The Fiio X5 Thread
Aug 21, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #11,971 of 19,652
Oh, so it's probably a glitch on my X5. Incidentally, I've gone from fw 2.0 to 2.07b to 2.2 and this situation has followed me all the way to the present.
When I am in a selection already which is in progress and I close the X5, when I start up again, having previously selected this from settings, I get the piece I was playing before closing down. From there, though, I can get to the card page right away, so I'm getting in the habit of ending a listening session from a selection playing.

I'm going to try and help you with this, i'll try it on my own X5 first. Hold on.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #11,972 of 19,652
Ah HA! That did it, thanks! :D

Did a Factory Reset before but the second time worked like a charm. Ghosts in the machine. :wink:

First time lucky for me, but the reset might help other people.

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #11,973 of 19,652
  Does anyone know of a way, when first turning on the X5, of going straight to the page that allows you to select which card to use? I am finding it a bit fiddly to try to get there using the folder icon and upper right button. When I first select the folder icon, I'm faced with a page that allows me to select genre, artist, song and album. When I select album, I'm brought back to folder icon. Press and I get a page with three lines at the top, each saying: flac and followed by a selection of individual "songs" or pieces, rather than an album.
I don't want to go there, I don't want to select other than album.  I want the card selection first when I select the folder icon or before.  I always want to use the folder option b/c I listen to mainly classical music and jazz. I don't use the song, genre or artist option at all, just the album selection.
If, however, I press the upper left button, nothing happens until I'm actually playing something. Then the icons, including card selection appears.
No, this is not a deal breaker for me, haha, not by any means b/c it's really really such a good quality player! It's so good that I'm saving to buy the Kaiser 10 to pair with it!

1: download the stock firmware from FiiO
2: download this firmware: https://mega.co.nz/#!fIwVlawI!OTH2NV15wX5gDAKk1DwpTG_QdZxpu0qbYozeZGnou3g
3: place the firmware i gave you on the root of your first mSD card
4: "upgrade"
5: boot the device, you should only see a white screen
6: turn it off again
7: connect to your PC again, to replace the firmware i gave you with the stock firmware from FiiO
8: upgrade again
9: ?????
10: profit! (i hope)

the firmware file i gave you is without the file system, thus clearing all images, and files that come with the stock firmware, and this may fix it.

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #11,974 of 19,652

I think it had more to do with a questionable story about a friend who said the X5 gets returned in droves, which didn't jibe with any evidence. That, and the fact that you only seem to come out of the woodwork every fifty pages or so when someone decides to return one.

Everyone knows the firmware needs work, including FiiO themselves. Our differences stem from how patient we're willing to be while they work it out.

What can I say? You are right on everything you say about me. When I have nothing to add to this already ginormous thread, I just stay quiet. What I have most experience and information is related to X5 firmware issues and "questionable" anecdotes regarding a more than normal rate of returns to B&H only because of said UI. That's about the only thing I can talk about, as this forum is full of people more experienced with the rest of the thousand issues discussed here.
I seriously doubt there's many people here that bought more FiiO products that I did, but you are free to think of my intentions as you're pleased.

The market, as most people know, is not very patient for extremely basic missing functionality on any product, and that's exactly my original point. I only wish the best for FiiO, they are better than Apple and Sony in some ways, being such a small company.

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #11,975 of 19,652
  What can I say? You are right on everything you say about me. When I have nothing to add to this already ginormous thread, I just stay quiet. What I have most experience and information is related to X5 firmware issues and "questionable" anecdotes regarding a more than normal rate of returns to B&H only because of said UI. That's about the only thing I can talk about, as this forum is full of people more experienced with the rest of the thousand issues discussed here.
I seriously doubt there's many people here that bought more FiiO products that I did, but you are free to think of my intentions as you're pleased.

The market, as most people know, is not very patient for extremely basic missing functionality on any product, and that's exactly my original point. I only wish the best for FiiO, they are better than Apple and Sony in some ways, being such a small company.

This thread is to discuss the product and issues around it. So we don't need your drama or your bold conclusions from "anecdotal evidence". Some of the issues raised here will never see the light of the day hopefully. Most people stay quiet and don't express their opinions about weird proposals.

So if anyone have anything to say avoiding misplaced bashing and drama, we can exchange opinions. 

Your "inside information"  says more about you than about the product. Putting your friend's job at stake for disclosing that info to the public says a lot about you. I really don't care if you're a troll or a kid, but you're not contributing to the discussion. Your bold business predictions about the product are useless drama. 

