The Fiio X5 Thread
Aug 7, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #11,641 of 19,652
32, 64, 128gb doesn't matter. They all update fine with or without music on the the card.

The 32gb blank card recommendation came about before Fiio included the format tool in the device (X3 and then X5) and people were all over the map with formatting software and options which caused Fiio a lot of headache. They spent so much time troubleshooting problems that had more to do with the formatting than the DAP.

Recommended to format cards in the X5 before loading music and you can be sure it'll work every time (unless something is seriously wrong with the unit or card or files).

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #11,642 of 19,652

Oh cripes.  That means I'll be wanting to upgrade my laptop setup so it sounds as good as my portable!  Buying an X5 was supposed to make my portable experience as good as my laptop.  I live on my laptop, inside of Foobar...

Good news. If you buy an X5 you can use it as a USB DAC too and sell your E17!

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #11,643 of 19,652
Fiio has said that the FW is proprietary and will not be release for Rockbox. So unless someone cracks it open it won't happen. This is due to the agreement they have with their FW developer.

Ah I see, I didn't know that this would also restrict other forms of FW modding other than RockBoxing, a pity indeed (somewhat). I am still curious on how the DX50/DX90 users manage to get their modded FW even though there is no release but I guess that's for another thread lol.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #11,644 of 19,652

Ah I see, I didn't know that this would also restrict other forms of FW modding other than RockBoxing, a pity indeed (somewhat). I am still curious on how the DX50/DX90 users manage to get their modded FW even though there is no release but I guess that's for another thread lol.

That's because DX50 / DX90 are running on a stripped down Android. All the developer do is to port the port RB (which already capable of running in Linux / Android) on top of the Android kernel, replacing what iBasso has put in place.

Don't forget RB only supports 16/48 max, and will resample any hi res files down to 16/48. You really are wasting all the high res capability of the DAP by using RB.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #11,645 of 19,652

That's because DX50 / DX90 are running on a stripped down Android. All the developer do is to port the port RB (which already capable of running in Linux / Android) on top of the Android kernel, replacing what iBasso has put in place.

Don't forget RB only supports 16/48 max, and will resample any hi res files down to 16/48. You really are wasting all the high res capability of the DAP by using RB.

Now that makes a bit more sense... But how about the non-RB modded firmwares that I am hearing about?

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #11,646 of 19,652
Now that makes a bit more sense... But how about the non-RB modded firmwares that I am hearing about?

Those are mostly theme based and interface tweaks, but the main functions remain in the proprietary realm.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #11,647 of 19,652

Check out the custom modded FW thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/717947/fiio-x5-custom-modded-firmwares

:rolleyes:

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #11,648 of 19,652

They are down to £59.99p at

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDXC/SanDisk/SanDisk-128GB-Ultra-Android-Micro-SD-%28SDXC%29-Class-10-UHS-1-30MB_s

Reputable company.  No fakes.  I got my two cards from them a few months ago.  I think they were £85 at that time.

@XP_98  They have a branch serving Germany as well.  I'm not sure about France.  http://www.mymemory.de

They deliver to France, and seem to have unbeatable prices !..

Yes, Sandisk for now is the only option. There is a number of fake products around, but as of today, to my best knowledge, Sandisk is the only brand offering 128gb MicroSD cards.

For now I decided to go with 2x 64GB. I'm using Sandisk Ultra which are very reasonably priced and they are definitely fast enough for Fiio. I'll upgrade to 2x 128gb when the price goes down. Current setup was just enough to fit my music library in alacs, not much room left for growth.

Is the X5 now handling files, directories, ... as easily on two µSD cards as on only one ? I thought with two cards you have to rescan the directories at start, and so on... 

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #11,649 of 19,652
Is the X5 now handling files, directories, ... as easily on two µSD cards as on only one ? I thought with two cards you must rescan the directories at start, and so on... 

Only need to scan when adding files. Start up and shutdown do not (never has) required a library scan.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #11,651 of 19,652
Only need to scan when adding files. Start up and shutdown do not (never has) required a library scan.

I thought you have (or had) to scan the directories when you want(ed) to access to whole library if dispatched between two µSD cards...
So you mean there isn't any difference in use (with lastest firmware) between 2x64 GB or 1x128 GB ?

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #11,652 of 19,652
I thought you have (or had) to scan the directories when you want(ed) to access to whole library if dispatched between two µSD cards...
So you mean there isn't any difference in use (with lastest firmware) between 2x64 GB or 1x128 GB ?

When using category view the only time you need to scan the directories is when you add files, even if using two cards.

So yes, you can use one 128gb or two 64gb cards and it makes no difference to category view.

All Files, Album, Artist, Genre (and playlists in beta FW) it all works like you're viewing one library.

When browsing by folder you need to remember which card your files are on on, but that is organization 101.

Edit: I should say you only need to update when you add or delete files.

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #11,653 of 19,652

Good news. If you buy an X5 you can use it as a USB DAC too and sell your E17!

Yes, this was the plan - however I did read that it didn't sound quite as wonderful as USB DAC than it did using it as DAP source.  But with my 42-year-old ears I bet I can't tell the difference...

It should arrive tomorrow but the cards won't arrive until Monday!  Bah.

Tip for UK buyers: I recommend advancedmp3players.co.uk.  If you stick things in your basket and go to leave the site a promo code pops up.  I got 10% off the E17 that way, and l tried it last night when buying the X5 - and a 15% off code popped up.  Also the Fiio leather case is half price at £5 when purchased together. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #11,654 of 19,652

Yes, this was the plan - however I did read that it didn't sound quite as wonderful as USB DAC than it did using it as DAP source.  But with my 42-year-old ears I bet I can't tell the difference...

Can members who have owned both confirm this ?
I planned to buy an X5 and sell my E17 too...

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #11,655 of 19,652

It should arrive tomorrow but the cards won't arrive until Monday!  Bah.

Tip for UK buyers: I recommend advancedmp3players.co.uk.  If you stick things in your basket and go to leave the site a promo code pops up.  I got 10% off the E17 that way, and l tried it last night when buying the X5 - and a 15% off code popped up.  Also the Fiio leather case is half price at £5 when purchased together. 

Why would it be any different? The source is coming from your PC/Mac instead of the player, everything else stays the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back