The Fiio X5 Thread
May 30, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #17,611 of 19,652
Today my X5 has gone a bit kaput. First I noticed that my OTG storage stopped working, and then I realised that when I tried to connect it to my PC, the PC didn't recognise the X5 either. The PC charges it but doesn't recognise it as a drive. It's definitely in the correct USB mode, I tried to reinstall the firmware (and tried an old firmware too) and used the reset button,  but nothing has helped.

Anyone got any ideas?

May 30, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #17,612 of 19,652
Today my X5 has gone a bit kaput. First I noticed that my OTG storage stopped working, and then I realised that when I tried to connect it to my PC, the PC didn't recognise the X5 either. The PC charges it but doesn't recognise it as a drive. It's definitely in the correct USB mode, I tried to reinstall the firmware (and tried an old firmware too) and used the reset button,  but nothing has helped.

Anyone got any ideas?

Built in self destruct forcing you to buy the X5 II. :tongue_smile:

Just kidding. Sorry to hear. Have you tried a software factory reset?

May 30, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #17,613 of 19,652

Anyone got any ideas?

Does the X5 need PC drivers? I wouldn't know because I only use mine as a portable - if it does, have you tried updating them?

May 30, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #17,615 of 19,652
Yes i did the reset with the pin on the top of the x5, i reset to factory defaults on the setup menu. It has been working great for 6 months or so, so i dont think it's missing anything, its just something to do with the usb connection which has gone wrong.cant tell ifits a hardware or software issue.

May 30, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #17,616 of 19,652
Yes i did the reset with the pin on the top of the x5, i reset to factory defaults on the setup menu. It has been working great for 6 months or so, so i dont think it's missing anything, its just something to do with the usb connection which has gone wrong.cant tell ifits a hardware or software issue.

What do you remember doing differently before this happened?

May 30, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #17,617 of 19,652

Sorry it's not working out right now.
I hope it's still under warranty?

May 30, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #17,618 of 19,652
Have you tried a different cable?

May 31, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #17,620 of 19,652

Try a different cable or a different usb port or a different computer. Does it still work on it's own? Just not connecting?

How picky is X5 with USB cables? FiiO recommend using their included Micro USB cable, but as there are several different Micro USB on the market fitting several mobile phones, I assume some may work to charge but maybe not to transfer data!? Is it possible to crash/ruin an item if using wroing cable?

May 31, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #17,621 of 19,652
  How picky is X5 with USB cables? FiiO recommend using their included Micro USB cable, but as there are several different Micro USB on the market fitting several mobile phones, I assume some may work to charge but maybe not to transfer data!? Is it possible to crash/ruin an item if using wroing cable?

not. Usually most cables should be compatbile between devices. Even if this is true, every producer recommends using a device with the cable it came with.

It is possible that a certain cable is broken and this is why it is creating problems. Like having a single pin broken and not be detected broken by other devices or so. 

May 31, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #17,623 of 19,652
I really can't live without my x5 anymore!
I even buy a se846 for it!

But I have problem with playlist. How can I change music orders in a playlist. I am curently on fw 2.5.

I really appreciate any helps.

If you want to re-order the playlist, you can do this when you connect your x5 to your computer.

If you want to shuffle, or repeat or something similar, you can use the left top button. 

May 31, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #17,624 of 19,652

Try a different cable or a different usb port or a different computer. Does it still work on it's own? Just not connecting?

Have tried different cables and different ports on different computers, but the X5 doesn't get recognised at all. The fact that the X5 doesn't recognise my OTG drive either (and I tried different cables there too) suggests it's something wrong with the X5's USB connection. It's not firmware as I have reinstalled 2.4 and gone back to 2.5 without any difference. The SSD I use on the OTG connection connects to the PC with no issues. Don't think I did anything out of the ordinary to make it go wrong.

May 31, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #17,625 of 19,652

Fiio made it seem like a big deal to use their original, but I've got a ton of microusb cables and can't think of any issues using a different one. 

Have tried different cables and different ports on different computers, but the X5 doesn't get recognised at all. The fact that the X5 doesn't recognise my OTG drive either (and I tried different cables there too) suggests it's something wrong with the X5's USB connection. It's not firmware as I have reinstalled 2.4 and gone back to 2.5 without any difference. The SSD I use on the OTG connection connects to the PC with no issues. Don't think I did anything out of the ordinary to make it go wrong.

Ouch! Aside from those possibilities it sounds like the microusb port isn't working 
frown.gif
 bummer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back