Wanna talk about markets? OK, this is a niche market caring about high-res music. High-res music is a niche within the bigger download music market. So any comparison with mainstream players with limited storage, lower SQ targeting the mass market is off the mark. Fiio's future is more linked to the development of high res music than the competitors. Fiio doesn't have the distribution capabilities of Apple and Sony. The product features would be only one of their problems if they were in direct competition.
Fiio still have most of their strategic choices open.
So your bold statements about Fiio and the competition are also misplaced. Your friends who want a better UI and don't need big storage or high-res capabilities should buy other product. And the business decisions of those friends don't imply Fiio demise.
But it seems that the other time around you were not able to understand the questions that other members were raising to you. But you came back with the same stuff.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #11,977 of 19,652
Bottom line for me, the X5 gives me sound from my cans that I never dreamed possible from a portable device. I always have the person on my shoulder saying "but if you added this it would be ever better". So I am thinking of adding an external amp. I am thinking E12 with the stacking kit ( I like how it looks together). I know this had been discussed here before but I was hoping to get feedback from people who went this direction and lived with it a while.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #11,978 of 19,652
I use the E12 with my X5 every day. To me it's essential if you have low impedence cans that require a lot of power. I use lcd-3s and they need it

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #11,979 of 19,652
Bottom line for me, the X5 gives me sound from my cans that I never dreamed possible from a portable device. I always have the person on my shoulder saying "but if you added this it would be ever better". So I am thinking of adding an external amp. I am thinking E12 with the stacking kit ( I like how it looks together). I know this had been discussed here before but I was hoping to get feedback from people who went this direction and lived with it a while.

Find an E12DIY and you'll be happy for a long long time.

Want another sound signature? Swap opamps, capacitors, or buffers.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #11,980 of 19,652

You might have a point if we were talking about a mass-marketed product sold in Target and Best Buy, as mainstream customers would likely not be informed about the nuanced differences between an Apple or Sony product and a FiiO product, nor about the fact that FiiO's been in the game for so much less time. However, we're talking about an enthusiast product aimed at audiophiles, who are generally known to be tinkerers and evaluators. These are people who are far more likely to understand and be patient with the fact that a small Chinese company is not going to get things perfect on the first or second go-around.

An easy, breezy user interface like Apple gives you doesn't just grow on trees. Heck, you only need to look as far as the other audiophile players on the market to see evidence of that: they're all pretty dire in terms of the polish of their firmware.

And as for missing features, as we've gone over, not everyone has the same priorities here. FiiO's main experience is in marketing to Chinese consumers, who may want different things. They're also trying their best to accommodate Western users and give them a product they like, and for the most part they're succeeding. But again, it doesn't happen overnight. And sometimes there's no way to figure this stuff out without selling the product and measuring the reaction to it. It's a perfectly normal, natural business process.

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #11,981 of 19,652
Well said. I will gladly put up with a rougher interface for the improved sound quality it puts up over Apple, and other non-audiophile electronics companies. That's why I buy from them anyway.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #11,982 of 19,652
  This thread is to discuss the product and issues around it. So we don't need your drama or your bold conclusions from "anecdotal evidence". Some of the issues raised here will never see the light of the day hopefully. Most people stay quiet and don't express their opinions about weird proposals.

So if anyone have anything to say avoiding misplaced bashing and drama, we can exchange opinions. 

Your "inside information"  says more about you than about the product. Putting your friend's job at stake for disclosing that info to the public says a lot about you. I really don't care if you're a troll or a kid, but you're not contributing to the discussion. Your bold business predictions about the product are useless drama. 

Wanna talk about markets? OK, this is a niche market caring about high-res music. High-res music is a niche within the bigger download music market. So any comparison with mainstream players with limited storage, lower SQ targeting the mass market is off the mark. Fiio's future is more linked to the development of high res music than the competitors. Fiio doesn't have the distribution capabilities of Apple and Sony. The product features would be only one of their problems if they were in direct competition.
Fiio still have most of their strategic choices open.
So your bold statements about Fiio and the competition are also misplaced. Your friends who want a better UI and don't need big storage or high-res capabilities should buy other product. And the business decisions of those friends don't imply Fiio demise.
But it seems that the other time around you were not able to understand the questions that other members were raising to you. But you came back with the same stuff.

OK, you just let me know the particular issues and product discussions that are accepted/needed/allowed and I promise I will stick to them. You act like if you were the owner of the thread, so I'd better do what I'm told, I'd prefer no to be chased by the forum censorship brigade.

Feel free to avoid reading my "drama", the last thing I want is to make you feel uncomfortable by not following your rules and/or expected behavior.

If this thread were only meant to discuss a few "non-misplaced" topics regarding the X5, it would not be 800+ pages long. Even the weirdest of things can be of use to both FiiO and potential buyers alike. Every unfulfilled wish a costumer or potential costumer has, represents a valuable piece of information to FiiO, as we are, ultimately, the ones that would or would not buy their actual and future products. You seem to have missed that fact.

Is FiiO ONLY a niche market company? Really? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? A niche company sells its products right next to Apple's iPods at the biggest consumer electronics retailer store in the American continent? You can also buy FiiO products in Amazon, Best Buy Marketplace and several other stores. And at those marketplaces, whether you like it or not, there are all types of costumers, including the majority: the ones that return any product they don't like for whatever reason. Your logic is flawed big time.
FiiO is going to be the new Cowon, and they are showing to have the potential to be even better. Sorry, no such niche-only strategy, I'm afraid. FiiO might be small-medium size, but they are aiming high.

Let's just agree to disagree in just about everything and leave it at that.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #11,983 of 19,652
Well said. I will gladly put up with a rougher interface for the improved sound quality it puts up over Apple, and other non-audiophile electronics companies. That's why I buy from them anyway.

+1, which is why I hung up my IPod Classic for an X5 and don't regret it.  Sounds like we're on the ground floor with a somewhat new company developing it's place in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back