The Fiio X5 Thread
May 31, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #10,036 of 19,652
first of all, thank you all guys.
second, I think that headroom site has a misinformation about dt880 sensitivity. I think that dt880's sensitivity is 96 db/mw but the headphone.com state it 96 db/v

Quote:
  ^ I could say that X5 isnt enough to power a 250ohm to your desired level you definitely need an external amp for that

My Q701(62ohms) runs pretty quiet even even in 100 vol in X5

according to what I know, your HP's sensitivity is 92.92 db/mw. it is less than dt880. Considering both its less sensitivity and its very lower impedance (62 ohms), we can see that q701 demands a lot of its needed power in the form of current. according to some power calculator that I've found on web, q701 needs 1 (V rms) and 16.13 (mA rms) to reach 105 db spl but dt880 needs 1.41 (V rms) and 5.64 (mA rms). Maybe there is a current limiter on output stage of X5's amp. I dont know  
size]
.     Remember that portable daps are more relaxed to produce voltage rather than current   
biggrin.gif

I think we need some information here from Fiio.

When I had the tour unit, I tested a lot with the DT880 250 ohm, and at high gain with no EQ, there was sufficient headroom left to drive them well enough for me.  I also noticed no loss of fidelity using the X5 with the DT880.  This could depend on the dynamic range of your music, and your normal  listening volume though.  And using EQ does drop the overall volume by 6dB. 

I have no intention of getting an add-on amp for mine when it arrives though.  I thought it drove both the DT880 (250 ohm) and HD600 (300 ohm) rather well by itself.

I think that if I use dt880 with X5, I will do it with my pc. Where a eq software (AIXcoustic Creations Electri-Q) is available.
biggrin.gif

Currently I'm using X5 with my westone 4r + 75 ohm adapter. in some situations I need to turn up volume to near 100 (low gain of course)
  I am driving the 600 ohm T1s right now on high gain at volume 80 and it's plenty loud enough for my tastes. I'm not sure the sensitivity differences between the DT880 and T1, but there should be sufficient power for DT880.

The quality of the sound with the T1s is surprisingly good too. Easily on par or better than what I used to get with the RWAK100.

Its impedance curve seems so crazy (according to innerfidelity graph). It goes up to 1400 ohms around 100 hz frequency  
eek.gif
 . But it is fairly easy to drive.
bigsmile_face.gif
1.67 v rms and 1.19 ma rms to reach 105 db spl

May 31, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #10,037 of 19,652
May 31, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #10,038 of 19,652
I don't know if it was this week but it's definitively recent so it'll be sometime before we can see something new soon though. The most annoying limitation and Joe mentioned that there is a possible fix for that is the 5.8k files limit, with128GB card it's already easy to reach just on a single card. I am optimistic that they are currently working on solution for a next release hopefully.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #10,043 of 19,652
Using sensitive IEMs (DITAs) the X5/E12 isn't a great match after all. I like the X5 because it is a great amp and I like the BB once in a while, I just don't like the noisefloor/hiss when paired with the DITAs. Looking for alternatives now, which would fit the HS6 kit and have Bass Boost and gain switch. Would the JDS labs C5 be a good alternative?

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #10,044 of 19,652
First make sure your X5 has been burned in for at least 40 consecutive hours, secondly the SE215 is Shure bottom tier earphones. I have two pairs including the SE215 limited edition, blue in color and with bass tuning, that already sounds pretty good but the best at this stage for me is the SE535 and the X5, that sounds much better detail wise. I noticed that as your player gets better, better earphones help revealing details. I find the SE535 a very good synergy with the X5 but heard that the SE846 is even better. If you can afford the SE846 then all the better otherwise even with the SE535 you'll be very happy.

So in conclusion let your player burn in first, it'll improve as it matures.

[COLOR=545454]Thank[/COLOR][COLOR=545454] you so much for the speedy reply.[/COLOR]
Why first make sure my X5 has been burned in for at least 40 consecutive hours?!  That means more than 40 hours Device is turned on! and play music aloud? or ...  what impact would this have?

It does not matter how you burn in your player, it's that it is connected to a load and cumulate that many hours, I burned mine by just using it every day and evening for a whole week and I witnessed a transformation.

As far as how that matters, any circuitry, in particular caps need some burn in to be effective. You can go online and search the web for electronic burn in and judge by yourself, the only thing you need to do is to have an open mind and try the advice. If it does not work than no harm done, go return your player. Try different phones, volume and gain to see if there is a particular configuration that works well for you. I would also not strike out the use of an amp with the player. I find myself that because of commuting in public places, the sq is not as important as when I am either at my work desk or at home where quietness emphasizes good sq. I run my players with an amp when quietly listening to music and want to capture every available detail. The setup below has not been beaten (including the DX90, both give the same outstanding results because the dac out are about the same, the amp just can't be beaten) to date, the amp has a lot to do with it.

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #10,045 of 19,652
Guys I just received my Fiio HS7 case in the mail. I ordered it on EBay. I have a few concerns, is it fake? The Fiio logo seems to be off centered compared to the logo on pictures that I seen of the HS7 online. It also has a disturbing "smokey" smell. Any

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #10,046 of 19,652
Guys I just received my Fiio HS6 case in the mail. I ordered it on EBay. I have a few concerns, is it fake? The Fiio logo seems to be off centered compared to the logo on pictures that I seen of the HS6 online. It also has a disturbing "smokey" smell. Any help?

try to check using the sticker scratch it and go to FiiO's website to check it

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #10,047 of 19,652
Guys I just received my Fiio HS6 case in the mail. I ordered it on EBay. I have a few concerns, is it fake? The Fiio logo seems to be off centered compared to the logo on pictures that I seen of the HS6 online. It also has a disturbing "smokey" smell. Any help?
Pictures?

On the box, top right in my case, is the FiiO scratch for authenticity panel, does yours have that, and - does it come up good on FiiO's website?

Jun 1, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #10,050 of 19,652
  Hey guys!
how does X5 drive dt880 250ohm? does X5 drive it to the sufficient level (in term of loudness and performance)?
I'm not a believer in huge improvements and I mostly listen to rock/metal songs which haven't very good recording/masternig quality. So answer me as objectively as you can 
wink.gif

thank you all in advance

I just tried my DT880 600 ohm version, and it goes loud enough for listening to my music around volume 86 on high gain (max is 120). I think X5 should have enough driving power for your 250 ohm to go loud enough. X5 should not lose performance until around volume 109 on high gain mode, where it starts running out of juice. You will probably be deaf by then.

DT880 would benefit from a bigger headphone amp with high voltage and a lot of instantaneous current supply (big capacitors, high drain transistors, etc), which is tough to achieve on any portable DAPs running on batteries, but X5 would be one of the better ones at handling these tasks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back