The Fiio X5 Thread
Aug 4, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #11,611 of 19,652
Hi all!

It's been a while since I've posted here. Just received my X5 firmware v.2.0, today, got it up and running and it sounds great.

First test with a set of Shure SE215-Ks and 48-24 .wav files from Ancient Future's - Archive of Future Ancient Recordings. I'm really liking the X5.

Next test with my Sennheiser HD-580's, Tangent Pimeta v.1 amp and music above. X5 feeding from line out. Fantastic!

I'm currently using one 64 gb card. The Pimeta was built back in 2005 and has been working flawlessly. Also have a Shellbrook Labs Super Mini Moy as a portable amp. Yes, I haven't upgraded much in nine years. :wink:

A couple of questions...

Which lossless format works best with the X5?

What program would be best for cd ripping into lossless formats?

Anything else I need to know about the X5?

Thanks for any help.

Ski

I've had no issues using ALAC.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #11,612 of 19,652
CH23, thanks for the reply.

The X5 interface is pretty intuitive. So no issues.

The copying to the micro SD was done straight from the PC. Never met a device that had any speed through usb. :)

Gonna go hunt down EAC now and check it out.

Ski

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #11,614 of 19,652
EAC is alright however my preference is dbpoweramp. I don't mind throwing the developer a few bones every couple of years or so. Ogg has lossless now?

I thought ogg was a lossless format, i don't use it at all, and i could be wrong

According to wikipedia it's a container for, amongs others, .flac.

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #11,615 of 19,652
EAC is alright however my preference is dbpoweramp. I don't mind throwing the developer a few bones every couple of years or so. Ogg has lossless now?

+1 on dbPoweramp! I ripped 900 CDs with EAC, never used again once I tried dbPoweramp.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #11,616 of 19,652
Mike,
How do you feel the DAC compares to the dacport?

Choonyfish,
I am not disappointed at all with the DAC in the X5 it and Fiio have exceeded my expectations and have converted an iBasso fan.

Cool. And I still have the E17 which I'm very happy with anyway.  Me not having any high-end gear to compare to helps anyway!

I own the K550's and use them with the X5/e12 combo with bass boost on. It's a fantastic pairing this way. The sound is clear with good bass body to it. I also used to own the e17 and I can tell you that the X5/e12 combo trounces it.

I'm sold!  IPod is on eBay.  (And I'm selling some vinyl to get the E12 & stacking kit - really don't want to part with the E17; can use that for work.)

Thanks guys - can't wait...

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #11,617 of 19,652
Cool. And I still have the E17 which I'm very happy with anyway.  Me not having any high-end gear to compare to helps anyway!

I'm sold!  IPod is on eBay.  (And I'm selling some vinyl to get the E12 & stacking kit - really don't want to part with the E17; can use that for work.)

Thanks guys - can't wait...

Cool!
You should find that the X5 sounds better than the E17,
i.e. if you use the same music file, playing a file off the X5 will sound better than pulling the file off your computer and using the E17 as a DAC.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #11,619 of 19,652

I also use exclusively alac.  I found DBPoweramp to be just fine to use for ripping to a wide choice of formats.  They're coming out with Mac versions I believe.

Mac version? Say whaaaat??? Link, please 
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #11,623 of 19,652
Hello 

I'm planning to buy next a Fiio X5 (already have ordered a NAD HP50 to pair with it...), and I'm wondering
which 128 GB microSD card models you can use (tested and approuved) with it ?

Thank you for your answers.

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #11,624 of 19,652
Hello 

I'm planning to buy next a Fiio X5 (already have ordered a NAD HP50 to pair with it...), and I'm wondering
which 128 GB microSD card models you can use (tested and approuved) with it ?

Thank you for your answers.

Sandisk. No problems at all.

Edit: I think Sandisk is the only actual 128gb micro SD available.

Aug 7, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #11,625 of 19,652

Sandisk. No problems at all.

Edit: I think Sandisk is the only actual 128gb micro SD available.

Thank you for your answer... then the choice should be easy ! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back