The Fiio X5 Thread
Aug 8, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #11,671 of 19,652
I really have no idea, all the tracks play without problems on all my devices!
Syncing in parts could help just loading a song at a time, otherwise, I could never know which is the problematic file...

The art of deduction.

Sync the first 1000. No problem?
Next 1000. No problem?
Next thousand. Problem found?

Sync first 500 of the problematic 1000. Problem found?

Sync first 250 of the 500 problematic tracks.

This way you can find the problematic tracks relatively easy.

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #11,672 of 19,652
Can members who have owned both confirm this ?
I planned to buy an X5 and sell my E17 too...

Yes, this was the plan - however I did read that it didn't sound quite as wonderful as USB DAC than it did using it as DAP source.  But with my 42-year-old ears I bet I can't tell the difference........

I've owned an e17 that I sold because of the X3, and sold the X3 because of the X5. Not simply to fund the upgrade, but because of the SQ upgrade made it redundant to hold on to each piece of gear.

The X5 is a lot better than the e17 IMO. The one and only thing I miss is the hardware based bass/treble control.

As a USB DAC the X5 is very good and sounds pretty much the same as a DAP, with the caveat that not all USB ports are created equal. There is inherent noise in computers and that seeps it's way in to the signal path from quite a few USB ports which can cause hiss, pops, clicks, etc..

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #11,673 of 19,652
I've owned an e17 that I sold because of the X3, and sold the X3 because of the X5. Not simply to fund the upgrade, but because of the SQ upgrade made it redundant to hold on to each piece of gear.

The X5 is a lot better than the e17 IMO. The one and only thing I miss is the hardware based bass/treble control.

As a USB DAC the X5 is very good and sounds pretty much the same as a DAP, with the caveat that not all USB ports are created equal. There is inherent noise in computers and that seeps it's way in to the signal path from quite a few USB ports which can cause hiss, pops, clicks, etc..

OK, that's very clear !

So I will sell my E17 once I get my X5.
Thank you for your explanations :)

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #11,674 of 19,652
I experience a hum on the X5, when i use it as a DAC on my PC. It seems that the headphone ports most outer ring isn't grounded...

Hmmm, the headphone port's outer ring should be signal common, which may not be ground, kind of a nebulous concept here, but it should be at the same potential as ground.
Anyway, it shouldn't hum, makes me wonder if the PC design has a problem!

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #11,675 of 19,652
Hmmm, the headphone port's outer ring should be signal common, which may not be ground, kind of a nebulous concept here, but it should be at the same potential as ground.
Anyway, it shouldn't hum, makes me wonder if the PC design has a problem!

The hum disappears when i touch the case, so it might be a grounding problem with my PC

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #11,676 of 19,652
The hum disappears when i touch the case, so it might be a grounding problem with my PC

That'll be it. We had a massive discussion on this in the Bottlehead Crack thread (I think) recently and it came down to ground issues in the PC. It can be really tricky to find and solve the exact culprit. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #11,677 of 19,652

Yeah man, that's a grounding problem!
If you think about it, most PC manufacturer's were not thinking about you when they design the PC.
And when I say "you", I mean guys like use who want to improve the sound by plugging a fancy DAC into their el cheapo USB port on their computer.

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #11,679 of 19,652
Anybody else having problems with 5 hour long 48khz/16bit FLAC files "not being supported"?

That'll be it. We had a massive discussion on this in the Bottlehead Crack thread (I think) recently and it came down to ground issues in the PC. It can be really tricky to find and solve the exact culprit. 

Yeah man, that's a grounding problem!
If you think about it, most PC manufacturer's were not thinking about you when they design the PC.
And when I say "you", I mean guys like use who want to improve the sound by plugging a fancy DAC into their el cheapo USB port on their computer.

The problem is that all outlets i have, aren't grounded, i'm going to change that when i move (a whole floor down!)

I finally sold my DX50 and D42 and will be buying the X5 very soon, cant wait..

Awesome! You won't regret this :D

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #11,681 of 19,652
Might be a file size issue. Is it bigger than 2GB? For some reason the file size limit on the X3 dropped from 4GB to 2GB with v3 of the firmware so the X5 might have the same limit.

Then that's the problem.

I'll just split the file in half.

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #11,682 of 19,652
Anybody else having problems with 5 hour long 48khz/16bit FLAC files "not being supported"?

The problem is that all outlets i have, aren't grounded, i'm going to change that when i move (a whole floor down!)
Awesome! You won't regret this :D

Hum and ungrounded receptacles:
It usually has more to do with the PC design. Or a bad USB cable.

Keep in mind that many guys run their notebooks right off batteries (not plugged into the wall) and don't have problems with hum.

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #11,683 of 19,652
Hum and ungrounded receptacles:
It usually has more to do with the PC design. Or a bad USB cable.

Keep in mind that many guys run their notebooks right off batteries (not plugged into the wall) and don't have problems with hum.

I will see what i can do to my PC to fix this. Build it myself so i have only myself to blame :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back