The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 13, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #10,966 of 19,652
How does it fare with IEM's? I assume it would sound fantastic with larger on ears and over ears, but IEM's would be my primary concern with any good portable amp

Use it with IEMs all the time. It sounds great! I especially like it that I can roll buffer/opamps and give a different sound signature whenever I want.

The volume pot doesn't have channel imbalance at low volumes like some other amps I've tried, so I can use it with low impedance, high sensitivity IEMs without issues.

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #10,968 of 19,652
How does it fare with IEM's? I assume it would sound fantastic with larger on ears and over ears, but IEM's would be my primary concern with any good portable amp

It's really great for IEMs, or at least with my GR10’s

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #10,969 of 19,652
Wasn't this just what was being discussed? Look back a few posts E12 or C5 are good pairings.

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #10,970 of 19,652
What are some of the portable headphone amplifiers which can significantly improve Fiio X5's sound quality?
Can you guys recommend me some, especially ones with 1/4 inch headphone out? 
Thanks!

Pretty generic question. It all depends on what headphones/earphones you need to drive and the sound signature you're looking for.

Some suggestions are......

Good luck finding a portable amp with 1/4 headphone out.

Maybe look in to this transportable option.....

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #10,971 of 19,652
Pretty generic question. It all depends on what headphones/earphones you need to drive and the sound signature you're looking for.

Some suggestions are......

Good luck finding a portable amp with 1/4 headphone out.

Maybe look in to this transportable option.....

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm currently using Shure SRH 1840. I think this headphone is better than HD650. It's the best I've ever heard in this price range.

I'm a big classical, soundtrack, newage, electronic, rock music fan. I'm looking for a detailed, 3D-like sound stage that will be able to play some 24bit/192 KHZ symphonies and soundtracks in FLAC. I want to hear every section of the orchestra like I'm right in front of the stage.
I know all of these models. But, I wonder if they can truly make X5 sound significantly better.
I had used Sony PHA-2 with my iPod Classic and iBasso's R10 before. Honestly, I thought PHA-2 portable amplifier didn't improve sound from either of the units.
iBasso's R10 sounds better without PHA-2. iPod Classic sounds the same with PHA-2. It was shocking to me because I paid 450 dollars for PHA-2.

I'm very interested in Vorzuge Pure II amplifier. Do you think it will make X5 sound as good as AK240? What kind of DAC Chip is it using? Sabre?

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #10,972 of 19,652
E12 DIY. Pairs well out of the box. Pairs even better once you start playing with buffer/opamp combinations and find just the right one for you!

+1....its universal + customizable. Both combined in a single package with different opamp & buf to fiddle around,to get the juicy juice out of it.

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #10,973 of 19,652
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm currently using Shure SRH 1840. I think this headphone is better than HD650. It's the best I've ever heard in this price range.

I'm a big classical, soundtrack, newage, electronic, rock music fan. I'm looking for a detailed, 3D-like sound stage that will be able to play some 24bit/192 KHZ symphonies and soundtracks in FLAC. I want to hear every section of the orchestra like I'm right in front of the stage.
I know all of these models. But, I wonder if they can truly make X5 sound significantly better.
I had used Sony PHA-2 with my iPod Classic and iBasso's R10 before. Honestly, I thought PHA-2 portable amplifier didn't improve sound from either of the units.
iBasso's R10 sounds better without PHA-2. iPod Classic sounds the same with PHA-2. It was shocking to me because I paid 450 dollars for PHA-2.

I'm very interested in Vorzuge Pure II amplifier. Do you think it will make X5 sound as good as AK240? What kind of DAC Chip is it using? Sabre?

As far as the detail retrieval is concerned that all comes down to the DAC and a transparent amp section. The implementation of the PCM1792 DAC in the X5 has been noted to be very close to the AK240 (dual Cirrus Logic CS4398), and hits way above its price. It can play 24/192 FLAC files with ease and also plays DSD (not native, converted to PCM). For a DAC the X5 has it going on!

For the amp I find the X5 to be underpowered for my headphones. I like to get the dynamics really moving and prefer a more powerful amp so I pair it with the e12. This is good enough for me and I love the combo, but I know there may be better solutions out there. With the specs of 65 oHm impedance on the 1840 and an efficiency rating of 96db it sounds like you also would prefer an external amp. The Vorzuge Pure ii reportedly sounds great and has good synergy with the X5. The e12 is more powerful and very transparent with a great bass boost. Perhaps Duncan will chime in as he has had both and has stated that he prefers the Vorzamp.

I might also add the ifi iCan-Nano to the list if you're looking for a 3D like soundstage. Their 3D holographicSound setting has had rave reviews and apparently is pretty impressive, as is their Xbass toggle.

The biggest benefit of the AK240, strictly speaking of SQ, over the X5 to me (other than UI) is the balanced output. The only thing in the above list that'll do balanced out with the X5 is the Chord Hugo with its coaxial input. However we're now talking about $2500.

