The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 17, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #10,488 of 19,652
Hey guys - I'm new to head-fi, but have used it as a reference for a long time.  I just received my X5 and two 128GB Micro SD cards today; I updated the X5 to v2.05 beta and I'm currently loading music onto the cars.  The vast majority of my music is FLAC; just wondered if anyone knew if there was a max # of songs allowed now that larger cards are supported?

Thanks,

Praz

Beta v2.05 is already out?

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #10,489 of 19,652
Jun 17, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #10,491 of 19,652
Could you share if there are any differences between 2.02 and the 2.00? In terms of appearance and functionality?

The appearance is the same but the artist category has a new sub category to play all songs by the artist, and it works perfectly. Also, the bass seems to be improved.

You can find out all the changes in the first post of this thread as well as various impressions here

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #10,493 of 19,652
Can anyone tell me if there's a bugzilla or anything from FiiO about the fact (as of v2.0) that you can't boot the E5 while it's plugged into a charger?
Having to unplug the charger just to wake it up then plugging it straight back in is... getting old. More to the point it's sure to wear down/damage the socket eventually. Thanks.

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #10,494 of 19,652
On one hand, I feel it's wise for me to lower my expectations about what kind of improvements I should look for in future X5 firmware updates. While several features are being "worked on", I've been seeing frequent statements along the lines of "Sorry, the device is limited, we can't do that."

On the other hand, I see the vast improvement to the X3 from the new firmware, and I feel like FiiO's engineers are capable of performing some more magic with this device.

It's been a couple of months now and I'm still in love with its sound quality. 2.02 is certainly a step in the right direction. I only hope we'll see many of the most sought-after enhancements come in the next weeks and months.

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #10,496 of 19,652
Well my X5 just shut itself off again. I was listening to a 48/24 song at like 70 volume on low gain, and it just shut itself off like it did when I had it a bit too loud. This wasn't even remotely loud this time so I'm thinking I'm going to have to send it back. I'm not sure what the issue is and I can't always replicate the problem. Has anyone else experience something like this?

EDIT: I suppose it's possible that there's some problem with the songs I'm listening to. I've found one song that causes the X5 to either shut off or skip to the next song every single time. Is there some program I could use to analyze the song itself to see if there's some extreme problem with it that would cause the X5 to malfunction at the hardware level? X5 has skipped a few of them in this album (Lord of the Rings Complete Recordings DVD-Audio) but I can't get it to do that consistently every time. I ripped them with DVD-A Extractor a few years ago and haven't really ever had any trouble playing them on my PC though.

EDIT 2: It does seem like the issue was that the FLAC was corrupted, as found by AudioTester. I'm going to see if it's corrupted on my hard drive to confirm.

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #10,497 of 19,652
  Well my X5 just shut itself off again. I was listening to a 48/24 song at like 70 volume on low gain, and it just shut itself off like it did when I had it a bit too loud. This wasn't even remotely loud this time so I'm thinking I'm going to have to send it back. I'm not sure what the issue is and I can't always replicate the problem. Has anyone else experience something like this?

I am trying to keep the payer on continuous play at night for burn in but it shuts down after an 2 hours or so. It is plugged in to the charger while playing. Hopefully 2.02 upgrade will solve this.

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #10,498 of 19,652
I download a program called AudioTester from vuplayer and ran the file that had issues through it. This was the message I received:

So I'm going to just assume that the FLAC file was corrupted and that's the whole reason why the X5 crashed on the song/skipped it? I have absolutely no clue how this file got messed up but it sure looks like that's the case.

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #10,500 of 19,652

I am trying to keep the payer on continuous play at night for burn in but it shuts down after an 2 hours or so. It is plugged in to the charger while playing. Hopefully 2.02 upgrade will solve this.

I find that the connection is a bit shoddy.  Sometimes I think I'm connected to the usb port but I'm actually not and I gotta shake it a little or reconnect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back