well enough yet. :frowning2:

Note that my iBasso is not any better. But at least I can run rockbox on my DX50 to get it.

My AK120II doesn't have it, either.

Replay Gain is one of those nice features that is impractical. Even when it's present, it doesn't work as advertised.

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #18,349 of 19,652
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
Too bad. Fiio obviously knows hardware. But the lack of ReplayGain just shows they don't really understand firmware/software for DAPs well enough yet.
frown.gif

I guess they have their strengths and their weaknesses ...

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #18,350 of 19,652
Replay Gain is one of those nice features that is impractical. Even when it's present, it doesn't work as advertised.

Not sure what you mean? :confused: It does exactly what it's supposed to do if properly implemented: adjust the volume during playback by the amount specified in the metadata in the ReplayGain tag.

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #18,351 of 19,652

I was thinking Cayin, though I haven't heard either one. The Cayin does seem to be a favorite around here. If I did begin stacking, that's where I would start. The way it's been described is quite enticing.

Yes, Cayin C5 sounds great and is very powerful - makes it a bit challenging to use with IEM.

Just curious, what iems didn't work out (knowing that you had and sold it) for you with the Cayin C5?
And what was the problem (even on low volume?) with those iems in your opinion?

Although I always have the C5 on low gain, imo it works perfect (volume mainly between 2 and 3) with all iems I've listened to from my X5(classic)/C5 stack. Of course you don't need the C5 for power with iems, but I love(!) it's soundsignature and increased soundstage
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #18,352 of 19,652
Hey Kerouac. Cayin's Low Gain is crazy powerful. IEMs work well between 2-3 on the volume dial. I just wanted a bit more play on the volume dial so I could easily fine-tune the volume and wouldn't have to worry about nudging it up too high and blasting my ears out. I know others are perfectly fine with it.

I ran into a similar situation with the new VE Runabout amp. Used it with X5 and found I could only use a very narrow range on the volume knob, making it hard to fine tune the volume. And the RA's volume dial isn't protected like the C5's, so I did get a few accidental nudges which cranked the volume too high.

I'm the end, my solution for this type of amp is to use them with my DX90, which has a variable LO. Set the LO to 225/255 and volume control is much more manageable!

At the time I owned the C5, I was probably using my Altone200. Incidentally, Cayin said the C5DAC would have a Low Gain more geared towards IEMs. I jumped on the tour to see if it was really any different in practice. Nope, 2-3 was still the usable range with IEM.

Sep 14, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #18,354 of 19,652
Can anyone confirm/deny whether or not the X5 ever got ReplayGain implementation? The 1st gen X5s are such a good deal right now, but I'm not buying a DAP that doesn't have that capability.

(And no. I don't want to normalize my files before loading them on the X5--LOL)

Probably never. They're displaying an unfortunate propensity for never finishing firmware before they get distracted by the newest bright, shiny object.

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #18,355 of 19,652
Probably never. They're displaying an unfortunate propensity for never finishing firmware before they get distracted by the newest bright, shiny object.

At what point did they advertise replay gain to the public? The X5 does what they advertise it to do. I don't see unfinished firmware.

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #18,356 of 19,652
At what point did they advertise replay gain to the public? The X5 does what they advertise it to do. I don't see unfinished firmware.

Even though i agree with you on the replay gain, i disagree that there is no unfinished firmware.

Basic functionality, such as playing tracks in order, doesn't work unless you change your filenames.

OTG support is minimal

And album art is still cropped the wrong way around.

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #18,357 of 19,652
Even though i agree with you on the replay gain, i disagree that there is no unfinished firmware.

Basic functionality, such as playing tracks in order, doesn't work unless you change your filenames.

OTG support is minimal

And album art is still cropped the wrong way around.

Ok, the track order is annoying. I went on and on way back about how they nailed it fw2.02b (it played tracks in order for each album in the 'All Songs by Artist' category, not mixed tracks all listed as 01, 02, etc.), then they regressed. They could probably improve it, you got me there. :xf_eek:

They've said from the beginning it's too difficult for them to ensure compatibility with every OTG device out there. Could the support be better? Sure. Is it unfinished OTG? I'm not sure about that. OTG compatibility is usually sketchy. :rolleyes:

The album art crop is so minor and kind of nit picking IMO. FiiO isn't the only one to mess up the album art cropping. :wink_face:

In my opinion it's pretty functional and complete for its main purpose, then again perhaps I'm not demanding enough of my DAP besides the SQ. Not trying to argue here, just sharing my perspective on what I consider complete firmware. Btw, great to have you back in the forum.

:beerchug:

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #18,359 of 19,652
I *think* lack of consistent OTG support is actually a hardware problem - not firmware-related.
Not sure, I bought a mini OTG adapter that worked flawlessly to begin with, then stopped, thought it was faulty, put it to one side, tried it recently on my cell, and it works flawlessly, still doesn't work on the X5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back