Edit: Just to be clear the Vorzuge Pure ii does not have a DAC in case that's what you were asking. IMO you won't find a better DAC implementation than on the X5 anywhere close to its price.

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #10,974 of 19,652
As far as the detail retrieval is concerned that all comes down to the DAC and a transparent amp section. The implementation of the PCM1792 DAC in the X5 has been noted to be very close to the AK240 (dual Cirrus Logic CS4398), and hits way above its price. It can play 24/192 FLAC files with ease and also plays DSD (not native, converted to PCM). For a DAC the X5 has it going on!

For the amp I find the X5 to be underpowered for my headphones. I like to get the dynamics really moving and prefer a more powerful amp so I pair it with the e12. This is good enough for me and I love the combo, but I know there may be better solutions out there. With the specs of 65 oHm impedance on the 1840 and an efficiency rating of 96db it sounds like you also would prefer an external amp. The Vorzuge Pure ii reportedly sounds great and has good synergy with the X5. The e12 is more powerful and very transparent with a great bass boost. Perhaps Duncan will chime in as he has had both and has stated that he prefers the Vorzamp.

I might also add the ifi iCan-Nano to the list if you're looking for a 3D like soundstage. Their 3D holographicSound setting has had rave reviews and apparently is pretty impressive, as is their Xbass toggle.

The biggest benefit of the AK240, strictly speaking of SQ, over the X5 to me (other than UI) is the balanced output. The only thing in the above list that'll do balanced out with the X5 is the Chord Hugo with its coaxial input. However we're now talking about $2500.

Edit: Just to be clear the Vorzuge Pure ii does not have a DAC in case that's what you were asking. IMO you won't find a better DAC implementation than on the X5 anywhere close to its price.

Awesome. Thanks!

E12 and Nano iCan seem to be a perfect solution for me. I will try both. They aren't that expensive.
I really like iFi Nano iCan. It has 1/4 jack and all features I want. I didn't know if this kind of product exist. Thanks again for the info!
Have a great day. 

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #10,975 of 19,652
Just tested the android DAC thing: did not work for me out of the box with my HTC One (M7).
One more nice thing i just found out: the pins delivered with the X5 are actually proteciot caps for the 1/8" outputs :)

Thanks for testing that for me! I'm doubting that my Nexus 5 will work with USB audio after I did some research. Turns out that I would have to change to Cyanogenmod 11 to get USB audio. Rooting and installing CM11 just seems like a hassle right now.

I work a couple of blocks from there and I've spent a good portion of my spare time hanging with Travis and spending too much money. :D

I'm going to be heading out to B.C. for summer vacation some time soon. Hopefully I'll have the time to head out to Vancouver and see the store for myself! From what I hear based on reviews, Travis is really helpful and doesn't push on purchases at all. Would really love to audition some of the headphones there as well!

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #10,976 of 19,652
I'm going to be heading out to B.C. for summer vacation some time soon. Hopefully I'll have the time to head out to Vancouver and see the store for myself! From what I hear based on reviews, Travis is really helpful and doesn't push on purchases at all. Would really love to audition some of the headphones there as well!

HA! I'm from Alberta (Edmonton) and transplanted myself here 20 years ago. I like the climate much more, but it's very expensive (B.C. stands for 'bring cash')! :eek:

If you end up at the Headphone Bar be prepared to spend some cash. :D

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #10,977 of 19,652
  after owning the X5 for about 3 months now I have finally gotten around to listening via the LO 

[snip]

I paired it with the Meier Stepdance and my old IE80's  and was gobsmacked with the improvement in SQ. Much more clarity and definition than the HO, the words crystal clear and authoritative best describe it for me.  

[snip]

Also tried with my HD800's and it drove them very well but a little bright for my liking. 

Overall a very pleasant discovery !

beerchug.gif

The iBasso PB2 Pelican (balanced out, equipped with LME49990 and dummy buffers) lends a little assistance to the X5's PCM1792A DAC in taming the HD800 brightness, with very little, if any, smoothing of treble detail (relative to the Stepdance).

guys what do you think a good amp pairing with fiio x5?

For which headphones?  For the Shure SRH 1840?  (I'm not familiar with it, unfortunately.)

What are some of the portable headphone amplifiers which can significantly improve Fiio X5's sound quality?
Can you guys recommend me some, especially ones with 1/4 inch headphone out? 
Thanks!

First, the amp has to have a big reputation as being transparent or you'll be taking a step backwards from what the X5 Line Out is delivering.

Having satisfied that criteria, you can match the amp's power and neutrality (or lack of neutrality) to your choice of headphones.

[snip]

The Sony PHA-2 only puts out 90mW rms into 16-Ohms - its amp is pitifully weak - but potentially nice with the most efficient IEMs and headphones.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back