The Fiio X5 Thread
Feb 19, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #15,841 of 19,652
Been looking for answers to these questions for months now, I think I asked it like 5 times already. So I should assume no-one knows, or cares to answer.

If you wish to create a playlist on the player itself, it says new playlist 1,2,3 etc.
Where are these stored? on the SD card? Is there a way to backup the playlists created with the internal device?
Is there a way to name them etc. to add mutiple files at once to a playlist on the device, WITHOUT aid of computer?

Anyone know if a 1 Terabyte USB HDD will work? and if so which one you know to be compatible? Or is 750 GB the max? (as Fiio stated they would support 1 TB. *750+250 of the SD's?)

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #15,842 of 19,652
I sent in my X5 for repairs and it seems it is lost in the mail :frowning2:.  Its not FiiO's fault, its the post office's fault.  Problem is, FiiO told me to mark value as $10 so there is really no point in opening an insurance claim.  They told me to wait until after Chinese New Year but every package I have sent out in the last 2 months can be checked on my USPS.com account but the one going to FiiO never registered after the label was printed. I even recall where I dropped it off. It was the counter with a bunch of other packages where they throw in a bin and ship them out.  Terribly unhappy about this situation but I guess... thats life.  =\

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #15,843 of 19,652
  I sent in my X5 for repairs and it seems it is lost in the mail :frowning2:.  Its not FiiO's fault, its the post office's fault.  Problem is, FiiO told me to mark value as $10 so there is really no point in opening an insurance claim.  They told me to wait until after Chinese New Year but every package I have sent out in the last 2 months can be checked on my USPS.com account but the one going to FiiO never registered after the label was printed. I even recall where I dropped it off. It was the counter with a bunch of other packages where they throw in a bin and ship them out.  Terribly unhappy about this situation but I guess... thats life.  =\

dude...that sucks major donkey ****. hope you get this sorted out asap

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #15,845 of 19,652
  dude...that sucks major donkey ****. hope you get this sorted out asap

Ive really given up hope.  If it turns up, awesome.  Again, not FiiO's fault!  I am not complaining about them.  It is standard what they requested.  I really enjoyed the X5 while I had it.  It was bigger and a bit clumsy to use vs the DX90 but the SQ was great. 

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #15,846 of 19,652
  Been looking for answers to these questions for months now, I think I asked it like 5 times already. So I should assume no-one knows, or cares to answer.

If you wish to create a playlist on the player itself, it says new playlist 1,2,3 etc.
Where are these stored? on the SD card? Is there a way to backup the playlists created with the internal device?
Is there a way to name them etc. to add mutiple files at once to a playlist on the device, WITHOUT aid of computer?

Anyone know if a 1 Terabyte USB HDD will work? and if so which one you know to be compatible? Or is 750 GB the max? (as Fiio stated they would support 1 TB. *750+250 of the SD's?)

you did not got an answer, because this has been answered not many pages ago, the discussion lasted a while..
to be short. you cannot create playlists on the go and save them. Nothing without a computer can be done to them, and they are going to be lost after reinstalling the firmware. just add the songs to favorites, then check them in computer, then make a playlist in computer. only  this thing works. sorry.

No external hdd will work. only otg usb, which means a usb stick, no external ssd or hdd. there are 512 gb if i am correct. there might be 1tb that work, you would have to search this thread to fiind out which one works, and how, i cannot give advice.

if i can help you fiind a better solution, i would be glad to, just explain what you are trying to do, and we shall see if there is another solution to your problem.

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #15,847 of 19,652

There's a poster called 'olddude'.  You should be able to find him in the Pono threads as well as this one, sometimes.  He may be thinking of selling his X5.  If you want to replace yours, you could look for him.

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #15,848 of 19,652
  you did not got an answer, because this has been answered not many pages ago, the discussion lasted a while..
to be short. you cannot create playlists on the go and save them. Nothing without a computer can be done to them, and they are going to be lost after reinstalling the firmware. just add the songs to favorites, then check them in computer, then make a playlist in computer. only  this thing works. sorry.

No external hdd will work. only otg usb, which means a usb stick, no external ssd or hdd. there are 512 gb if i am correct. there might be 1tb that work, you would have to search this thread to fiind out which one works, and how, i cannot give advice.

if i can help you fiind a better solution, i would be glad to, just explain what you are trying to do, and we shall see if there is another solution to your problem.

I see, i did not notice, I dont take time to keep updated and read through dozen of pages. Sometimes I do though.
Ok that's a shame.. useless function then. Very inconvenient might aswell not have this feature almost..

I read in this thread that it should work?! sometime ago, someone had it working I believe. But he didnt specify what drive? if I remember correctly
And he said his battery duration became less because of it.

I read Fiio would add support for up to 1 terabyte storage total  (or extra storage via usb) not sure.
So it is suggested it should be possible as there are not sd cards, and usb sticks in that size.
I am trying to maximize the storage on the Fiio, with compatible hardware. currenty have a 128 GB SD + 32 GB SD + 64 USB OTG.
if the Fiio X5 would be able to support external USB HDD, then it would be the cheapest solution to expand.
I don't see why it shouldn't as the FIio website states usb storage only from certain chip brands are compatible.
Surely some external HDD's use a certain chip brand?

here are 512 gb if i am correct. there might be 1tb that work, you would have to search this thread to fiind out which one works, and how, i cannot give advice.
With this u mean USB hDD or USB stick?

