The Fiio X5 Thread
Aug 7, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #11,626 of 19,652
Hello 

I'm planning to buy next a Fiio X5 (already have ordered a NAD HP50 to pair with it...), and I'm wondering
which 128 GB microSD card models you can use (tested and approuved) with it ?

Thank you for your answers.

As an alternative:
I'm using Lexar, but they are both 64 GB cards.

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #11,627 of 19,652
Forgive me if this has been discussed already....I did a thread search but came up with nothing...

Scrolling through long lists of Artists /.Albums / etc can be quite a chore with the current UI... has there been any word on weather an 'accelerated scrolling' feature is in the works?

Thanks for any insight
Paul

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #11,628 of 19,652
Sandisk. No problems at all.

Edit: I think Sandisk is the only actual 128gb micro SD available.

Yes, Sandisk for now is the only option. There is a number of fake products around, but as of today, to my best knowledge, Sandisk is the only brand offering 128gb MicroSD cards.

For now I decided to go with 2x 64GB. I'm using Sandisk Ultra which are very reasonably priced and they are definitely fast enough for Fiio. I'll upgrade to 2x 128gb when the price goes down. Current setup was just enough to fit my music library in alacs, not much room left for growth.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #11,629 of 19,652
Forgive me if this has been discussed already....I did a thread search but came up with nothing...

Scrolling through long lists of Artists /.Albums / etc can be quite a chore with the current UI... has there been any word on weather an 'accelerated scrolling' feature is in the works?

Thanks for any insight
Paul

sorry not.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #11,630 of 19,652
  Yes, Sandisk for now is the only option. There is a number of fake products around, but as of today, to my best knowledge, Sandisk is the only brand offering 128gb MicroSD cards.

For now I decided to go with 2x 64GB. I'm using Sandisk Ultra which are very reasonably priced and they are definitely fast enough for Fiio. I'll upgrade to 2x 128gb when the price goes down. Current setup was just enough to fit my music library in alacs, not much room left for growth.

They are down to £59.99p at

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDXC/SanDisk/SanDisk-128GB-Ultra-Android-Micro-SD-%28SDXC%29-Class-10-UHS-1-30MB_s

Reputable company.  No fakes.  I got my two cards from them a few months ago.  I think they were £85 at that time.

@XP_98  They have a branch serving Germany as well.  I'm not sure about France.  http://www.mymemory.de

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #11,631 of 19,652
*looks at more threads in Portable Source Gear*

Guys, I am curious about something: Why is it that the DX50/DX90 firmware mods seemed... to be able to affect more parts of the player (e.g. being able to affect the sound and the oft-spoken-too-much RockBox) compared to the X3/X5? (And yes, that is kinda affecting my decision, especially after seeing my friend's modded DX50. It even fixed that touchscreen issue I had!) Is this due to the codebase?

Sidenote: Are there also closed beta programs I can apply for Fiio? Maybe this can help me decide :wink:

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #11,632 of 19,652
Hi all,

I'm thinking about purchasing of X5.

There are three things I'd like to verify before ordering it...
- can I simply copy folder with album from PC to X5?
- will "folder.jpg" placed in the music folder be shown as album art on X5?
- is there a method how to scrobble X5 playback to Last.fm?

Thanks in advance for making these points clear.

Aug 7, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #11,633 of 19,652
*looks at more threads in Portable Source Gear*

Guys, I am curious about something: Why is it that the DX50/DX90 firmware mods seemed... to be able to affect more parts of the player (e.g. being able to affect the sound and the oft-spoken-too-much RockBox) compared to the X3/X5? (And yes, that is kinda affecting my decision, especially after seeing my friend's modded DX50. It even fixed that touchscreen issue I had!) Is this due to the codebase?

Sidenote: Are there also closed beta programs I can apply for Fiio? Maybe this can help me decide :wink:

Fiio has said that the FW is proprietary and will not be release for Rockbox. So unless someone cracks it open it won't happen. This is due to the agreement they have with their FW developer.

Aug 7, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #11,634 of 19,652
Aug 7, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #11,635 of 19,652
Cool!
You should find that the X5 sounds better than the E17,
i.e. if you use the same music file, playing a file off the X5 will sound better than pulling the file off your computer and using the E17 as a DAC.

Oh cripes.  That means I'll be wanting to upgrade my laptop setup so it sounds as good as my portable!  Buying an X5 was supposed to make my portable experience as good as my laptop.  I live on my laptop, inside of Foobar...

..... - is there a method how to scrobble X5 playback to Last.fm?

This is on my wish-list as well, although I know it's not happening.

Higher on my wish-list is Replaygain...

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #11,636 of 19,652
Another question:

Can the firmware be updated with a 64GB card? I plan on buying two until the 128s come a bit cheaper.

I think I remember reading days/pages ago that it was recommended to update firmware with a 32GB card.

Cheers.

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #11,637 of 19,652
  Another question:

Can the firmware be updated with a 64GB card? I plan on buying two until the 128s come a bit cheaper.

I think I remember reading days/pages ago that it was recommended to update firmware with a 32GB card.

Cheers.

I bought a cheap 4Gb for firmware updates only.
Using 2X 64Gb on the player and 2X64Gb as backup.

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #11,638 of 19,652
So I got my X5 yesterday, and it sounds amazing, I like everything about it, except one thing; the 5800 library song limit. It's a huge deal for me, and I read a post that says that feature is supposedly in the works (pushing the library onto the sd card or optimizing it so that more stuff fits on the internal memory), I'd just like to know if that is still officially the plan and will it be out anytime soon at least in a beta version of the software? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back