The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 25, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #10,651 of 19,652
Just got my X5 yesterday, used it pretty much all day today until the battery ran out on my commute home (a good four hours better than my HDP-R10) and the SQ is fantastic. My only issue is that so far, it doesn't seem able to sort by track number, whether I'm browsing through folders or actually going through the artist-album-song style of browsing, it only lists alphabetically. This is fine for the most part, most of my music is already numbered in the file names, but on a few albums it's not, just with the track number in the tags, and I'm not sure if the X5 can't see it, or if it can and just doesn't sort by track number. Anyone have a solution to this? (apologies if it's been mentioned before)

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #10,652 of 19,652
The initial reason I used an external amp was for the LCD-2 which the X5 internal amp couldn't push the drivers well enough to get the dynamics right. With the e12 it sounds good.

With the XC I can hear how much cleaner the X5 line out is to an external amp compared to the X5 amp even when the external amp is at a lower volume. I prefer the external amp for the clarity, not power with the XC.

And yes, I like to use this setup often as I can be mobile and still enjoy my music around the house. And no, I don't walk around outside with my Audeze cans.

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #10,653 of 19,652

Referring back to my post on the previous page, the really big deal about getting files from a PS3 is that up until that point there was no way to get DSD files from a SACD. As of now, is still is the only way to retrieve DSD files from SACDs. 

Either way, I don't think it's that big of a deal to have the actual DSD files. If I understand it correctly the X5 converts DSD to PCM internally, which only uses more CPU and wastes battery. What is really great about SACDs is that they are mastered differently, with more attention to quality. So if you're pulling PCM off of a SACD, it will definitely sound better than the "normal" CD, and I'm sure we could start a debate on if it sounds inferior to the DSD file. 

I think you are right about the sound quality of SACDs and DSDs vs. the PCM file. The best SQ I've gotten so far has been from PCMs, wave files and flacs, so I'm gonna stay with them. Thanks for your report, bro.

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #10,655 of 19,652
  Just got my X5 yesterday, used it pretty much all day today until the battery ran out on my commute home (a good four hours better than my HDP-R10) and the SQ is fantastic. My only issue is that so far, it doesn't seem able to sort by track number, whether I'm browsing through folders or actually going through the artist-album-song style of browsing, it only lists alphabetically. This is fine for the most part, most of my music is already numbered in the file names, but on a few albums it's not, just with the track number in the tags, and I'm not sure if the X5 can't see it, or if it can and just doesn't sort by track number. Anyone have a solution to this? (apologies if it's been mentioned before)

How would you compare sound quality of X5 to that of R10??
I've heard R10 is better. I'd like to hear your opinion.

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #10,656 of 19,652
How would you compare sound quality of X5 to that of R10??
I've heard R10 is better. I'd like to hear your opinion.

Through my UM Miracle's, I've so far found the X5 actually has slightly more detail and extension in some songs. The big advantage of the R10 is when you're using high impedance cans, that's when it shines. I've yet to test the X5 with my full library though, when I do I'll try to write a review

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #10,657 of 19,652
Hi, just received my X5 today directly in China (taking it back with me to Europe in a couple of months), falshed to 2.0 and so far, I am absolutely happy with it. I may not have as many different stuff as some of you guys, but for my purposes as Notebook DAC, HighQ stationari-ish DAP with mostly mp3 files it suits just fine. Currently listening to my music as DAC with TF10, works splendid. Quite a remarkable difference to my Cowon D2, J3 and... X5 (yeah, the one with the interesting control stick and 60gb harddrive). So it is kind of a remeniscence towards my first nice piece of portable audio equpment. Later I will give it a go at my Denon AH-D600 and see if it can improve those as well.

Thanks FiiO for this really nice peace of hardware :)

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #10,658 of 19,652
  Hi, just received my X5 today directly in China (taking it back with me to Europe in a couple of months), falshed to 2.0 and so far, I am absolutely happy with it. I may not have as many different stuff as some of you guys, but for my purposes as Notebook DAC, HighQ stationari-ish DAP with mostly mp3 files it suits just fine. Currently listening to my music as DAC with TF10, works splendid. Quite a remarkable difference to my Cowon D2, J3 and... X5 (yeah, the one with the interesting control stick and 60gb harddrive). So it is kind of a remeniscence towards my first nice piece of portable audio equpment. Later I will give it a go at my Denon AH-D600 and see if it can improve those as well.

