The Fiio X5 Thread
Aug 23, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #12,031 of 19,652
I fixed it with the factory default reset.  Everything back to normal - running 2.2 modified.

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #12,032 of 19,652
AFAIK the 1st full digital recording was Dire Staits and Brothers in Arms. GRP records (Jazz) also started full digital recordings about that time as well. If you are looking for well produced albums that sound superb and not necessarily Hi-Res you could start with Steely Dan/Donald Fagen.

This might also interest you;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRP_Records

http://www.stuff.tv/music/30-greatest-audiophile-albums/feature

http://www.alkooper.com/hot100.html

I've got the Nirvana unplugged album. Absolutely love it.
The XX i pre ordered at the time, was hyped, and the hype was real. Great album.
Abbey Road, only on vinyl, of course i'm not the first owner so the quality isn't "top notch" anymore. I prefer to listen to the digital remastered version.
Random Access Memories, no matter what people say, it's a great album, and it's daft punk through and through.
Sigur Rós i was introduced to last year, at Rock Werchter, a belgium festival. Just thinking about that performance still makes my eyes wet. Their music speaks to my soul. I just sat down on the ground and closed my eyes the whole concert. Life afterwards became a little more dull.
Wish you were here is one of my favourite albums, i've the "discovery" box set by Pink Floyd, and am still trying to find original pressings of most of their albums on vinyl.

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #12,033 of 19,652
I haven't ever heard of them. I'm assuming they do not sing in English? Nirvana unplugged is a great album, do yourself a favor and pick up the airborne toxic event - all I ever wanted - live from Walt Disney theatre it is a great album.

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #12,034 of 19,652
For those who are interested - the result of the X5 firmware's SQ comparison is out: http://www.head-fi.org/t/730848/fiio-x5-firmwares-sound-quality/30#post_10821240

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #12,035 of 19,652

AFAIK the 1st full digital recording was Dire Staits and Brothers in Arms. GRP records (Jazz) also started full digital recordings about that time as well. If you are looking for well produced albums that sound superb and not necessarily Hi-Res you could start with Steely Dan/Donald Fagen.

This might also interest you;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRP_Records

http://www.stuff.tv/music/30-greatest-audiophile-albums/feature

http://www.alkooper.com/hot100.html

Wow!  Lots of interesting choices.  Thanks!
Kevin

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #12,036 of 19,652
So, I own an X5 and it sounds good, but having said that I also own an Oppo BDP-105 and the difference in sound quality between the two, just comparing with headphones and the same recordings, is very significant. I can see where some will say that it's not a fair comparison because of the price difference between the two and other things, but i don't buy that argument and here is why.

Yes, the Oppo cost three and a half times the FiiO X5, but look at all the things it does. Blu-ray/DVD playback, SACD playback, DVD-Audio playback, computer file playback, CD playback, and so on and so on. Forget all of that other stuff, I suspect if you were to calculate just the cost of the headphone section of the 105 it would end up being considerably less than the cost of an X5. Why then does the Oppo sound so much better with the same files driving the same headphones from the same source?

Yes the FiiO is portable and the 105 is not, but really so what? What is it about the portability that should automatically mean that with identical or close to identical costs, that the portable solution is not going to have as high a level of fidelity as the non portable product? Is it because it's battery powered instead of being powered by AC? Is it because of the larger and more robust power supply in the Oppo that is just not possible to implement in a portable solution due to size and weight? What?

Can a portable source truly have the fidelity of a good desktop solution? Does it have to cost $2500(A&K240)? I have a local shop that carries the AK 240 and I may just take the trip there today to have a listen, but this thing costs more than double the price of the BDP-105, and from what I have read online, while it may be the sound quality king of the portable DAP world, most if not all reports suggest that while it is indeed better sounding than the X5 or DX90 or AK's cheaper, (definitely a relative term) players, the gap is less than huge. The sound quality gap between my 105 and the X5 certainly approaches huge.

I don't want anyone thinking I am picking on the X5 or any portable DAP for that matter, that's not the case at all and perhaps this thread isn't the proper place to post all of this, but I am just curious why there is such a significant gap in sound quality between these two sources.

