The Fiio X5 Thread
Aug 21, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #11,986 of 19,652
OK, I just tried fw 2.2 and the sound is definitely different.

With 2.2, The sound stage is more narrowed, but it sounds somehow solid.
With 2.0, The sound stage is more dynamic, more bass.

And of coz, sound quality is very subjective, some people might not agree with me.

However I am going back to 2.0 for now.

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #11,987 of 19,652
Find an E12DIY and you'll be happy for a long long time.

Want another sound signature? Swap opamps, capacitors, or buffers.

Bad news for us in the UK as I can't find anywhere to purchase this at a reasonable cost.

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #11,988 of 19,652
Aug 21, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #11,989 of 19,652
Aug 21, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #11,990 of 19,652
Aug 21, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #11,991 of 19,652
Please can you let me know if the E12DIY battery can be replaced by the user?

If FiiO has them, you can. They're removable (though you cannot open the device without losing warranty, due to obvious reasons)

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #11,992 of 19,652
If FiiO has them, you can. They're removable (though you cannot open the device without losing warranty, due to obvious reasons)

So as I understand it, the battery is not exposed when the chips are changed for different sounds.

Thanks for you help.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #11,993 of 19,652
So as I understand it, the battery is not exposed when the chips are changed for different sounds.

Thanks for you help.

No, the battery will be exposed as you will change the chips.

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #11,994 of 19,652
  OK, I just tried fw 2.2 and the sound is definitely different.

With 2.2, The sound stage is more narrowed, but it sounds somehow solid.
With 2.0, The sound stage is more dynamic, more bass.

And of coz, sound quality is very subjective, some people might not agree with me.

However I am going back to 2.0 for now.

I've PM'd James and Joe to ask if they changed anything affecting SQ.  Hopefully should hear something back, and then we can put this one to rest one way or the other.  There's been no mention in the changelogs anyway, and I personally haven't heard any change.

Curious why/how are you so sure of the change.
  • How long between testing?
  • Did you back and forth several times?
  • Did you volume match (with an SPL meter and a test tone)?
  • Did you use same track?

I'm simply curious as to how people are so certain there are changes.  Unless you have two X5's abd can compare rapidly side-by-side, then the limitations of human auditory memory suggest that perceived differences are a guess at best.

Aug 21, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #11,995 of 19,652

I've PM'd James and Joe to ask if they changed anything affecting SQ.  Hopefully should hear something back, and then we can put this one to rest one way or the other.  There's been no mention in the changelogs anyway, and I personally haven't heard any change.

Curious why/how are you so sure of the change.
  • How long between testing?
  • Did you back and forth several times?
  • Did you volume match (with an SPL meter and a test tone)?
  • Did you use same track?

I'm simply curious as to how people are so certain there are changes.  Unless you have two X5's abd can compare rapidly side-by-side, then the limitations of human auditory memory suggest that perceived differences are a guess at best.

I too had the impression that something changed in the sound when going fw 2.2, using the same track. But, as you said, there is just too much space for auditory errors in a before/after listening session. My feeling is that the sound got "thinner", but that's just a very subjective sensation.

I'm curious too about any difference in the firmware that might have caused a non-wanted change in the sound. Perhaps an "improvement" in the libraries of the decoders?

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #11,996 of 19,652
  I too had the impression that something changed in the sound when going fw 2.2, using the same track. But, as you said, there is just too much space for auditory errors in a before/after listening session. My feeling is that the sound got "thinner", but that's just a very subjective sensation.

I'm curious too about any difference in the firmware that might have caused a non-wanted change in the sound. Perhaps an "improvement" in the libraries of the decoders?

I'm hoping James or Joe can let me know so I can pass it on.  It could be just my hearing (at 47 I'm on that slippery slope 
wink.gif
), but logic says that if they haven't changed any of the codecs, or intentionally tweaked anything, then there is no real SQ change.  And I think they'd have mentioned that in the changelog if it was intentional.

The only other thing I can think of doing is using my soundcard to record the output (under a few different firmware versions), and then using Audacity to invert one of the signals, sum it and look at the differentials.  Assuming there are none, I should end up with a null signal.  Only problem is getting the time to research and set it up properly.  For now, I'm hoping J or J will reply to my PM.

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #11,997 of 19,652

I'm hoping James or Joe can let me know so I can pass it on.  It could be just my hearing (at 47 I'm on that slippery slope 
wink.gif
), but logic says that if they haven't changed any of the codecs, or intentionally tweaked anything, then there is no real SQ change.  And I think they'd have mentioned that in the changelog if it was intentional.

The only other thing I can think of doing is using my soundcard to record the output (under a few different firmware versions), and then using Audacity to invert one of the signals, sum it and look at the differentials.  Assuming there are none, I should end up with a null signal.  Only problem is getting the time to research and set it up properly.  For now, I'm hoping J or J will reply to my PM.

Most of the hard work's already been done for you here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/730848/fiio-x5-firmwares-sound-quality

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #11,999 of 19,652
So what FW do most of ya use? I have mine on 2.0 and liking it so far.

2.20, now going for about 54 hours straight.

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #12,000 of 19,652
So what FW do most of ya use? I have mine on 2.0 and liking it so far.

Tried them all. Sticking with.......... Wait for it.............

2.02beta!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back