The Fiio X5 Thread
May 31, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #17,626 of 19,652
Hi,

Im new here so be nice:) I currently have an iPod Classic with Fiio Alpen2 amp. Looking at replacing with one unit, the X5. Couple of questions if i may?

1.) Is there a 2nd version coming out soon that we know of? Im not one to wait but obviously if its in next 3 weeks id wait.

2.) As a long time iTunes user syncing playlists, how does one transfer audio to the X5? Videos im seeing are people manually dragging folders. Not sure if im overly keen on that.

3.) If I get the X5 I can see ill be reripping lots of my audio into FLAC. For ultimate compatibility im sure ill keep my 320 AAC/MP3 collection which is about 80GB in size. Are there any tips for maintaining multiple collections? Which feeds into how people sync to the X5. Maintaining a collection means I can keep using iTunes and then copy to X5 in some other form. Or is there another piece of software people like using instead of iTunes?

Thanks

May 31, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #17,627 of 19,652
Hi,

Im new here so be nice:) I currently have an iPod Classic with Fiio Alpen2 amp. Looking at replacing with one unit, the X5. Couple of questions if i may?

1.) Is there a 2nd version coming out soon that we know of? Im not one to wait but obviously if its in next 3 weeks I'd wait.

2.) As a long time iTunes user syncing playlists, how does one transfer audio to the X5? Videos im seeing are people manually dragging folders. Not sure if im overly keen on that.

3.) If I get the X5 I can see ill be reripping lots of my audio into FLAC. For ultimate compatibility im sure ill keep my 320 AAC/MP3 collection which is about 80GB in size. Are there any tips for maintaining multiple collections? Which feeds into how people sync to the X5. Maintaining a collection means I can keep using iTunes and then copy to X5 in some other form. Or is there another piece of software people like using instead of iTunes?

Thanks

1). Yes, and it's right around the corner. June 15th worldwide release. I'd wait for sure as the improvements are reported to be great.

X5 ii Thread LINK

2). What I did when I first got the X5 was create an Artist folder and in that an Album folder and literally dragged the songs for each album from iTunes in to the Album Folder on the card. Couldn't be any easier than that. Make sure you FORMAT THE CARD WITH THE X5(ii) FORMAT TOOL IN THE SETTINGS MENU FIRST!!

3). The X5(ii) plays ALAC very well and you'll have full compatibility with iTunes and your iPod Classic using this lossless format. No audio difference between ALAC, FLAC, WAV, and AIFF. You can easily re-rip your files to ALAC in iTunes. Also, AAC 256 (iTunes+ format) plays well on the X5(ii) so if you can't hear the difference between 256 AAC and lossless ALAC you'll be saving yourself a bunch of space on your mSD card.

May 31, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #17,628 of 19,652
Ah thats some seriously good advice thanks. I will defo hold off for a couple of weeks.

ALAC is a good option I guess as well as FLAC. Maintaining compatibility is mighty difficult these days. All of my collection (bar bootlegs) is 320 but im noticing some songs have been badly ripped somehow. Could be iTunes or my cd player i guess. So reripping to ALAC or FLAC isnt a massive deal for me. I do love the idea of a proper backup also lossless.

I make good use of playlists, which is somethign I might have to work around

May 31, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #17,629 of 19,652
Ah thats some seriously good advice thanks. I will defo hold off for a couple of weeks.

ALAC is a good option I guess as well as FLAC. Maintaining compatibility is mighty difficult these days. All of my collection (bar bootlegs) is 320 but im noticing some songs have been badly ripped somehow. Could be iTunes or my cd player i guess. So reripping to ALAC or FLAC isnt a massive deal for me. I do love the idea of a proper backup also lossless.

I make good use of playlists, which is somethign I might have to work around

Playlists can be exported from iTunes and used on the X5. Search the forums for the info. Also, if using Mac, there's an app called Dapper. It should help with iTunes playlist exports. I'll admit it isn't super straight forward, but if you follow the directions it works.

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #17,630 of 19,652
It's almost a pity my X5 is still working flawlessly. I can't justify buying the X5ii 
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #17,631 of 19,652
  It's almost a pity my X5 is still working flawlessly. I can't justify buying the X5ii 
biggrin.gif

My X5 also works flawlessly, well except for the wheel occasionally, and I personally have no problem justifying the purchase of an X5ii.

There are enough significant upgrades to easily justify purchasing the X5ii. The only thing I worry about is the market for used first generation X5's may be severely diminished.

The only thing is, I am waiting for the X7, but if the X7 wasn't on the horizon I would definitely be replacing my X5 with an X5ii.

Jun 1, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #17,632 of 19,652
Jun 1, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #17,634 of 19,652
Does anyone have any recommendations for how to managed FLAC files for multi-disc albums? I *really* want to avoid separating disks by folder. I tried using different file naming methods,such as:

1-1 filename.flac
1-2 filename.flac
2-1 filename.flac

or

101 filename.flac
102 filename.flac
201 filename.flac

I've tried playing files both by library tag (there's still an issue with the X5 not reading the disc field, right?) and by file browser and in both cases it plays the files by track number in sequence:

1-1 filename.flac
2-1 filename.flac
1-2 filename.flac

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #17,636 of 19,652
  Does anyone have any recommendations for how to managed FLAC files for multi-disc albums? I *really* want to avoid separating disks by folder. I tried using different file naming methods,such as:

1-1 filename.flac
1-2 filename.flac
2-1 filename.flac

or

101 filename.flac
102 filename.flac
201 filename.flac

I've tried playing files both by library tag (there's still an issue with the X5 not reading the disc field, right?) and by file browser and in both cases it plays the files by track number in sequence:

1-1 filename.flac
2-1 filename.flac
1-2 filename.flac

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

What's the problem with separate folders? The X5 can be set to play through folders, so you can choose to listen to one disc or the whole multi-album.

It completely ignores the discnumber tag, so if you really want to avoid separate folders, the 101, 201 approach will work well (both tag and filename) so you can play by folder or use the library.

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #17,637 of 19,652

What's the problem with separate folders? The X5 can be set to play through folders, so you can choose to listen to one disc or the whole multi-album.

It completely ignores the discnumber tag, so if you really want to avoid separate folders, the 101, 201 approach will work well (both tag and filename) so you can play by folder or use the library.

There are a few issues I've run into with pathnames being too long that keeps me from wanting to add additional layers of folders. Also, I just don't like browsing through my collections that way *shrug*.

I renumbered all my tracks using the 101, 201 approach thinking that would actually work...but it didn't and I don't understand why not. I reformatted my storage cards and reloaded them from MediaMonkey...

Ok, MediaMonkey is not carrying the 101 filename format over to the X5. That's the problem. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Jun 1, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #17,639 of 19,652
Do you all think that the X5 gen 1 will drop in price before the X5ii arrives? I've got a first world problem: Do I rotate 64gb cards out of my X3ii (Total investment $220); purchase a 128gb for my X3ii (Total investment $300, including the two 64gb cards and 128gb card) or hope the X5 drops in price before the X5ii comes out and use my two 64gb cards ($50 + cost of the X5)? I'm only using it with iems at this point (SE535, ER4S, IE80). Any advice is appreciated! 
(128gb is enough music for me...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back