The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 2, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #10,081 of 19,652
I'm using Class 10 Gskill 64GBx2 I bought from newegg.ca for $30 each. That Sandisk is double the price per GB!
I'm not sure I'd be comfortable paying an extra $131 convenience fee for having 128x2 vs 64x4.
That's also a risk failure of 120GB+ at once. Wouldn't it be better rotating 64's?

Would be, but I'm lazy and I like to spend money :D. I already have 64gb cards but I can use them in my camera gear as well so it's a no brainier for me.

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #10,082 of 19,652
I think that Sandisk's 64GB mSDs have the best cost-risk-benefit equation right now. Music you seldom listen to can be stored in their own mSD, leaving the 2 main ones with the music you actually want to have in your player all the time. 128GB of music, even in FLAC, is a lot of music.

Besides, the 5800 file limit of the current X5 firmware can/will cause usability issues with the 128GB mSDs.

Music I seldom listen to stays on my NAS. Everything I enjoy I like to transfer to the cards(s) and rotate in and out with USB as mood dictates. Same effort for me to plug in USB to the computer or remove card. I'd rather not open and close the card covers as well as I question their durability. This is how I prefer to do it but in no way the only means to an end. I also doubt I'll fill the card with lossless music, but at least I have the headroom, and I doubt I'll get to 5800.

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #10,083 of 19,652
Music I seldom listen to stays on my NAS. Everything I enjoy I like to transfer to the cards(s) and rotate in and out with USB as mood dictates. Same effort for me to plug in USB to the computer or remove card. I'd rather not open and close the card covers as well as I question their durability. This is how I prefer to do it but in no way the only means to an end. I also doubt I'll fill the card with lossless music, but at least I have the headroom, and I doubt I'll get to 5800.

You have a point, and it's a good one. I just don't think that 128GB mSD cards are a good buy at the actual prices, but everyone is free of disposing of their income as they see it fit.

In the States, it can be argued that the easy of returns and the warranties are so good that the possibility of a card going bad is not so important. But mSD cards do go bad frequently, and the higher byte-density makes the 128GB cards a question mark in terms of reliability. Time will tell, of course.

I have 3.300 FLAC songs on my 2x64GB cards, with a few GBs of empty space. I would certainly not be able to fully use 2x128GB cards until FiiO fixes that particular firmware limitation.

The more-headroom-just-in-case buying method is tempting, and I sometimes let myself be driven by that logic. This time, I'll wait for the 128GB mSD cards to go down to the lower 70s before I buy a couple.

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #10,084 of 19,652
You have a point, and it's a good one. I just don't think that 128GB mSD cards are a good buy at the actual prices, but everyone is free of disposing of their income as they see it fit.

In the States, it can be argued that the easy of returns and the warranties are so good that the possibility of a card going bad is not so important. But mSD cards do go bad frequently, and the higher byte-density makes the 128GB cards a question mark in terms of reliability. Time will tell, of course.

I have 3.300 FLAC songs on my 2x64GB cards, with a few GBs of empty space. I would certainly not be able to fully use 2x128GB cards until FiiO fixes that particular firmware limitation.

The more-headroom-just-in-case buying method is tempting, and I sometimes let myself be driven by that logic. This time, I'll wait for the 128GB mSD cards to go down to the lower 70s before I buy a couple.

I hear ya, and it'll be a loooong time before they come down to the 70s up here (US has a lot of perks for consumers). I only bought one card btw. And, as I mentioned, I can use them for photography as well and my corporation pays for that. Win win!

Also, in Canada, until recently, the 64gb cards were around $100 whenever I looked for one. So I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I think it's funny seeing all the different OTG appendages hanging out of the X5 and I'd never use it, but again to each their own.

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #10,085 of 19,652
I now have 3 Sandisk 128GB microSDXC cards including one I haven't even opened yet. (I am waiting for the 5300 file limit to expire). I hope they don't release 256Gbv versions anytime soon.

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #10,088 of 19,652
Has anyone tried to connect a portable hard drive to the X5? Specifically a 500GB-2TB hard drive?

They already said it int the firmware release page that portable hardware is not supported due to excessive power draw.

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #10,090 of 19,652
Wouldn't special OTG cables and a portable battery charger connected to the hard drive work

It also depends on whether the chipset inside the portable hard drive is capable of working on such condition or not, I think.

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #10,091 of 19,652
I had the honor to hear both side by side the X3 & X5 with my b&w p7 -

X3 turns the p7 into like open headphones very clean sound but the UI is TERRIBLE

X5 turns the p7 into a close very close headphones with a very deep dark back ground and clean sound reminds me in some way the beats studio 2014 sound..

For me personaly Sony's z walkman 'falls' between the two of the X's means that sony z walkman has both sound from everyone of them with a greater soundstage and sony here is a winner, for me at least but only if it is connect to fiio e11

the fiio x's are great in their way but still i am going with the sony's walkman

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #10,095 of 19,652

Why not put a backpack loaded with an auto battery, necessary transformers, and let us not forget safety equipment.  To this combo add that 2gb drive.........Seriously, how tough is it ti change out a micro sd.
Have a nice day!

Do any one know if the micro USB port puts out enough power to run a 2.5 external?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back