Any thoughts?

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #12,037 of 19,652

Any thoughts?

Were you playing the exact same files through both? What about volume?

I'm just curious, not doubting. I experienced something huge when my LH Geek arrived earlier this year. The SQ gap between it and all the daps I've heard was (comparatively) huge.

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #12,038 of 19,652
Really depends on what phones/iem your using...    for some phones/iems its best to up the power of the X5 by adding an external amp...
Thats why the E12 combo is offered with the stacking kit to mate with the X5...    
and if you want to push the X5 even further, another option is to mate the X5 with the ifi iDSD Micro and use the Coax output of the X5.
The X5 comes with a small Coax cable but you will need to purchase a coax cable to connect the X5 to another AMP/DAC using the small Coax cable that came with the X5

The X5/ifi idsd Micro is a super nice set up...   not as portable as the E12 combo but still is a good mobile solution that also works very well with your computers...

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #12,039 of 19,652

Any thoughts?

Were you playing the exact same files through both? What about volume?

I'm just curious, not doubting. I experienced something huge when my LH Geek arrived earlier this year. The SQ gap between it and all the daps I've heard was (comparatively) huge.

Yes, as I stated in my original post, the exact same files through both, micro SD card in the X5 and USB stick in the Oppo, level matched as best I could, but the files were both transferred from the exact same location on my desktop to both carrier media and please don't try to insult my intelligence by suggesting that the differences I heard could possibly be the result of one being a micro SD card and the other being a flash/thumb drive or as a result of slight volume differences. I have been around long enough to recognize the difference between volume difference and a genuine increase in fidelity.
  Really depends on what phones/iem your using...    for some phones/iems its best to up the power of the X5 by adding an external amp...
Thats why the E12 combo is offered with the stacking kit to mate with the X5...    
and if you want to push the X5 even further, another option is to mate the X5 with the ifi iDSD Micro and use the Coax output of the X5.
The X5 comes with a small Coax cable but you will need to purchase a coax cable to connect the X5 to another AMP/DAC using the small Coax cable that came with the X5

The X5/ifi idsd Micro is a super nice set up...   not as portable as the E12 combo but still is a good mobile solution that also works very well with your computers...

I am using NAD Viso HP50 headphones that are efficient and very easy to drive. The headphone amp in the Oppo BDP-105 is actually rated to deliver less power into the NAD's 32ohm load than the X5.

I definitely intend to try the X5 with an E12, but i certainly wouldn't expect the improvement to be anywhere near the magnitude of the X5 compared to the Oppo BDP-105.

I also have a local dealer who currently advertises the iDSD Micro and I admit it is very interesting and the reviews have been awesome, but it costs about the same as the X5 itself, maybe even a little more, and having seen one in person I don't feel that it's size makes it a very good candidate for carrying around on a daily basis along with the X5. I think sometimes "Micro" is in the eye of the beholder.

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #12,040 of 19,652
  Yes, as I stated in my original post, the exact same files through both, micro SD card in the X5 and USB stick in the Oppo, level matched as best I could, but the files were both transferred from the exact same location on my desktop to both carrier media and please don't try to insult my intelligence by suggesting that the differences I heard could possibly be the result of one being a micro SD card and the other being a flash/thumb drive or as a result of slight volume differences. I have been around long enough to recognize the difference between volume difference and a genuine increase in fidelity.

Your intelligence remains untarnished 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #12,041 of 19,652
  So, I own an X5 and it sounds good, but having said that I also own an Oppo BDP-105 and the difference in sound quality between the two, just comparing with headphones and the same recordings, is very significant. I can see where some will say that it's not a fair comparison because of the price difference between the two and other things, but i don't buy that argument and here is why.

Yes, the Oppo cost three and a half times the FiiO X5, but look at all the things it does. Blu-ray/DVD playback, SACD playback, DVD-Audio playback, computer file playback, CD playback, and so on and so on. Forget all of that other stuff, I suspect if you were to calculate just the cost of the headphone section of the 105 it would end up being considerably less than the cost of an X5. Why then does the Oppo sound so much better with the same files driving the same headphones from the same source?

