The Fiio X5 Thread
May 27, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #17,596 of 19,652
 It's not expectation bias that ruins sighted tests...

Lol, I've read this forum and was expecting one of these answers Joe. I'll restate that I expected the same sound before listening and add that I prefer the Mac source at any volume to the X5 source at any volume for hires tracks.

Might get the Mrs to do some switching for me with a blind fold on. But I bet I can pick the Mac every time.

May 27, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #17,597 of 19,652
Lol, I've read this forum and was expecting one of these answers Joe. I'll restate that I expected the same sound before listening and add that I prefer the Mac source at any volume to the X5 source at any volume for hires tracks.

Might get the Mrs to do some switching for me with a blind fold on. But I bet I can pick the Mac every time.

Remember to volume match before you do. Even 1db louder and it will sound preferable to our ears. If you don't have the appropriate gear then a speaker level app on your smartphone will be better than just using your ears.

May 27, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #17,598 of 19,652
 It's not expectation bias that ruins sighted tests...

Hello Gordon,

In that case I'll report back if our engineers can reproduce the discrepancy? :confused_face_2:

What kind of hi-res tracks (format, sample rate, bit depth) were you playing?

Best regards,
Joe (FiiO representative)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 27, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #17,599 of 19,652
 In that case I'll report back if our engineers can reproduce the discrepancy?

Many thanks Joe, you guys offer great support and I love the X5 (FW2.5). As I said earlier, I don't really find it an issue, just intrigued why it's happening.

I intended doing some testing on the weekend. I have been thinking about it more and might take my ears out of the equation. If I use the line out and record to Audacity on a second Mac any difference should be seen. And, volume should not factor in correct?

A bit more on the volume. I knew to most people louder is better. So I tried with both sources louder and softer than each other and still preferred the Mac.

I gave a quick listen to a few hires albums. I'll have to check bit rates. I did the most listening with Norah Jones - Come Away With Me 192/24.

Sounds like I'll have to start saving for a Gen II :)

May 27, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #17,600 of 19,652

The difficulty here is deeper - and even blinded, random A/B testing is not even enough.

This is the thing that makes people cringe - our expectations shape our perception. It is not that you "imagine" something sounding better. It DOES "sound" better - TO YOU. If you believe that the $120 headphone cable made with unobtainium causes your system to sound better than the well-constructed $15 copper core cable then, for you, it actually WILL sound better. Not "you are imagining it". You expectation will change your perception in such an incredibly subtle way that you WILL ACTUALLY experience an improvement. We forget that our BRAIN is the THE most important organ involved in hearing. Not our ears - our brain.

If you are in physics, then "sound" is oscillating longitudinal air pressure. There is no brain present, and no processing. Under such conditions, everyone "hears" the same thing - and the "now" you will hear the same thing as the "future you", and also the same thing as what "past you" heard. But nothing could be farther from the truth. You and I will NEVER hear exactly what our own ears experience. That perception is filtered through layers of processing and even feedback loops (yes, your brain actually alters your ears' geometry in response to some sounds, which in turn changes how you hear those sounds, which results in changes in geometry.... you get the point).

If you even have a mild, subconscious bias (no - not even a conscious one) toward one source vs. another and you fail to do blind A/B/X testing, then your tests mean very little to nothing. The industry does not want you to believe that, but there is an enormous body of science that backs that up.

Then you get into equal loudness counters ("Fletcher-Munson Curves"), which show how our perception of volume is DIFFERENT at different frequencies, and you see why level matching is so important when testing. With source material, you have another problem with controlling variables. That great SACD you bought MIGHT sound better than its red-book counterpart because it is DSD. It might instead sound better because the mix, or the mastering on the SACD was different - with greater dynamic range. So now, to do a really good experiment, you have to control for that too.

Because here is the deal - you can be JUST as happy and have JUST as great an experience if you use rational, unbiased information to shape your expectations. Then your expectations will be more realistic - and those expectations will shape you perception - and you will have the same fantastic experiences while spending a ton less money.