Thanks FiiO for this really nice peace of hardware :)

Yeah, with the TF10, it should have great synergy and make a noticeable difference.  TF10 needs a source that makes the sound more controlled.

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #10,659 of 19,652

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/10620#post_10659773 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED]

Thanks, elwappo,
I wouldn't buy a Playstation just for that purpose, but if I find someone who has one, I will try to arrange use for that purpose.
Also, I thought the DSD file was the one you got in an SACD hybrid issue when a special player was not used, I'm confused. If not, then what file did I get when I transferred from cd to laptop? I suppose it would be just a regular wave file, right?

If I understand it all correctly, only a few playstations can play SACD. Of those, you need a specific hardware version. Of those you need one that has a specific firmware, because Sony realized what was happening, and quickly patched the system to prevent it. 

I believe that if you are getting any files off of a hybrid SACD from a computer drive, you are taking PCM encoded files, encoded in redbook (16/44.1), not the DSD (24/88). So pretty much you're just getting a CD from it. 

Just wanted to point out that DSD is 1bit/2.8MHz, not 24bit/88kHz. :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 27, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #10,660 of 19,652
I here schiit audio has a dad decoder for 150 dollars it's called Loki, perhaps you cox use this instead of said player?

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #10,661 of 19,652
So I was playing about the with X5 in DAC mode today and yesterday, having fun with different sources and different settings: accidentally opened winamp with the EQ on, and all of a sudden.... double EQ.

It wasn't ideal, running the sound through 2 sets of EQ (clipping ahoy). However, one thing that did strike me as beneficial was that all of a sudden the bass had come back. I have quite bass heavy headphones (Klipsch X11 + Beyerdynamic CP1), and listening to dance music generally sucks without an E12 to boost those lower frequencies to give that 'oomph' that seems to be lacking on the X5. Considering that all it would take is to incease the EQ range from +/-6db to perhaps +/-12db (even +/-18db for the extremists), and both my headphones require no amplification (rated at 32Ω and 16Ω respectively), it seems like a massive waste to buy a £120 piece of kit when all the firmware needs is a little update to increase that EQ range.

As I mentioned before, it's not really needed for a majority of music. I listen to a very wide range of genres and I find that pissing about with the EQ can sometimes ruin the experience considerably. But when it comes to dance (not specificially EDM), it needs a boost in the low and highs for a good solid thump to keep the track alive. I've noticed there are some default settings when taking apart the firmware, but have no idea what they do (or even if you can push them past the UI's 6db limit). Would be interesting to see if it's feasibly possible for the firmware to go a little further.

Jun 27, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #10,662 of 19,652
So I was playing about the with X5 in DAC mode today and yesterday, having fun with different sources and different settings: accidentally opened winamp with the EQ on, and all of a sudden.... double EQ.

It wasn't ideal, running the sound through 2 sets of EQ (clipping ahoy). However, one thing that did strike me as beneficial was that all of a sudden the bass had come back. I have quite bass heavy headphones (Klipsch X11 + Beyerdynamic CP1), and listening to dance music generally sucks without an E12 to boost those lower frequencies to give that 'oomph' that seems to be lacking on the X5. Considering that all it would take is to incease the EQ range from +/-6db to perhaps +/-12db (even +/-18db for the extremists), and both my headphones require no amplification (rated at 32Ω and 16Ω respectively), it seems like a massive waste to buy a £120 piece of kit when all the firmware needs is a little update to increase that EQ range.

As I mentioned before, it's not really needed for a majority of music. I listen to a very wide range of genres and I find that pissing about with the EQ can sometimes ruin the experience considerably. But when it comes to dance (not specificially EDM), it needs a boost in the low and highs for a good solid thump to keep the track alive. I've noticed there are some default settings when taking apart the firmware, but have no idea what they do (or even if you can push them past the UI's 6db limit). Would be interesting to see if it's feasibly possible for the firmware to go a little further.

You could make -6dB the baseline for all your other sliders, that would give you 12dB room for bass boost. Just sayin' :cool:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 27, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #10,664 of 19,652
This is probably not the right thread to ask but the shuffle function on fwv2.02(b?) isn't true shuffle, correct?

It seems pre-determined track order...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back