Yes the FiiO is portable and the 105 is not, but really so what? What is it about the portability that should automatically mean that with identical or close to identical costs, that the portable solution is not going to have as high a level of fidelity as the non portable product? Is it because it's battery powered instead of being powered by AC? Is it because of the larger and more robust power supply in the Oppo that is just not possible to implement in a portable solution due to size and weight? What?

Can a portable source truly have the fidelity of a good desktop solution? Does it have to cost $2500(A&K240)? I have a local shop that carries the AK 240 and I may just take the trip there today to have a listen, but this thing costs more than double the price of the BDP-105, and from what I have read online, while it may be the sound quality king of the portable DAP world, most if not all reports suggest that while it is indeed better sounding than the X5 or DX90 or AK's cheaper, (definitely a relative term) players, the gap is less than huge. The sound quality gap between my 105 and the X5 certainly approaches huge.

I don't want anyone thinking I am picking on the X5 or any portable DAP for that matter, that's not the case at all and perhaps this thread isn't the proper place to post all of this, but I am just curious why there is such a significant gap in sound quality between these two sources.

Any thoughts?

You bring up the same questions, I've been wondering for a long time.  I have a desktop source also.  Once is high end and other is the ODAC/O2.  When I compared audible performance of low tier DAPs, I realized limitations compared to desktop source.  Since I prefer CIEMs, I compared using my NT6, imo is the most transparent phone I've heard to date, and realized it scales with source you feed it as I have other iems for comparisons.  What is perplexing is that like other iems, my NT6 should not require much power to drive it like full sized cans, yet audibly I prefer a desktop source compared to the lower tiered DAPs.  It sound more expansive and dynamic.  At one point I have a competent portable amp, the Vorzuge pure ii, and wanted to output to it portably using ODAC expecting it to sound like the ODAC/O2.  Unfortunately, the ODAC connected OTG through my Galaxy S4 didn't sound the same so I suspect that S doesn't output enough current to the ODAC through OTG compared to my desktop.  Audibly I prefer my DAC2 as it sounds more transparent to my ears compared to the ODAC/O2 which is also is powered through AC.  

Only portable that audbily provided close to the transparency and dynamics of the desktop is the AK240.  Like many here, I think the price is too much, but at the same time it's a portable size of an ipod that comes close to my desktop setup(obviously not for full-sized).  DX90 is not to my liking, but X5 does provide good performance for a portable IMO.

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #12,042 of 19,652
Right on the defensive out of the gate. It would be nice if desktop components were portable, sadly this is not the case.

Regardless, we all hear things differently and we all have our own sonic preferences.

Some people prefer the DX90 to the Hugo. Does that mean everyone will? I prefer the 5 to the 90 does that mean the 5 is better than the Hugo?

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #12,043 of 19,652
Yes - they are pretty special - and amazing value. I managed to pick up an XBA-4 for an incredibly good price last week (too good to turn down), so will be reviewing them soon. And Vic just sent me the Fidue A83 to trial - it is incredible. X5 definitely getting a good workout!

Looking forward to that intellectually but not monetarily, lol! I've been curious about H3 / H4 for awhile but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Hearing you thoughts on it vs. A83, Altone, and DN1K might just push me over the edge :scream:.

CH23: Yes, seeing Sigur Ros live is an amazing experience. I'd love to see Jonsi's solo act live, too. I've heard that is another amazing experience.

Aug 23, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #12,044 of 19,652
Right on the defensive out of the gate. It would be nice if desktop components were portable, sadly this is not the case.

Regardless, we all hear things differently and we all have our own sonic preferences.

Some people prefer the DX90 to the Hugo. Does that mean everyone will? I prefer the 5 to the 90 does that mean the 5 is better than the Hugo?

Who is defensive, and how?

Yes, I agree that we all hear differently and that explains preference, to a degree, but i also believe that there is a point, and it's not as far up the scale as a lot of people might think, where better is simply better despite the possible preference of a few.

Aug 23, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #12,045 of 19,652
Hi , I just Update the firmware 2.0 to 2.20 , but on the new firmware , When I forward music files  It muted the music then play  , I don't like it , the old 2.0 firmware is play the music when I forward , Is it bug ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back