That does not mean that there is no difference between products. The X5 is an excellent player. It has outstanding sound quality given reasonably high-quality source material. I have one, and bought one for a grad present for my music-major son. 

May 27, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #17,601 of 19,652
While I'm here... Can anyone comment on how an E10K compares to the X5 as a DAC? Thinking of grabbing one to throw in my Laptop bag. I like to look after the X5, better not to take it as my daily carry if the E10K is nearly as good.

May 27, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #17,602 of 19,652
 The difficulty here is deeper...

But Laird, I believe they should sound the same. And, I truly want them to sound the same.

May 27, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #17,603 of 19,652
  But Laird, I believe they should sound the same. And, I truly want them to sound the same.

The point is, you believe that. But you don't necessarily know that. If you have a reason for them not to sound the same - and nice theoretical, rational reason, then that shapes your expectation - even when you don't want it to. Only a really good experiment can tease the "expectation" variable out of all the other data. We are all beautifully flawed.

May 27, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #17,604 of 19,652
Hah if only my compatriot Jean-Claude Van Damme was into Head-Fi 

After reading Lair's posts, I feel like Head-Fi website should have the following message before entering the site: "Greetings visitor, just know that the gear you own already sounds the best!"
...and if the person still agrees, get greeted with "Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet." 

May 28, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #17,605 of 19,652
 In that case I'll report back if our engineers can reproduce the discrepancy?

Many thanks Joe, you guys offer great support and I love the X5 (FW2.5). As I said earlier, I don't really find it an issue, just intrigued why it's happening.

I intended doing some testing on the weekend. I have been thinking about it more and might take my ears out of the equation. If I use the line out and record to Audacity on a second Mac any difference should be seen. And, volume should not factor in correct?

A bit more on the volume. I knew to most people louder is better. So I tried with both sources louder and softer than each other and still preferred the Mac.

I gave a quick listen to a few hires albums. I'll have to check bit rates. I did the most listening with Norah Jones - Come Away With Me 192/24.

Sounds like I'll have to start saving for a Gen II :)

Yes, that's as good a solution as any--seems like a proper blinded ABX test can be harder to run than many high-end electronics experiments :wink:

Start with some good ole frequency sweeps :smile:

Laird, I would argue that the flaw of sighted comparisons lies not (just) in bias, conscious or subconscious. See my first post on the subject. Anyway, I think Gordon has got the point, and in his shoes I would certainly prefer the measurement approach to further auditory testing :smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 28, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #17,606 of 19,652
Thanks Joe. BTW picked up an E10K at lunch time. I had a listen at low volumes at work on some Porta Pros. I'm very impressed, much better the my MacBook Air output. I don't think I'll bother taking the X5 to work anymore. I'll take my Momentums in tomorrow and a few more albums.

For those interested, it works fine with my Galaxy Tab S8.4. But I can't get it working with my iPhone / CCK with or without a hub (the X5 works fine with a hub). Never mind, it's mainly for the Air. 

May 28, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #17,607 of 19,652
Yeah.. there are now lots of ways to easily carry lots of music around. That is why I asked why many people have stated that not having enough "internal" or slot based storage in a device was/is a deal killer for them.

Fascinating fact:
The 128 GB USB key cost me as much as the 64 GB micro SD card I bought!

May 29, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #17,608 of 19,652
Fascinating fact:
The 128 GB USB key cost me as much as the 64 GB micro SD card I bought!

Not to mention that hanging a storage dongle off a portable DAP is a bit like hitching a trailer to your car because your car is too small to do what you want. Yeah, it will work. But it is unruly as heck, makes maneuvering the car more difficult, and is ugly as sin.

May 29, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #17,610 of 19,652

Not to mention that hanging a storage dongle off a portable DAP is a bit like hitching a trailer to your car because your car is too small to do what you want. Yeah, it will work. But it is unruly as heck, makes maneuvering the car more difficult, and is ugly as sin.

Yep, it sure ain't pretty.
I can't wait for the price of 128 GB micro SD cards to drop down to a sane level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back