The Fiio X5 Thread
May 30, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #10,006 of 19,652
I am loving it. The black background everyone mentions must be experienced to be understood.

Only brief time with the SGs although now that you've mentioned them, I'm walking downstairs to grab em
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy...I switch off between my Turbulent X build, my SR80 pinks in Blackwood and (don't laugh) and pair of Yuin PK3, and get immense satisfaction from all three...going to be trying a pair of Zero Audio Carbo Tenore when they come in...

May 30, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #10,007 of 19,652
Enjoy...I switch off between my Turbulent X build, my SR80 pinks in Blackwood and (don't laugh) and pair of Yuin PK3, and get immense satisfaction from all three...going to be trying a pair of Zero Audio Carbo Tenore when they come in...

Very nice. My rotation includes SM64s, ZMF Master V1s, and now the SGs.

The X5 handles all three brilliantly.

May 30, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #10,009 of 19,652
This is my mobile rig. I have no regrets so far.

Nice rig! I had the Pico amp/dac before and a very good amp although I don't feel the need to add one to the X5, it's good as is. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't you connected on the HO instead of the LO? If so you should try LO to Pico amp input as is conventional for a LO, preventing you from double amping. :wink:

May 30, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #10,011 of 19,652
Hello, I'm recently new to the forum. I have a Fiio X5 and Shure SE215 and listening to Electronic, Trance, Ambient... when I compare it with my previous iPod nano(1st generation) and creative EP-630 I am a little disappointed!
SE215 It's seem Mids lack details, Bass is artificial, high's had that cheap tin-can sound, noise isolation only not bad... but only Cheapest IEM I've seen with a removable cable, professional design and build quality and Fiio X5 sounds darker in tonality than my iPod Nano!!!
after an two hours or little more discomfort, pain, and loss of sensitivity, In your opinion, what is the problem? my earphone player or my ears or hearing?
I think if upgrade SE215 to SE846 or ...  problem solving or nothing?

May 30, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #10,012 of 19,652
Hello, I'm recently new to the forum. I have a Fiio X5 and Shure SE215 and listening to Electronic, Trance, Ambient... when I compare it with my previous iPod nano(1st generation) and creative EP-630 I am a little disappointed!

SE215 It's seem Mids lack details, Bass is artificial, high's had that cheap tin-can sound, noise isolation only not bad... but only Cheapest IEM I've seen with a removable cable, professional design and build quality and Fiio X5 sounds darker in tonality than my iPod Nano!!!

after an two hours or little more discomfort, pain, and loss of sensitivity, In your opinion, what is the problem? my earphone player or my ears or hearing?

First make sure your X5 has been burned in for at least 40 consecutive hours, secondly the SE215 is Shure bottom tier earphones. I have two pairs including the SE215 limited edition, blue in color and with bass tuning, that already sounds pretty good but the best at this stage for me is the SE535 and the X5, that sounds much better detail wise. I noticed that as your player gets better, better earphones help revealing details. I find the SE535 a very good synergy with the X5 but heard that the SE846 is even better. If you can afford the SE846 then all the better otherwise even with the SE535 you'll be very happy.

So in conclusion let your player burn in first, it'll improve as it matures.

May 30, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #10,013 of 19,652

Also are you sure (no pun intended) the X5 amp has enough power to drive your earbuds?  I don't use 'buds myself but from what I've read here, a lot of folks with earbuds use a separate amp to drive them.  I use over the ear, closed headphones and I can tell you that "artificial bass" and "cheap tin-can sound" would be about as far away from my experience with the X5 as I could describe.  I have had much more time for my player to "burn in", but it was never as bad as you describe.

Someone else posted (and I can't recall who, sorry) that if you have headphones that are "colored" already (designed to accent part of the sound signature) that the X5 doesn't pair so well with these types of 'phones and I agree.  I originally tried to use some Bose OE2s with the X5 (which emphasize bass) and I thought they sounded like mud.  My replacement headphones are more neutral and sound much, much better with the X5.