As for playlists, I like to mark the songs of for example the 12 albums of Halo Music I got in a "best of and order playlist"
Doing this via the Fiio X5 is tedous, time consuiming, and the playlists can't be transferred over as you explained.
The workaround is to translate afterwards on the computer. but I am just so utterly dissapointed that such a simple feature is a miss.
Not that you can help it ofcourse haha

Anyway thanks alot for your response dude! I appreciate it.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #15,849 of 19,652
I apologize if this has been answered before.

I love the sound of my X5 ever since I got it last June, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to use the scroll wheel. It's almost to the point of being unusable right now; try to scroll through music it will just jump back and forth between up/down and it's very hard to be precise in selecting an album. And when I try to click it in order to select a song, it will frequently just jump to another song unless I am very careful in clicking firmly and directly in the center of the button. Is it possible to clean the scroll wheel or is there some other method to fix what I'm experiencing? It's getting incredibly annoying and I'm afraid I'm going to have to send it in for repairs if this continues. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #15,850 of 19,652

I see, i did not notice, I dont take time to keep updated and read through dozen of pages. Sometimes I do though.
Ok that's a shame.. useless function then. Very inconvenient might aswell not have this feature almost..

I read in this thread that it should work?! sometime ago, someone had it working I believe. But he didnt specify what drive? if I remember correctly
And he said his battery duration became less because of it.

I read Fiio would add support for up to 1 terabyte storage total  (or extra storage via usb) not sure.
So it is suggested it should be possible as there are not sd cards, and usb sticks in that size.
I am trying to maximize the storage on the Fiio, with compatible hardware. currenty have a 128 GB SD + 32 GB SD + 64 USB OTG.
if the Fiio X5 would be able to support external USB HDD, then it would be the cheapest solution to expand.
I don't see why it shouldn't as the FIio website states usb storage only from certain chip brands are compatible.
Surely some external HDD's use a certain chip brand?

here are 512 gb if i am correct. there might be 1tb that work, you would have to search this thread to fiind out which one works, and how, i cannot give advice.
With this u mean USB hDD or USB stick?

As for playlists, I like to mark the songs of for example the 12 albums of Halo Music I got in a "best of and order playlist"
Doing this via the Fiio X5 is tedous, time consuiming, and the playlists can't be transferred over as you explained.
The workaround is to translate afterwards on the computer. but I am just so utterly dissapointed that such a simple feature is a miss.
Not that you can help it ofcourse haha

Anyway thanks alot for your response dude! I appreciate it.

mostly it is impossible to support HDD or SSD because it draws too much power. there are some SSD devices that use an enclosure with a usb otg cable that might work, but it is a gamble to try, as most of them will not work. i remember users to be using something PNY as brand for otg, which can go pretty far. but 2X128gb + 512 OTG is pretty enough. when the new cards will arrive, fiio promised to support them, if this helps

mostly usb sticks that are 512 and from pny seem to work, if i am right, this has to be answered by someone else, as i do not use otg.

mainly stick to normal usb sticks, and do not complicate with low power ssd through otg enclosure as this can fail.

I apologize if this has been answered before.

I love the sound of my X5 ever since I got it last June, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to use the scroll wheel. It's almost to the point of being unusable right now; try to scroll through music it will just jump back and forth between up/down and it's very hard to be precise in selecting an album. And when I try to click it in order to select a song, it will frequently just jump to another song unless I am very careful in clicking firmly and directly in the center of the button. Is it possible to clean the scroll wheel or is there some other method to fix what I'm experiencing? It's getting incredibly annoying and I'm afraid I'm going to have to send it in for repairs if this continues. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

if it has always been like this it is all right. i know what you are talking about, and it is fine for my usage. i only miss 5% of time, so there is no real problem with the wheel., 
if this started to worsen, send for repairs, it should come better. there is no way to repair it at home, if the wheel is acting funny.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #15,851 of 19,652
Could anyone here help me make a comparison between X5+E12A combo with another DAP on the market (NW-ZX1..ETC ? (for use with IEM), i wonder how much it stand up to others.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #15,852 of 19,652
  mostly it is impossible to support HDD or SSD because it draws too much power. there are some SSD devices that use an enclosure with a usb otg cable that might work, but it is a gamble to try, as most of them will not work. i remember users to be using something PNY as brand for otg, which can go pretty far. but 2X128gb + 512 OTG is pretty enough. when the new cards will arrive, fiio promised to support them, if this helps

mostly usb sticks that are 512 and from pny seem to work, if i am right, this has to be answered by someone else, as i do not use otg.

mainly stick to normal usb sticks, and do not complicate with low power ssd through otg enclosure as this can fail.

if it has always been like this it is all right. i know what you are talking about, and it is fine for my usage. i only miss 5% of time, so there is no real problem with the wheel., 
if this started to worsen, send for repairs, it should come better. there is no way to repair it at home, if the wheel is acting funny.

Not sure who quoted what.  But last I've heard, there's a 256GB usb stick from PNY that people say works.
Secondly, whoever is having trouble with the wheel might want to do the old A to Z filing structure.  I finally got around to it the other night, and now I just use the bottom buttons to count over to where I want to be.  Sometimes, due to prednazone, my finger shakes between the wheel and center button.  Part of life.  But, if one has a load of artist/albums,  A to Z is critically easier and faster to use.
HTH someone.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #15,853 of 19,652
+1 on the A-Z! The best way to navigate!

Since doing some custom themes and flashing my X5 a zillion times and testing them out, I have found that my wheel has been acting up as well. Almost like a digital case of Tourette's syndrome. Not sure if it wears out or not but I have noticed it lately so I did a factory reset and it seems to have helped. It could be the digital link with the analogue potentiometer might get out of sync. of course this 'fix' could all be in my head as I really don't know what is going on under the hood there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back