May 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #10,014 of 19,652

Also are you sure (no pun intended) the X5 amp has enough power to drive your earbuds?  I don't use 'buds myself but from what I've read here, a lot of folks with earbuds use a separate amp to drive them.  I use over the ear, closed headphones and I can tell you that "artificial bass" and "cheap tin-can sound" would be about as far away from my experience with the X5 as I could describe.  I have had much more time for my player to "burn in", but it was never as bad as you describe.

Someone else posted (and I can't recall who, sorry) that if you have headphones that are "colored" already (designed to accent part of the sound signature) that the X5 doesn't pair so well with these types of 'phones and I agree.  I originally tried to use some Bose OE2s with the X5 (which emphasize bass) and I thought they sounded like mud.  My replacement headphones are more neutral and sound much, much better with the X5.

Please stop!  Thank you very much.  I sincerely hope you will continue with this wonderful and most enjoyable audio experience.  However, read as much as you can about the subject, and then go and audition what you can to arrive at your own conclusion.  This is a most subjective medium ...........Learn, and enjoy!

May 30, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #10,015 of 19,652

Given the fact that you're very new to the forum, you should do a little reading before posting this kind of question. 

The X5 is a very strong player without much of coloration. Most IEMs will play very well with it, the 215 is no exception (I've got a pair myself). Granted the 215 certainly isn't very high on the IEM ladder like the X5 is on the DAP ladder. Better IEMs should improve your experience. Another serious possibility is that your ears aren't used to deciphering some of the micro details that the player is able to reproduce, especially if you're used to an ipod nano.

Another thing to consider is your source files. If you're using low quality mp3 or aac files, then there's not much that better gear is going to do for you. Take these into consideration while you try to sort out your situation before dropping major $$$ on TOTL IEMs. 

May 30, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #10,016 of 19,652

Please stop!  Thank you very much.  I sincerely hope you will continue with this wonderful and most enjoyable audio experience.  However, read as much as you can about the subject, and then go and audition what you can to arrive at your own conclusion.  This is a most subjective medium ...........Learn, and enjoy!

Sorry, I don't get it.  Was your comment aimed at me or Nexxt?

May 30, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #10,017 of 19,652
Nice rig! I had the Pico amp/dac before and a very good amp although I don't feel the need to add one to the X5, it's good as is. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't you connected on the HO instead of the LO? If so you should try LO to Pico amp input as is conventional for a LO, preventing you from double amping.
wink.gif

Thanks for the Tip. I'll check it out later today.

May 30, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #10,018 of 19,652
  Is this a common bug? This is the second time I believe this has happened.
I charged my x5 fully yesterday, using the supplied cable and an iPhone USB to outlet adapter (what I usually do) and charged it for a few hours until the light turned green.
I went to play it in my car this morning and it was about to die.

I have my auto-shut off turned on and everything so it wasn't running all night.

Anyone else experience this?

Also, if there is a specific song that makes the x5 crash is there anything I can do to fix it? Besides not play it :)

I'm not sure if someone answered you yet, but i suspect the "auto-play" on turn on is the culprit in this case.

when you charge it, the device turns on, in "charging mode", and when you disconnect it, it goes to "normal mode", so if you have the resume mode at last position or last song, it'll start playing.

if this is not the case, i'd say the battery is dead.

May 30, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #10,019 of 19,652

I'm not sure if someone answered you yet, but i suspect the "auto-play" on turn on is the culprit in this case.

when you charge it, the device turns on, in "charging mode", and when you disconnect it, it goes to "normal mode", so if you have the resume mode at last position or last song, it'll start playing.

Hmm interesting. I do have the auto-play on (if by that you mean it starts playing where it left off) - but I still have the auto-shutoff set for 8mins, so no matter what it should never be left on for 8 mins, right? Maybe there is a bug where I am somehow not allowing the auto-shutoff to turn the x5 off, and the auto-play is just running it all night long? I would guess it's either that or something weird with the battery itself, but this only happened twice I think.

May 30, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #10,020 of 19,652

I don't find that the X5 goes to normal mode when disconnecting the power supply as my unit is turned off before charging. When I disconnect the power supply my unit has to be turned on

I can understand this behaviour if the charging is started while the X5 is switched on and playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back